FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
The h8rz had a bit of a faux pax recently. The biggest stick against voting for Lewis was that he didnt pay ENOUGH tax in Britain, even though he spent less time here as part of his job travelling the world. So it was said the public shouldn't vote for tax dodgers. it was also said that he shouldnt wave the flag as he was from Monaco.

Then they realised that Rory along with all the other golfers were actually resident in the States - Florida IIRC for ...yup tax reasons, so no more was heard about Tax.

Reminds me of a few years ago when the DAF were campaigning against Lewis, again on the tax issue, and saying he was not patriotic (Jackie Stewart was a leading voice here, one of the most proliferate people with his money north of Hadrians wall)
That patriotic issue disappeared when news came out that Prince Charles Duchy estate was actually setup ....yup you got it .... as an offshore based entity for tax reasons

Oh well, at least he is still hard on his tyres
Based on the odds Lewis isn't going to win tonight, Rory Mac is 1.05 where as Lewis is 5.3

All propaganda Ry, misleading stats, just as the last feww weeks have been article after article about why Rory was the favorite and why he was leading all the 'opinion polls' and how the bookies had stopped taking money on him etc etc

Luckily a lot of the people voting lewis probably couldt afford to buy the high brow newspapers and didnt realise Rory was the one to vote for :hehe:
And the Mail have the last say on the matter

It was a shock because the bookmakers had installed Rory McIlroy the odds-on favourite. Hamilton had always seemed to be ‘Marmite’ — loved or hated — but the people who like him spread their love in the live phone-in to take him one place higher than he managed in 2007 and 2008.

McIlroy, who looked upset, was second. Jo Pavey, who won two major athletics medals — including European gold in the 10,000m — at the age of 40 and having returned to the track in May after the birth of her second child, was third.

The claims of both Hamilton, who took his dog Roscoe for a walk on the red carpet before the ceremony, and McIlroy were immense.

McIlroy’s brilliance was showcased in 25 days, starting with his first round at Hoylake, where he won the Open, and finishing with his final round at Valhalla, where he won the US PGA Championship. His first World Golf Championship win, at Firestone, Ohio, fell in the middle. His aggregate total was 48 under par and 11 of the 12 rounds under 70.

Remarkable statistics by any stretch and then there was the sheer uninhibited style of his play. Those claims were impressive.

But so were Hamilton’s. He was only the fourth Briton ever to win double world championships – Graham Hill, Jim Clark and Stewart being the others. He has won more races than any compatriot ever (33). His 11 race wins this season was another national record.

Oh, yes, the car was good but his ability to put it in places others could not at speeds they could not match was remarkable. It has been that way ever since he announced himself as a talent of rare brilliance. And he does it in a dangerous sport.

One does wonder, however, how much nationality had to play in the outcome. McIlroy has said he will compete for Ireland at the Olympics. Hamilton, despite where his taxes are paid, is avowedly British

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
YEESSS!! British Sports Personatily of the year!! So pleased for him, he looked very moved when he made his speech. I was out tonight so I recorded the programme and have just seen him win :cloud9: I did of course take my phone with me and vote for him. What a great year for Lewis and his fans!!
image.jpg

Lewis and his brother at the awards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Its been a dream of a season for his h8rz as well,

Well its possible they wouldnt describe it just as a dream, maybe they would add detail and call it a nightmare

seems some of them are still sleep walking though as they havent signed in recently
Lewis Hamilton defied the heavy favouritism bestowed on Rory McIlroy, as the Formula One world champion won the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year award in Glasgow on Sunday evening.

With minutes to go before the winner was announced, McIlroy was heavily favoured to become the first golfer in 25 years to lift the trophy. Instead, Hamilton prevailed with 209, 920 telephone votes from 620,932 cast, with the golfer edged into second place on 123, 745. Athlete Jo Pavey, a source of inspiration to many on account of distance running heroics, took third on 99,931 votes.

209k vs 123k???? wasnt even close, yet minutes before the Beeb were acting like Rory had won, heavily favoured?? by the BBc luvvies and the steakdinner journos?? did they not try a public poll or social media search for whats trending???

Lewis got 33% of the vote
Rory got 19%
Jo got 15%

And the bookies had Rory as clear favourite and the poor chap had his hopes high only to be Rosberged at the last stage :hehe:
The whole tax thing with celebrities living in other countries is pathetic.

If they want to live in another country for the weather, surroundings, atmosphere, lifestyle, cost of living or anything else then It's fair enough. Non-celebrities do it so why should celebrities get moaned about.

He clearly loves Britain still, just like Richard Branson and they're both assets to the UK regardless of where their money is. It's a non-issue.
And we have the 'backlash'

McIlroy was the runaway favourite with bookmakers but instead it was Hamilton who was given the honour at the Glasgow ceremony, as a reward for winning his second drivers' world championship.
The decision - which is made by the public - was swiftly met with a mixture of anger and perplexion by some of the leading figures of golf, who rallied to McIlroy's cause.

His Ryder Cup captain, Paul McGinley, said he was “very disappointed. I don’t think that a golfer can have a better year than Rory did.
“Lewis Hamilton had a good year too but it would be difficult for any golfer to do better than Rory did this year.
“He’s a great guy who takes his responsibilities as the world’s No 1 player very seriously. We are lucky to have him. I don’t know why he didn’t win. I don’t know what the issues are but I don’t want to take away from Lewis Hamilton.”
On Twitter, McIlroy's supporters were equally quick to defend his corner. Luke Donald, the former world No1 and McIlroy's Ryder Cup teammate in 2012, wrote: "Lot of angry people on my timeline... Unfortunately as long as SPOTY continues to be a public vote then this will continue to happen!"

So Rorys mates and the bookies are angry but concede that the public voted for Lewis in the public vote - yet this is the news reported and not who won it

the h8rz are a gift that keep giving, 2015 is gonna be a real blast

See our F1 related articles too!