FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
By CigarGuy
Is Vettel #1 because he won last year? Is that by default?
Does that mean Hammy/Nico HAVE to change to #1 next year and
Vettel HAS to relinquish the number?
Bunch of wish guys and gals.........
By LRW

Yes he is #1 because he won last year. Next year he reverts to his chosen number of #5.

Next year Nico/Ham can either keep their respective #6 and #44 OR take the #1 - their choice.

This system was only introduced this year.

Previous to that, it was based on constructors finishing places. So the winning team from year before had cars #1 and #2, second place constructor had cars #3 and #4, and so on.....
By CigarGuy

Yes he is #1 because he won last year. Next year he reverts to his chosen number of #5.

Next year Nico/Ham can either keep their respective #6 and #44 OR take the #1 - their choice.

Previous to that, it was based on constructors finishing places. So the winning team from year before had cars #1 and #2, second place constructor had cars #3 and #4, and so on.....

That's going to be helpful info when watching old races, then.
I've recorded a 2 hour documentary called "1", which looks pretty good.
By Jabberwocky

As LRW loves it when I cause more conundrums.

before this year (well in recent history) the numbers where as LRW said, apart from the number 13!
By darwin dali

before this year (well in recent history) the numbers where as LRW said, apart from the number 13!

And apart from #1 if the current champ switched teams and took the number 1 with him...
Or the current champ retires and the new driver for the champion team then took #0...
By What's Burning?
I hope hammy keeps his 44. The number 1 rule now is optional, only the reigning champ can choose to wear it.
By LRW

And apart from #1 if the current champ switched teams and took the number 1 with him...
Or the current champ retires and the new driver for the champion team then took #0...

You know the FiA. They love to keep it simple.
By Jabberwocky
Whilst we are on the subject. Can a current driver change his number before the following season?
By LRW
Whilst we are on the subject. Can a current driver change his number before the following season?

I don't think a driver can change his/her number. Ever.
By darwin dali

Unless he becomes world champion :P
And what about retired drivers coming back, but somebody else has already taken their old number??? :eek: Maybe the solution would be a ghost number with just an outline for those zombies... :hehe:
By LRW

And what about retired drivers coming back, but somebody else has already taken their old number??? :eek: Maybe the solution would be a ghost number with just an outline for those zombies... :hehe:

I'm sure they said retired drivers numbers would also get retired......?
By darwin dali

Ah, so you want 3-digit numbers down the road?! :eek:
By LRW

Ah, so you want 3-digit numbers down the road?! :eek:

That was what I thought. Especially the rate the lower teams go through drivers. But thats what I read.

Maybe it was just world champions, and not common ilk like Maldonado ?

See our F1 related articles too!