FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
By Rodeoflyer
In relation to London. I've never been to England or an F1 race and am wondering if I can do both at once since there wont be a race at Indy next year :cry:
By Irv the Swerve
Welcome Rodeoflyer! :)

The track is located in Northamptonshire, north of London. It would be difficult travelling from London to the GP so it might be best just to stay near the circuit and have a blast! :D
By Selcouth_Feline
It's about 80 miles north of London so it's a fairly long way away - definitely a couple of hours drive at least. You could take the train (would take about an hour?), but our train services suck and are horrendously expensive. You'd be better off staying somewhere like Birmingham or one of the smaller towns nearby for the weekend.
By Rodeoflyer
Thanks. Hearing from the local boys is best. I would have to bring my girlfriend unfortunately :roll: so I have to plan the whole experience. I just want to go to the GP, smoke a couple of Cubans, and enjoy a few GOOD beers. She's gonna want to see all the touristy stuff. No disrespect to you boys but if I want to see Buckingham Palace i'll buy a postcard. GP first - vacation second right? :lol:
By texasmr2
Thanks. Hearing from the local boys is best. I would have to bring my girlfriend unfortunately :roll: so I have to plan the whole experience. I just want to go to the GP, smoke a couple of Cubans, and enjoy a few GOOD beers. She's gonna want to see all the touristy stuff. No disrespect to you boys but if I want to see Buckingham Palace i'll buy a postcard. GP first - vacation second right? :lol:

You rock brother and I got a good laugh concerning the girlfriend stuff, so true. I hope everything work's out for ya and enjoy the race.

Gregg
By Selcouth_Feline

Lol, I'd agree there...

If she really wants to do the touristy stuff, there is plenty of stuff to do in the West Midlands so she won't be bored! There are places like the Black Country museum, Cadbury World, Alton Towers - which leaves you free to go to the GP ;)
By ArtHowe
Cadbury World? :shock: Why would a first time visitor want to visit Willy Wonka's Works? It's hardly the London Eye, British Museum, Tate Gallery etc, etc. And do you think it's a good idea to suggest a place like Birmingham to someone who has never driven on the left hand side of the road? Birmingham... a gridlocked disaster, a depressing dump of a place. Its like recommending Detroit as a must see destination to someone who wants to go salmon fishing.

Avoid Birmingham at all costs Rodeoflyer, the only really great thing you'll see there is in
your rear view mirror when your leaving.
By ArtHowe
I suggest you book a B&B for the night before and night of the race at a nearby village or small town. Brackley is less than 9 miles away, Buckingham less than 7 miles, Siverstone Village slightly less than two. You will have to book well in advance, round about now wouldn't be too early! If you manage to get a place in Silverstone Village, you might be better off walking to the track as parking is a nightmare and getting out after the race is a nightmare if your in a car.

If you want somewhere further afield, Cambridge is the same distance away as Birmingham, 65 miles, and an infinitely nicer, more interesting and picturesque place than Birmingham. Personally, I think the closer the better. But book ahead well in advance.

http://www.silverstone.biz/

PERFECT for you. Beautiful place 650 yards from the track... book it now!
By texasmr2
When I finally make my maiden journey to England I hope I will be lucky enough to have some of my forum friend's show me the real stuff.
By Selcouth_Feline
Art - I'm not even sure why I'm contributing on this thread as my geography is totally useless :D And yeah, I guess Brum really should be avoided particularly if you are going to drive - Spaghetti junction...very nice to look at ;) I was just pointing out that there were things to do in the area if t'other half didn't want to go to the GP ;)

I didn't realise Cambridge was the same distance (it's not far from me) and I'll agree that it's a much nicer place.

And there is NOTHING wrong with Cadbury World. I got lots of free chocolate when I went ;)
By ArtHowe
And there is NOTHING wrong with Cadbury World. I got lots of free chocolate when I went ;)

Free chocolates is not, perhaps, at the top of Rodeoflyer's agenda, even though their Hershey's chocolate tastes like sh*t, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.
By darwin dali
I agree with your assessment of Hershey - it's disgusting! Luckily we also have Ghirardelli, which not too long ago was taken over by the Swiss experts Lindt :D
By Selcouth_Feline
I didn't realise Cadbury & Hershey were the same. I can't stand most Hershey chocolate. Lindt is lovely but my favourites at the moment are from Hotel Chocolat who do apricots in chocolate and orange jelly-stuff (like jaffa cakes but nicer) in dark chocolate.
By darwin dali
Lindt is just the tip of the iceberg. Go visit Swtzerland and you'll find more than a dozen different chocolate manufacturers, some of which don't export much out of the country if at all. Yummy stuff - the best :D
By ArtHowe
I didn't realise Cadbury & Hershey were the same. I can't stand most Hershey chocolate. Lindt is lovely but my favourites at the moment are from Hotel Chocolat who do apricots in chocolate and orange jelly-stuff (like jaffa cakes but nicer) in dark chocolate.

I didn't mean that Hersheys was the ssame company as Cadbury. I meant that Hershys is rubbish and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Willy Wonka's :D

I agree about Hotel Chocolat... I use them for all my female acquaintances' presents at Christmas time.

See our F1 related articles too!