FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

If lewis (or even Nico) dnfs from Merc unreliability, will Merc retire both cars

Yes
9%
No
91%
No opinion
No votes
0%
I am of the firm opinion that Daimler would not want the potential negative press and 10x the bile and derision they attracted to their Mercedes brand after the Spa incident. As it stands Lewis has had a couple more major technical issues with his car as well as a dnf after the avoidable crash by his teammate.

therefore I am of the firm opinion that should either car suffer a technical issue at the final double points circus, the only option for Merc would be to retire both cars before the end of the race, probably due to 'electronic' issues during a pit stop.

If we consider the reality and utility function of team orders, then this is a completely legitimate and clever use of them. Nico and Lewis will be briefed before hand, both are employees and are bound by the contracts to obey team directives by not blabbing or complaining.

If its lewis with a dnf, why would Merc want the negative press? If it is Nico with the Dnf then to be fair they should retire Lewis as well

The WCC and WDC already belong to Merc, Nico owes lewis a dnf, the only way for Nico to win the WDC would be by a Merc failure to provide Lewis with a working car and therefore why would they not do this.

So i am interested in seeing what you lot think about this? or do we really think F1 doesnt work this way and this would be left to chance if avoidable?
Seems a bit too fixed to me if they have to retire a car just to ensure 'fairness'. I think they are just going to give reliability a high priority and hope for the best. What if Lewis' car fails after the pistops? Can they use telemetry to screw up Nicos? Would they want to do that to ensure 'fairness'? Could they do it even if they wanted to?

I'm not really worried about a DNF for Lewis in Abu Dhabi TBH. When has the car failed during the race this season? Melbourne, that was a freak issue which was easily resolved, and then we had the MGU/ERS failure which overheated the brakes that's it. Nico has had that weird steering glitch and the gearbox issue in Silverstone.

The engine/hydraulics/gearbox combo seem pretty strong and I think they'll ensure all stops to make sure QC goes through everything an extra time. And Lewis can simply take a 5 place grid penalty if he wants a fresh box in Abu Dhabi or just race for 2nd place...with the pace of the car it's not a challenge. Nico is the one who needs to take more of the risks and run at optimal capacity. And even then, the car hasn't been terrible this season....its just a few freak issues which have stpped their races at certain points this season.
Ofcourse Merc would prefer a proper race, what I mean is that in the event of Lewis' (or Nicos) car slowing down and retiring for machanical failure, we will see the other car retire to the pits to avoid the same issue. Why would Merc not do this in this instance?

Not saying they wont do everything possible to ensure reliability, but in the event of the above scenario, what would they have to lose by retiring the second car because of an electronic glitch or whatever?
By LRW
No I dont think they would. There would be just as much negative PR from them 'deciding' on which driver wins the championship - which is what they would effectively be doing by forcing a 2nd car to retire.
By Roth
...Nico and Lewis will be briefed before hand, both are employees and are bound by the contracts to obey team directives by not blabbing or complaining.

Seriously, this is Hamilton we're talking about. He's like Chunk in The Goonies.

[youtube]Q5UG7ISJfP0[/youtube]
No I dont think they would. There would be just as much negative PR from them 'deciding' on which driver wins the championship - which is what they would effectively be doing by forcing a 2nd car to retire.

yeah, I hear you, but if you look at the pros and cons..we have seen Ferrari swap places and fix races to much negative PR and derision - why? because they were seen to be knobbling someone - usually Reubens or Massa. So people didnt like been robbed of competition or of a fight

In this case its the reverse, no robbing of a fight because the onkly fight would be effectively over when one retires, also they wouldnt be cheating or causing bad vibes, - simply retiring another car because of unreliability for BOTH, this could never ever be proven, they have a right to retire the second car if they feel it could suffer the same fate as the first and could be dangerous etc.

So when you remove the cause of derision when Ferrari does it, and then add the fact that the overwhelming majority hate the double points rule and accept that it would be travesty for MERC UNRELIABILITY to ruin a sporting triumph. Would be no different to them swapping drivers on track, and a lot more palatable and easiliy done

Apart from negative PR why else wouldnt they?
The championship hasn't been decided, but the the better driver discussion has long ago been silenced.

Bernie, the FiA, Mercedes all find themselves between the proverbial rock and hard place. I'd rather Merc allow the surving car to go on an win, consequently winning the championship.

Nico would be forever booed. Not just on the podium I mean even ordering a cappuccino at a cafe in Monaco. And it'snot like he handled the booing any better than Chunk in the Goonies
...Nico and Lewis will be briefed before hand, both are employees and are bound by the contracts to obey team directives by not blabbing or complaining.

Seriously, this is Hamilton we're talking about. He's like Chunk in The Goonies.

actually its Nico who has done the unintentional babbling - tyre gate, The only blabbing Lewis did was intentional
Last edited by CookinFlat6 on 03 Nov 14, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
If its Mercs unrelliability that fuels the biggest sporting talking point for years to come, when they could have legally avoided it, especially with Nico haven taken his teammate off for 25 points- its clear to me. I almost want the scenario to happen to test whethr I have really lost track of reality :hehe:
Just deleted my post because it said exactly what you've just said Cookie.( and for a minute I thought Roth had it on the end of his post and I'd mis read it :rofl: )
It was Nico who blabbed about tyres last year not Lewis.
This being close to the championship deal has gotten me thinking a bit about Lewis' last championship efforts. It's been a long time since I last found myself in that position so I'm feeling very introspective. In 2007 for a rookie to come in and match (technically beat) a two time WDC is pretty damned impressive. But it brings me to my second point.

Seeing as Massa with the exception of 2008 has never been anywhere near the front again. Then seeing the type of precision surgical equipment Kimi needs in order to perform. The 2007 and 2008 machines Ferrari put on the grid, must have been spectacular.
Just deleted my post because it said exactly what you've just said Cookie.( and for a minute I thought Roth had it on the end of his post and I'd mis read it :rofl: )
It was Nico who blabbed about tyres last year not Lewis.

...so Nico is Urkle?
I'm sorry. Did Dr Roth just call LEWIS the babbler in Mercedes?

Dr Roth, have you watched any interviews with Nico or his long cocaine-induced speeches on podium ceremonies? Please know wtf you're talking about to ensure credibility in your posts.
Roth has the right to tell us his opinions which are never based on evidence or facts, merely a feeling, and when presented with the facts that show an alternative reality is happy to perceive the facts as irrelevant in the face of his 'feeling'

At least he doesnt get his handbag out and accuse us of ruining his confidence and his life by not cheering his version of reality and doesnt threaten us with leaving again if we dont stop laughing :thumbup:

See our F1 related articles too!