FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By myownalias
It's still annoying as hell though...

Clearly, Liberty. and the FIA want this sort of controversy, given that they consistently leave gaping loopholes in the rules.
By sagi58
So, Mercedes on top again, maybe they will crash into each other like in 2016?

I really hope that Ferrari can keep Mercedes honest and truly fight for the win, Mercedes certainly do not have the advantage of pre-2017, but are Ferrari really quick enough to challenge?

Not sure how that's supposed to happen, with Pirelli invoking a "safety" clause, in order to give Mercedes what they wanted: basically, tires that Merecedes ILLEGALLY tested successfully last year!! :banghead:
By sagi58
Lauda shaking hands with Pirelli guy after front row lockout. Smiling too! "Fantastic".

https://streamable.com/c6a1s

Again, Ferrari made it to the front of F1 teams for years through hard work, lap after lap after lap... Mercedes gets Pirelli to make their lives easier, because it wasn't enough that Mercedes had the advantage of developing their engine while they "assisted" the FIA to write the rules/regulations for the hybrid engine... and, then, getting a freeze on engine development to ""save"" money?? As far as I'm concerned, Mercedes' Constructor's and Hamilton's Driver's Titles are bogus!! :thumbup:
By sagi58
Lauda shaking hands with Pirelli guy after front row lockout. Smiling too! "Fantastic".

https://streamable.com/c6a1s

This sort of thing has happened throughout the history of F1, for many years, Ferrari was the #1 priority for Bridgestone back in the 2000's. All teams will take whatever advantage they can get, so I really can't get angry abo this...

Granted, Bridgestone's priority was Ferrari; BUT, teams had a choice between tire suppliers, that's NOT the case today!

Also, I don't believe Bridgestone invoked a convenient "safety" clause during the season to intentionally give the advantage to a team that ILLEGALLY tested their tires!

Finally, Bridgestone did not have the option to DICTATE what tires teams were allowed to use at different races!

So, maybe you can't...
... so I really can't get angry about this...

But, I CAN!! :thumbdown:
By sagi58

Annoying is not the descriptor I'd use: :vomit:
By sagi58

Clearly, Liberty. and the FIA want this sort of controversy, given that they consistently leave gaping loopholes in the rules.

In all fairness to Liberty, they have to check the lay of the land, where the rules go! I'm sure they've asked for feedback from teams, etc and have a lot of info to sort through!

Obviously, suppliers will have been asked to do so, as well! Obviously, Pirelli's feedback would have been biased towards them keeping the strangelhold on supplying tires, as well as keeping Mercedes at the forefront of their decisions!

Here's hoping other teams become more vocal!!
By sagi58
I was under the impression that "only" Ferrari use team orders, rather that's what Ferrari-haters would have us believe.

Interestingly enough, the commentators stated the following (paraphrased, of course):

"It's crucial that Vettel pass Bottas when the race starts, otherwise Bottas will protect Lewis."
(by the way, most of the time drivers are referred to by their last names; but, these guys always
use Hamilton's first name, as if he has special status... oh, wait, he does, eh?)

IF Mercedes really had NO team orders and IF they really wanted their drivers to race, there is no
reason for Bottas to "protect" Hamilton, is there? NO reason why his vehicle SEEMS slower and
why Hamilton should take off into the sunset, whilst Bottas SOMEHOW slows everyone else down.

Hypocritical is what that is!!
By myownalias
Obviously, Hamilton is #1 at Mercedes, like Vettel is #1 at Ferrari, so a good #2 will always watch his team leaders six. I guess that Ferrari got their reputation for team orders during the time when team orders were actually banned, especially during the Schumacher era, where Ferrari was blatantly flouting the team order rules, yet, no punishment ever came.

Anyway, onto the race, it was freaking dull, so much so that, I actually did some work during the race. The takeaways from this race, Mercedes are back in charge, a dominant win for Hamilton, while Ferrari is flailing strategically, it was a poor decision to pit Vettel during the VSC and then a slow stop cost him second and third.

Verstappen, goes five for five in terms of crashes/contact with other cars and frankly go lucky that the damage was not worse. Yes, Stroll was slow, but it's still Verstappen's fault, it's the following driver that has to maintain a safe gap, we failed to do that.

That's about it for the "Spainish" GP.... it won't be a race that lives on the memory.
By sagi58
Obviously, Hamilton is #1 at Mercedes, like Vettel is #1 at Ferrari...

It is quite obvious that Hamilton is #1 and so what?
What I don't care for is their :bs: that they don't believe in team orders.

...I guess that Ferrari got their reputation for team orders during the time when team orders were actually banned, especially during the Schumacher era, where Ferrari was blatantly flouting the team order rules, yet, no punishment ever came...

Exactly! Ferrari don't pretend to let their drivers compete. I would suggest to you that ALL teams have team orders to one extent or another.

That impossible to enforce rule was little more than a farcical knee-jerk reaction. The FIA obviously knew there was no way to monitor the codes teams could come up with (...hold station comes readily to mind...) that they didn't bother punishing a team that was, at least, being honest about using them.

Whatever... we no long have to worry about team orders between drivers, because now we have suppliers (i.e., Pirelli) following them, which will determine who will be crowned WDC!!! :bs:
By Delfy
Not a bad race considering it’s Barcelona, it’s usually dire.
Haas seem to be cementing their position as a strong midfielder, possibly fourth best team. I’m delighted. But what is Grosjean playing at?? He needs replacing next season, points are being squandered. I’m happy with Mags, a solid driver who won’t be intimidated.

Other than that. Faultless from Hamilton. Ferrari’s turn to chicken up the strategy. Ricciardo a little lack lustre. Leclerc looking strong again.
By myownalias

I don't recall Mercedes ever saying they don't believe in team orders, they do let their drivers race up to a point, just that Valtteri just has not been quick enough this season, we saw an epic battle in 2016 between Hamilton and Rosberg. Mercedes have said that they would use team orders when it was advantageous, for example, when one driver has a convincing lead over the other and is battling a driver from another team, which is just good driver management, look what happened with Red Bull in Azerbaijan, Horner should have called off the race, but didn't and they lost a bag full of points. It was commentators that said that Bottas was there to protect Hamilton, not Mercedes themselves.
By sagi58

I don't recall Mercedes ever saying they don't believe in team orders, they do let their drivers race up to a point, just that Valtteri just has not been quick enough this season, we saw an epic battle in 2016 between Hamilton and Rosberg. Mercedes have said that they would use team orders when it was advantageous, for example, when one driver has a convincing lead over the other and is battling a driver from another team, which is just good driver management, look what happened with Red Bull in Azerbaijan, Horner should have called off the race, but didn't and they lost a bag full of points. It was commentators that said that Bottas was there to protect Hamilton, not Mercedes themselves.

You're right, it was the commentators, so I'll give them that chatting about protection for Hamilton.

You maybe right about Mercedes not using team orders; but, let's face it, they haven't needed to these past three years, thanks to them writing their own ticket on the hybrid rules.

Maybe what I'm confusing that with is the time Hamilton flagrantly ignored a directive to let Rosberg past, insisting that he'd get the job done?

I guess, saying Mercedes may use team orders is kind of like saying someone who is a member of Mensa might study for a grade 2 math quiz.

Completely unnecessary.

Thanks for letting me rant... I was/am really annoyed by this Pirelli business!! :blush:
By overboost
Vettel: Ferrari would have been worse off in Spain with normal F1 tyres

After testing the Barcelona spec tires and the normal Pirelli tires back to back today Vettel is convinced that he was better off having the special thinner Barcelona tires. Looks like the Ferrari was just not competitive in Spain.

Doesn't really bode well for the future races for Ferrari especially at Silverstone and Paul Ricard where similar conditions are expected. And at Monaco and Montreal where Merc is expected to do well as well.

"I think it’s pretty straightforward. Normally you don’t get the chance to revisit these kind of decisions that are made, but I think we did now with the day that we had today," Vettel said.

"I think the result is that if we had the normal tyres on Sunday, we would have probably been even worse off.

"I think it was the correct call, and it was our fault not to have the same tyre wear or life as other people."

Vettel completed more than 130 laps en route to P3 during Tuesday's test at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, with the Ferrari driver relishing the chance to try and find a solution for its difficulties at the last race.

"It’s good to have the test to be able to compare and I think we have some ideas. Now it’s up to us to turn those ideas into reality," Vettel said.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/896086/1/ ... rmal-tyres
By overboost
I would say while the tires helped Ferrari they helped Mercedes alot more.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season unfolds as usually Barcelona is a bellwether race.

See our F1 related articles too!