FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By Jabberwocky
So sad seeing these old veterans who are still dealing with the mental issues, some heart breaking tales coming out.

Respect.

....Lest we forget

By LRW
What these men experienced and the horrors they went through, at such a young age, is incomprehensible for someone like me.

And to those men, I have the greatest respect, and I owe them a life times debt.

Do not call me hero,
When you see the medals that I wear,
Medals maketh not the hero,
They just prove that I was there.

Do not call me hero,
Now that I am old and grey,
I left a lad, returned a man,
They stole my youth that day.

Do not call me hero,
When we ran the wall of hail,
The blood, the fears, the cries, the tears
We left them where they fell.

Do not call me hero,
Each night I stop and pray,
For all the friends I knew and lost,
I survived my longest day.

Do not call me hero,
In the years that pass,
For all the real true heroes,
Have crosses, lined up on the grass
By CookinFlat6
We need to remember that apart from the last world war, the countries involved have been involved in other wars almost continuosly since. There are many other veterans and casualties that dont get the headlines. The message from that generation which is in danger of dying out with them is the need to endeavour to avoid sending other generations to war - great or small
By sagi58
Ironically, when my Dad left to serve, he didn't
know he'd come back to his mother's grave.

Terry Kelly and respect for those who serve:

[youtube]2kX_3y3u5Uo[/youtube]
By Jabberwocky
We need to remember that apart from the last world war, the countries involved have been involved in other wars almost continuosly since. There are many other veterans and casualties that dont get the headlines. The message from that generation which is in danger of dying out with them is the need to endeavour to avoid sending other generations to war - great or small

I think the thing with D-day and the battle of the somme (spl) is trying to understand the sheer numbers of the people there, the number of people killed and injured.

I agree that there is many killed and wounded in wars before and after but in a thousand years they will be a foot note in the history of the 20th century

Sent using NCC-1701
By Jabberwocky
There was entire villages in Britain where the whole generation of men had been killed.

There was a tv link on today about the Nurses that they got in to support D-Day, they had to volunteer to do 60 hours of hospital nursing before they could do it. they got confronted by all the wounded coming back in bits. Then after 6 days some of them where sent to the beaches to help out there. These are almost the forgotten heroes of D-day, and where all women.
By sagi58
Another reason to respect this man:

wrote:">Yogi Berra, D-Day vet, honoured on 70th anniversary

LITTLE FALLS, N.J. - Seventy years ago, a 19-year-old from St. Louis was on a small attack boat launching rockets at the Germans during the Allied invasion of Normandy.

Lawrence Peter Berra, a minor league baseball player who would later become known worldwide as Yogi, emerged unscathed from that bloody day. Now 89 years old, Berra was honoured Friday by the New Jersey museum that bears his name, as well as by the Navy and several veterans groups...
By Jabberwocky
If anyone has seen the UK TV show called Dad's Army I highly recommend you look at Private Godfrey's war record (it is on wiki) who would of guessed it

Sent using NCC-1701
By spankyham
It's right to remember and respect those who fought and risked everything. Each had their reasons for being there - most honourable. The ones who cause wars, I just can't post what I think we should do with them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By 1Lemon
If anyone has seen the UK TV show called Dad's Army I highly recommend you look at Private Godfrey's war record (it is on wiki) who would of guessed it

Sent using NCC-1701

They don't like it up 'um you know.

See our F1 related articles too!