FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By myownalias
I think it was an accident, I don't think that Max deliberately crashed into his team mate, let's just call it youthful exuberance, but given that it ended Ricciardo's race, the punishment was fair.

I have to say that Daniel was very restrained in the post race interviews... you could see he wanted to tear Max a new one.
By sagi58
Since it was (obviously) an accident, why the 10-second penalty?
Is that up to the stewards' discretion? I ask because the announcers
seemed certain it wouldn't be.

Yup... Ricciardo was truly and visibly upset!!
By andrew
Andrew, I don't think that Bottas was screwed, he was stuck behind Raikkonen for many laps, making no inroads, so it made sense to let Hamilton have a go. All credit to Hamilton, he did hand the 3rd place back to Bottas when he couldn't make the move on the Ferrari's and Hamilton had to slow down significantly to allow Bottas to pass, it's not like he was immediately behind.

They could have let Bottas turn his engine up (like they allowed Hamilton) and have a crack at the Ferrari's.

He handed it back, because he was told to hand it back. The BBC and other UK based so-called media are hailing the guy as a wonderful sportsman and he's portraying himself as a freaking martyr. People are so myopic, he was simply following team orders (for once).
By myownalias

Why the penalty? because nothing is just a racing incident these days, especially when another driver is taken out of the race as a result.

It's very rare in modern F1 that it's just a racing incident, however, in this case, I think the punishment was fair, Max went in way too hot and as a result, his team mate was out of the race.
By andrew

Yup... Ricciardo was truly and visibly upset!!

He's got form for driving like a drunken Mr Magoo. About time he started to be punished.

It was an avoidable collision so the punishment was fair. I think Ricciardo hit the nail on the head with his comments.
By myownalias
Andrew, I don't think that Bottas was screwed, he was stuck behind Raikkonen for many laps, making no inroads, so it made sense to let Hamilton have a go. All credit to Hamilton, he did hand the 3rd place back to Bottas when he couldn't make the move on the Ferrari's and Hamilton had to slow down significantly to allow Bottas to pass, it's not like he was immediately behind.

They could have let Bottas turn his engine up (like they allowed Hamilton) and have a crack at the Ferrari's.

I didn't see any evidence that Bottas was not allowed to turn his engine "up', there was no radio transmission I heard telling him he could not.

He handed it back, because he was told to hand it back. The BBC and other UK based so-called media are hailing the guy as a wonderful sportsman and he's portraying himself as a freaking martyr. People are so myopic, he was simply following team orders (for once).

Yes, it was a team order and he followed it, he could have easily not done so and would have gotten away scot-free as Mercedes never punish the golden boy.
By overboost
Based on Wolff's reaction in this video to Hamilton's giving the place back to Bottas I would say that an interteam power struggle has been playing out and that finally Toto has Lewis under his control. Wolff is absolutely enthusiastic over Hamilton's last corner podium gift to Bottas, a personal victory for him I would say.

Wolff is the big dog now, it is probably related to contract negotiations and Hamilton's absolute lack of options for a race winning car and Merc's ability to get anyone they want in that seat.

[youtube]AurfDcOHQQA[/youtube]
By sagi58

Ironically, when he doesn't follow team orders, he's hailed as a saint who stands for what's right..
oh, wait... that's what a martyr is, eh?

Win, win for him!! :rolleyes:
By sagi58

Why the penalty? because nothing is just a racing incident these days, especially when another driver is taken out of the race as a result.

It's very rare in modern F1 that it's just a racing incident, however, in this case, I think the punishment was fair, Max went in way too hot and as a result, his team mate was out of the race.

Thanks, MOA!!

So... since my memory fails me, when it comes to stats...
hasn't it happened that a driver hits another, ruins his race
and after an investigation, he isn't penalized... worse, there
is no investigation?
By sagi58
:eek:

Keith Collantine wrote:">Ferrari discovered Vettel’s steering problem before the race began

Ferrari was aware of the steering problem on Sebastian Vettel’s car before the Hungarian Grand Prix even started.

Vettel revealed after Sunday’s race that the problem was discovered during the formation lap.

“Driving the car to the grid was fine but then for the formation lap we [realised] that the steering wheel was not straight,” Vettel explained.

The race was neutralised by the Safety Car soon after it began. Within a few laps of the race restarting Vettel discovered the problem was costing him time.

“I did the start and then there was a Safety Car and then during the opening laps I felt that it wasn’t right but it didn’t impact too much because it was only small.”

“Then it did get worse and towards the end of the stint it started to ramp up and gradually get worse. It was more and more difficult.”

Vettel’s lap times began to slow after lap ten of the 70-lap race. “It was difficult,” he said, “but the mindset that I had half way through the race was ‘it doesn’t matter. I can’t change it now – I’d love to but can’t. We keep going and just try to hang in there as much as possible.'”

“The race felt very, very long. Every lap I was looking down, it didn’t end. The last couple of laps I was able to find a bit of a rhythm, opened a bit of a gap, which helped me to take the very last bit of the race a bit easier through the traffic and controlled the race to the end.”

“The result is great. How we got there was very tense but very happy, obviously great result for the team.”
By sagi58
Based on Wolff's reaction in this video to Hamilton's giving the place back to Bottas I would say that an interteam power struggle has been playing out and that finally Toto has Lewis under his control. Wolff is absolutely enthusiastic over Hamilton's last corner podium gift to Bottas, a personal victory for him I would say..

Let's face it, Hamilton does NOT have a history of obeying team orders.
Who knows what's going on behind closed doors; but, we do know how
many times Hamilton himself has said that he wouldn't want to win any
race/title with help from his teammates... and, yet, when he couldn't get
past Bottas, he had no problem asking for a chance to catch up with the
Ferraris... which, he didn't, in the end... maybe he was too embarrassed
to be on the podium, after all that transpired?? Imagine the questions??
By rob91
Hamilton was wrong to give up third because Bottas had fallen away in the race, if he had kept up behind Hamilton then maybe okay but he didn't so I was very surprised that Hamilton gave his place to Bottas. It may cost him the championship too, it is too close to give anything away for free, this was a weak move.
By myownalias
So... since my memory fails me, when it comes to stats...
hasn't it happened that a driver hits another, ruins his race
and after an investigation, he isn't penalized... worse, there
is no investigation?

You can bet your bottom dollar on it, application of the rules has been incredibly inconsistent over the years. The same crime does not always yield the same punishment.
By myownalias
Hamilton was wrong to give up third because Bottas had fallen away in the race, if he had kept up behind Hamilton then maybe okay but he didn't so I was very surprised that Hamilton gave his place to Bottas. It may cost him the championship too, it is too close to give anything away for free, this was a weak move.

I did think this as well due to Hamilton having to let lapped cars back through to allow Bottas to move back into third place. But, I think that he did it because it could affect cooperation from Bottas in the future. Bottas could have in theory kept Hamilton behind for the remainder of the race due to the nature of the Hungaroring circuit. Hamilton probably thinks that he may need Bottas' help in latter stages of the season to win the title, and didn't want to burn his bridges should that become the situation.
By overboost

See our F1 related articles too!