FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
This is F1. Teams will always look to exploit any loophole available. All teams do this and have done since F1 began. I can understand the frustration when your team isn’t the recipient of rule tweeks / changes but it’s swings and roundabouts. I’ve read a fair bit on this forum , though I haven’t posted much , and it seems a Ferrari weighted place. I have huge admiration for Ferrari, their achievements and charisma over the years, but they aren’t above playing any card that will give them advantage. Fair do’s I say! Talking of tyres, during the Schumacher years they pretty much had an exclusive tyre designer. Last year they were oil burning. This is the nature of F1. Its the edge of technology and teams will always look to get an advantage. But you can’t accept that advantage then cry foul if another team does the same.

Making a mid season change on tire formulas to benefit one team is not a loophole imo. This is a major change.

Why can't Merc simply adapt their car to the approved rubber as the other teams had? I don't think it is the place of the FIA to be playing favorites like this mid-season. Merc doesn't have a right to a 1 second gap as far as I know but that is what it looks like with these custom tires.

Also Merc had perfected using oil as fuel over the past three seasons and were burning oil at a much higher rate than the others last season. Closing the oil loophole over the off season has closed the gap between the top three teams which I think is a good thing.

And having those ridiculous engine freeze rules removed allowing the other teams compete has been a plus as well. All we can ask for is the teams to have the opportunity to fairly compete which is something that the engine rules had negated over turbo era until now.
By Delfy
This is F1. Teams will always look to exploit any loophole available. All teams do this and have done since F1 began. I can understand the frustration when your team isn’t the recipient of rule tweeks / changes but it’s swings and roundabouts. I’ve read a fair bit on this forum , though I haven’t posted much , and it seems a Ferrari weighted place. I have huge admiration for Ferrari, their achievements and charisma over the years, but they aren’t above playing any card that will give them advantage. Fair do’s I say! Talking of tyres, during the Schumacher years they pretty much had an exclusive tyre designer. Last year they were oil burning. This is the nature of F1. Its the edge of technology and teams will always look to get an advantage. But you can’t accept that advantage then cry foul if another team does the same.

Making a mid season change on tire formulas to benefit one team is not a loophole imo. This is a major change.

Why can't Merc simply adapt their car to the approved rubber as the other teams had? I don't think it is the place of the FIA to be playing favorites like this mid-season. Merc doesn't have a right to a 1 second gap as far as I know but that is what it looks like with these custom tires.

Also Merc had perfected using oil as fuel over the past three seasons and were burning oil at a much higher rate than the others last season. Closing the oil loophole over the off season has closed the gap between the top three teams which I think is a good thing.

And having those ridiculous engine freeze rules removed allowing the other teams compete has been a plus as well. All we can ask for is the teams to have the opportunity to fairly compete which is something that the engine rules had negated over turbo era until now.

Well as I understand it, it’s not a mid season change to benefit one team. It’s in response to issues experienced in preseason testing by Mercedes and Red Bull. Pirelli wanted the change not the FIA. They would have requested it anyway for certain tracks .....
"We made a request to the FIA to have a slightly different tread thickness for three races," said Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola.

"That's Barcelona, Silverstone and Paul Ricard.

"The reason for this request is that, in general, the new tarmac has a lot of grip, low wear, and low degradation.”

Closing the oil burn loophole is a good move. But it was Ferrari under suspicion and spoken to by the FIA last year. So again, you can’t really call out one team when others are doing the same thing.

I agree about the engine freeze rules being removed . But this rule was a joint decision by all F1 teams to limit costs. The FIA wanted to limit costs by limiting budgets. The big teams rejected that.
By overboost

Well as I understand it, it’s not a mid season change to benefit one team. It’s in response to issues experienced in preseason testing by Mercedes and Red Bull. Pirelli wanted the change not the FIA. They would have requested it anyway for certain tracks .....
"We made a request to the FIA to have a slightly different tread thickness for three races," said Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola.

"That's Barcelona, Silverstone and Paul Ricard.

"The reason for this request is that, in general, the new tarmac has a lot of grip, low wear, and low degradation.”

Closing the oil burn loophole is a good move. But it was Ferrari under suspicion and spoken to by the FIA last year. So again, you can’t really call out one team when others are doing the same thing.

I agree about the engine freeze rules being removed . But this rule was a joint decision by all F1 teams to limit costs. The FIA wanted to limit costs by limiting budgets. The big teams rejected that.

You were the one calling out one team, Ferrari, for oil burning. I responded by pointing out correctly with the facts that Merc had been doing it for years and were burning more oil than any other team last season. They even took their last grouping of new engines early as to avoid the reduced oil use rules. It was that important to them.

About the tires, it was only Mercedes who complained to Pirelli and the FIA about the blistering of their tires at Barcelona during testing. Pirelli then made special tires to solve Mercedes inherent problems with their chassis/suspension and the FIA quickly rubber stamped it as a 'safety' issue. The outcome today with the first Merc pole of the season and an all Merc front row shows that it worked to perfection!

The engine freeze was a failure which did nothing but drive costs up actually and gave fans nothing but terrible racing with no competition permitted to Mercedes on the power unit front at all. The FIA really dropped the ball by freezing what were year 1 prototype engines.
By Delfy
I wasn’t calling Ferrari out. I said fair dos if they found a loophole and expoilted it.

I’d understood two teams had tyre trouble in Barcelona Testing. Red Bull and Mercedes. It was Vettel that pointed this out. Apologies if he was wrong.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/10/vet ... -red-bull/

Regarding the engine freeze. The greedy richer teams should have listened to the FIA in the first place and limited budgets. Then they wouldnthave had the freeze imposed on them.
By overboost
Trump-Kim Summit

Pablo M. Díez

@PabloDiez_ABC
Follow Follow @PabloDiez_ABC

Press center for the Trump-Kim Summit in #Singapore, located at the F1 Pit Building. Let’s hope everything is on track and there are no accidents! #SummitUSDPRK

https://twitter.com/PabloDiez_ABC/statu ... 3986053121
By overboost
Reports are that Lawrence Sroll has bought Force India. Lance expected to move over to be a partner driver to Perez with Ocon moving to Renault, Sainz to McLaren and Vandoorne out.

I wonder what the teams new name will be? Force Strolia.

Or how about just plain Lancia. That sounds familiar somehow!

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 32825.html
Last edited by overboost on 24 Jul 18, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reports are that Lawrence Sroll has bought Force India. Lance expected to move over to be a partner driver to Perez with Ocon moving to Renault, Sianz to McLaren and Vandoorne out.

I wonder what the teams new name will be? Force Strolia.

Or how about just plain Lancia. That sounds familiar somehow!

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 32825.html

Not with a Merc engine in the back...

Team: Stroll in the Park? :thumbup:
By myownalias
I wish I had a rich daddy to buy me an F1 teams, although, my father did once buy me a very accurate model of an F1 car, just a shame it was an F2002 Ferrari.... :banghead:
By overboost
If you don't want it I will take it! :yes:
By myownalias
If you don't want it I will take it! :yes:

I don't have it anymore, I gave it to a Ferrari supporting friend before I moved to the US.
By overboost
Ferrari Spec 3 PU for Hungary - 30 to 40 Hp over Spec 2.

Interesting that Raikkonen is still running the Spec 1 engine, so a bigger boost for him.

What a breath of fresh air this is, actual in season engine development. Something that Merc and their 'token' system fought so hard to prevent. And it only took about 18 months after the system was removed for the others to catch up and now possibly even exceed the Merc PU. It also looks like Merc has lost the ability to develop their PU as they have been static for the whole season. Too dependent on the tokens were they?

https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/stat ... 9269302273

Chris Medland

@ChrisMedlandF1
Follow Follow @ChrisMedlandF1
More Chris Medland Retweeted Chris Medland
Figure I’ve heard today is a gain of around 40hp. Not likely to make a huge difference here, but substantial in Spa and Monza #F1 #HungarianGPChris Medland added,
Chris Medland

@ChrisMedlandF1
New Ferrari PUs for Haas and Sauber this weekend, and the upgrade sounds like it's a pretty significant performance boost... #F1 #HungarianGP
5:47 AM - 26 Jul 2018
Last edited by overboost on 26 Jul 18, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
By sagi58
Ferrari Spec 3 PU for Hungary - 30 to 40 Hp over Spec 2.

"...It also looks like Merc has lost the ability to develop their PU as they have been static for the whole season. Too dependent on the tokens were they?"

Chris Medland
‏@ChrisMedlandF1

Go figure, eh??

p.s. As I seem to have come a "gambler", I'm betting Chris won't be issued a pit pass by Mercedes!!
By overboost
Oops. You can't credit Mr. Medland for that wonderful bit of insight as that was my observation.

Addicted to 'tokens' was Merc!
By sagi58
Oops. You can't credit Mr. Medland for that wonderful bit of insight as that was my observation.

Addicted to 'tokens' was Merc!

My apologies!! :blush:

p.s. we all KNOW you're not getting a pit pass, either!! haha....
By overboost
:hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!