FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By sagi58
The Internet is a fascinating part of our lives. Before it, communication was relatively slow,
information was relatively less accessible, social interactions relatively limited.

On the flip side, communication was relatively more personal, information was relatively
more personally researched/authenticated, social interactions were relatively more intimate.

Here's what Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Google , has to say about it:

wrote:">Google chief: My fears for Generation Facebook

"The internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy we've ever had."

Where are we going on this ride?

n.b. I considered creating a poll for this thread; but, I realized that it may not be a clear-cut choice.
As a tool for storing the human intellect and knowledge it is amazing. Homework in school would be so much easier with wikipedia around.
However I do think the art of the written word is being lost. How often does anyone write anything with a pen and paper anymore?
From what I understand, Canadian high schools, Colleges and Universities
will not accept Wikipedia as a source students can cite on bibliographies.

Possibly because some of the information found there can't be authenticated?
I wish I'd had the internet when I was 13.

Because?

Really? :rofl:

I think what you mean is today's internet, because let me tell you, waiting for the entire picture to load took a while... a lot longer than it would have taken you.
In any case, to address the OP, it's not the internet that's the issue. IMO it's the somewhat delayed parallel explosion of digital imaging that's had a far greater impact.
From what I understand, Canadian high schools, Colleges and Universities
will not accept Wikipedia as a source students can cite on bibliographies.

Possibly because some of the information found there can't be authenticated?

That's true in the U.S. too. As far back as junior high I can remember my teachers saying no wikipedia. It's because it's not "peer reviewed". Well, it IS, but not on a scholastic level, i.e. the peers aren't academic professionals. Somebody with down's can contribute to wikipedia.

Anyway, I love the internet. I think it's good, can be ugly some times, but overall good. Even great! I don't think it's ruining intimate communication. I guess it CAN, like if you let your kids browse the internet on their tablets at the dinner table and such. But realistically the internet allows us to have more relationships and communication than ever before. I can facebook message my half-brother in germany any time I want. 20 years ago it'd be a phone call every six months or snail mail. I can keep up with 100 of my friends' lives via facebook rather than, idk...being super close to 5 or 6 people and not knowing jack $#@! about the rest cuz there wouldn't be enough time in the day.

We get to share more of our lives too. We can know people even better just by the things/pictures they post on social media and what they're thinking and how they feel about things that might not have been brought up in a once-in-a-while random conversation

Because?

Sheez... :banghead:

((wasn't thinking of geet's business venture-like sites!!
mind you, when I was 13, I thought you picked up babies in hospitals...))
In any case, to address the OP, it's not the internet that's the issue. IMO it's the somewhat delayed parallel explosion of digital imaging that's had a far greater impact.

That and the ability for some "different-minded" people to become copy-cats to some of the more horrendous crimes people commit.
I'm referring to mass-shootings, especially of children/young people whilst at school/university.

I'm not so naïve to believe that crime and horrendous crimes didn't exist "before"; but, it surely does seem that we are inundated with more and more vicious and violent acts against others.
...We get to share more of our lives too. We can know people even better just by the things/pictures they post on social media and what they're thinking and how they feel about things that might not have been brought up in a once-in-a-while random conversation.

That's the great part of the social media that we have available today;
however, the flip side is that there isn't a lot to find out about people
when you're sitting down face-to-face! Those moments of giggling and
"oohs" or "ahhs" happen in private, instead of with friends when you can
actually read their emotions on their face.
Slavery and its use to build empires, The Spanish inquisition, The Trail of Tears, Armenia in the early part of the 20th century, WWI and WWII, the holocaust, , post WWII India, Cambodia in the 70's Rhowanda ... shall I go on?

Horrific acts against humanity have been going on always! The internet very effectively informs us of what's going on in the world, but it doesn't mean we're any worse off because of it. It's all a means to feel good about what you had as a kid, but just like belief that kids growing up today will be "less" in any way because of it it's not based on anything concrete, just a feel good about myself fallacy.

Because?

I think what you mean is today's internet, because let me tell you, waiting for the entire picture to load took a while... a lot longer than it would have taken you.

Yes but there is also that suspense in waiting for that pic to load/a video to download with that noisy dial up modem which seemed like some sort of magical box....now it's just click, ok gotta take a piss, back and it's done.

I have a feeling I've said too much.

See our F1 related articles too!