FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

Rate Monaco

1 Completely forgettable
29%
2 A snore-fest, dull, no action
43%
3 Boring, uneventful, only livened by mistakes.
No votes
0%
4 A procession at the front
14%
5 Some good battles
14%
6 A memorable race
No votes
0%
7 Competitive racing - hard fought, strategic
No votes
0%
8 Exciting - a dramatic finish or an upset
No votes
0%
9 Could be the best race of the season
No votes
0%
10 One for the Ages!
No votes
0%
By overboost
How was Prince Albert's race?
That was a strong 2 for me. The cars weren't even going fast, just cruising at Ricciardo's pace.
Last edited by overboost on 27 May 18, 19:38, edited 2 times in total.
DR's drive around his problems got me into a generous mood: a 2- is all I can give while in agreement with LH's comment.
By sagi58
Was truly torn between 0 and .5... since neither was available, I upgraded my vote to a 1.
Wow... why do I always expect Monaco to live up to the glitz and glamour of the city?
By Delfy
Didn’t think that was bad for Monaco. A few things going on.
Amazing drive from Danny, delighted for that guy. Stock on the rise!
What the hell was going on with Haas? :thumbdown:
Disappointing from McLaren
Force India looking better than for a while.
Leclerc and Gasly guy’s to watch, both impressive.
Merc, damage limitation .
Ferrari got away with a little bitee cheating
Max :yikes: fast but boy is this an error strewn season!
Alonso says Monaco GP "the most boring F1 race ever"

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso says the Monaco Grand Prix was "probably the most boring race ever in Formula 1".
No safety cars for the first time since 2009 meant the Monte Carlo event was mostly a processional race, with Daniel Ricciardo winning from pole despite having a car that was 25% down on power.

World champion Lewis Hamilton said after the race that the event "wasn't really racing", and Alonso - who missed last year's Monaco GP while competing in the Indy 500 - said he was underwhelmed by how the current cars felt around the principality.

When asked for his impressions of the new cars in Monaco, Alonso replied: "Extremely boring. I mean, this is probably the most boring race ever.

"Without a safety car, without yellow flags, I think the sport needs to think a little bit about the show because this is very disappointing.

"Probably the most boring race ever in Formula 1.

"So I think we probably need to give something to the fans at the end of the race just to pay the ticket back a little."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... r-1042410/
I gave it a 2, the only time that Monaco is interesting is when it rains, dry races in Monaco are processional by nature and 2018 didn't change that fact.
By Delfy
...Ferrari got away with a little bitee cheating ...

:confused:

The biggee they were being investigated for was how they used their battery. There were concerns from Mercedes and Red Bull that they were cheating and gaining excess power. I guess we’ll never know for sure because the FIA will keep it under wraps, but here are a few articles that refer to it.

https://www.thisisf1.com/2018/05/04/che ... ri-f1-car/

https://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/f ... a-20180528

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport ... 752f8b44ae

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/05/16 ... e-too-far/
By sagi58
Uh-Huh...

So, back to speculation, whenever Ferrari gets ahead.

Yet... there wasn't a lot of speculation aimed at Mercedes, was there? No, they had to be better, as they had the better driver... supposedly...

Let's take a moment to speculate of their "so-called" dominance... i.e., THREE years and THREE double titles

...Mercedes "helped" develop the rules/regulations for the hybrid engine, whilst developing their F1 engine simultaneously; weren't they being absolutely magnanimous in using their resources to "check" if all was well with the rules... uh-huh... that's not cheating, eh?

...Mercedes was "conveniently" allowed to keep their advantage in the hybrid era by a development freeze to ""keep costs down"" ... uh-huh... that's not cheating... nope...

...Mercedes secretly (read illegally) tested Pirelli tires; but, that isn't cheating, because ... well, because it was Mercedes.... uh-huh...

yup... uh huh ... gotta keep an eye on Ferrari, you just never know what they might be up to!! :rolleyes:
By Delfy
Whoa!!?? what’s this?

I commented on the actions at Monaco GP. Not the last decade in F1.
No there was no speculation about Mercedes because they weren’t the ones under investigation for battery cheating.
Mercedes weren’t dominant, Red Bull were.

Actually. I just had a thought. If Ferrari were under investigation and had monitoring equipment on their car, presumably it was in the Haas as well...that could account for their bad showing last weekend.
The Merc 'ERS witch hunt' ends with the FIA exposing that Merc had nothing but unsubstantiated old information from a former Ferrari employee. Looks like a pissed off FIA even named the names of the Merc staff who wasted their time on this.

Poor Toto mad.

So if Ferrari isn't 'cheating' then what is there for Mercedes to cling to?! They might actually have to compete!

Wolff 'disturbed' by FIA disclosures in Ferrari ERS case

"Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says he is disturbed by the FIA disclosing the names of two key members of the German team in the context of their role in initiating an investigation into Ferrari's ERS system.

The governing body put the Scuderia under scrutiny recently after it was brought to its attention that Ferrari could be circumventing the regulations by exploiting a clever battery system that enabled the deployment of more energy than allowed by the rules.

However, the issue was put to rest this weekend when the FIA announced that Ferrari had been cleared of any wrongdoing, putting an end to speculation that started as far back as Melbourne.

"The matter was exacerbated by unsubstantiated allegations that went through the paddock like wildfire," FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting was quoted as saying by the Mail on Sunday.

"It came from a Ferrari engine man now at Mercedes, but his information would be the length of his gardening leave old."

FIA investigation clears Ferrari of suspicions of cheating

The media outlet also reported that "Whiting identified the 'Ferrari engine man' as Lorenzo Sassi, and, more explosively, revealed that the matter was brought to the FIA's attention by Mercedes' technical director James Allison prior to the fourth race of the season in Baku."

The disclosures rattled Mercedes and particularly Toto Wolff.

"One of my roles is to protect my people and if certain individuals are named in the wrong context, then that is disturbing," Wolff said.

"Teams question the FIA every single day. I think it's not important to put it out that this person has questioned a legality topic.

"If you say a certain team has done that, then it is perfectly fine, that is modus operandi. Picking out individuals isn't the right thing."

Wolff insisted however that Mercedes - following the FIA's statement on the conformity of Ferrari's ERS - considered the case as closed.

"No judgement has been made on anything, no protest has been lodged, it's just a press statement," said Wolff.

"We trust them. If they have looked at things, then it's fine."
"

http://www.f1i.com/news/305492-wolff-di ... -case.html
By Delfy
You make Lorenzo Sassi sound like the guy who sweeps the floor. He was Ferrari chief engine designer.

Anyway. That’s fine, all done and dusted, no issue.......except the FIA will still continue to monitor Ferrari at Canada :wink: with additional monitoring equipment.

As I said at the outset, ‘Ferrari got away with a little bitee cheating’ But they may not be able to continue doing so henceforth. And it will all be swept under the carport. The FIA can’t afford a scandal especially in a season where the racing is close.
Good for Ferrari I say. It never ceases to amaze me the ingenious ways teams come up with circumnavigating rules and regulations. All part for F1 and always has been.
As Whiting said it was just "unsubstantiated allegations" by Merc employees. You know, fake news.

See our F1 related articles too!