FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.

No1 British Driver Ever?

Sterling Moss
7%
Jackie Stewart
31%
Damon Hill/Graham Hill
5%
Nigel Mansell
12%
John Surtees
No votes
0%
Jenson Button
3%
David Coulthard
7%
Jim Clark
29%
James Hunt
3%
Mike Hawthorn
3%
By Irv the Swerve
HAHA yeah...he's missed one person out Eddie Irvine LOL

Eddie himself might count that he is British but here in the Republic we always recognized that he was Irish. N.I is still Ireland only difference that it is under British rule.

i was jokin!!!!!!!!!!111111111

I know you were, just making a point. :D:P

typical irish...always bein seriuous when a joke is made

Unless we have been drinking. :wink:
By McLaren Fan
British, eh?
It's funny how suddenly they are British. In football they are Scots, Welsh, English, Northern Irish - I've always wondered why the Brits are allowed to have 4 sides while everybody else has only one. I don't know of another sport that gives them this unfair privilege - anybody?

If anything it's a disadvantage because it splits up the countries as players who are Scottish can't play for England etc.
By Phil.T.Ho's Mother

Eddie himself might count that he is British but here in the Republic we always recognized that he was Irish. N.I is still Ireland only difference that it is under British rule.

i was jokin!!!!!!!!!!111111111

I know you were, just making a point. :D:P

typical irish...always bein seriuous when a joke is made

Unless we have been drinking. :wink:

LOL you uys are weird...mroe weird than my son LOL
By darwin dali
British, eh?
It's funny how suddenly they are British. In football they are Scots, Welsh, English, Northern Irish - I've always wondered why the Brits are allowed to have 4 sides while everybody else has only one. I don't know of another sport that gives them this unfair privilege - anybody?

If anything it's a disadvantage because it splits up the countries as players who are Scottish can't play for England etc.

Not so sure about that. If I have the choice between sending one very good team which could stumble during Q and/or the tournament or sending 4 reasonably good squads - I dunno: if one of them stumbles, there's still 3 more. There's always the possibility that one of them becomes a tournament team to rise to the occasion...
By McLaren Fan
British, eh?

Not so sure about that. If I have the choice between sending one very good team which could stumble during Q and/or the tournament or sending 4 reasonably good squads - I dunno: if one of them stumbles, there's still 3 more. There's always the possibility that one of them becomes a tournament team to rise to the occasion...

Well, the fact is Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are too small to have much of an impact. England are the only team that are, supposed to anyway, much good. Sometimes the three smaller nations have a few good players, however, the rest of the team is not up to standard, so the good players don't get the rewards they probably merit at international level and they can't play for England. For example, George Best being from Northern Ireland, and Ryan Giggs playing for Wales. Two great players, England would loved to have had them, but it didn't work out. Only rarely (and thus very exciting occasions, coming from somebody from a tiny nation) do the smaller nations do something extraordinary, hence, the big deal about Northern Ireland being on a good run a while and Scotland continuing that good run in football. Anyway, that's the way the politics of the United Kingdom are and people from just about everywhere outside of the country (or countries :lol: ) struggle to grasp the concept.

P.S. There was talk of an all-Ireland football team and an all-Ireland domestic football league, which, again, shows that for the majority of the time there is strength in numbers.
By bud
they sometimes have the British Lions in Rugby although in the world cup they play as seperate nations.

Its tradition, legally they could play as the UK but they have been fighting for centuries on a tiny island be it sport or war why change now?
By darwin dali
Sepp Blatter today in China at the Women's Worldcup:

On England not being allowed to compete at the Olympics despite finishing as one of Europe's top three teams
Contrary to the structure of the Olympic games, in FIFA the UK countries divided into four separate national associations - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - but when comes to the Olympics there is no England team, there is only the possibility for a Great British team. The privilege that we afford to individual associations is no longer valid for the Olympics, and that is why the England team cannot qualify for the next Olympic games. It's that simple.

Definitely, when London hosts the Olympics, the women's and men's team will automatically qualify to play, but they will play under the nomination of Great Britain. But for 2008 they need to qualify and they cannot qualify as Great Britain as they have not entered the competition as Great Britain. It doesn't matter to us if they decide to enter as one team, but then they would lose all their current privileges, there would be no Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish national teams and leagues. Can you imagine what British football would look like?
By simac
Well, I have had to vote for DC seeing as i'm such a big fan LOL It was a close call between him and Mansell, i'm not old enough to see some of the others in action :lol::wink:
By britishtrident
Well, I have had to vote for DC seeing as i'm such a big fan LOL It was a close call between him and Mansell, I'm not old enough to see some of the others in action :lol::wink:

If it hadn't been for the changes in F1 qualifying David would have won a lot more. I often wonder how good Tony Brise woud have been had he not been killed along side Graham Hill.

James Hunt truly must have had a remarkable natural talent, it was only when he started commentating that I realise how little he actualy knew about racing cars.
Last edited by britishtrident on 02 Oct 07, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
By cap-dude
Jim Clark for sure.
I've read about some of the races he was in, the only thing that stopped him winning more championships was reliabilty, but he was still fast enough to not let that effect him winning twice
By britishtrident

The best "Irish" F1 driver in the last 40 years John Watson was very particular about being an "Ulsterman" and British.
By McLaren Fan

The best "Irish" F1 driver in the last 40 years John Watson was very particular about being an "Ulsterman" and British.

And given that Irvine was from Conlig, a very strong Unionist area, I'm sure he would like to be regarded as an Ulsterman and British, too.

Watson was a class act. Along with the likes of Alesi, it's a shame he won so little.
By britishtrident
Wato was also a very nice guy.
John Watson would have won more if he hadn't found himself along side Lauda as a team mate, Lauda got no1 driver treatment ----- lets face it Lauda was the super star driver of his day, the supreme technician-driver.
By yowl
Moss was the best... i think its a lack of awareness of his achievements that leaves him so far down.

Consider that though Clark was good, he consistently had the best cars, Moss was outstanbding in everything he tried.

See our F1 related articles too!