FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Why are Ferrari unable to dominate

There is nothing wrong at Ferrari, Not making the best car is acceptable, a team doesnt have to be the best to be happy
7%
Its a cyclical thing, its just that the Ferrari winning cycle is a fraction of the losing one
29%
Ferrari should have made the best car considering the regulationary reset twice in the last 5 years - something is definitely wrong
14%
Its a disaster, big changes are required, RBR should not have a better car than Ferrari in 2014
7%
This should not be discussed, its kicking the team, they should never be questioned
29%
I don't know and I don't care, F1 doesn't need any team to be happy
7%
There is simply too much politics at the team to compete with leaner meaner teams
7%
The new lala Ferrari uses a fancy super expensive cooling system and fancy technology that saves fuel everytime the driver breathes out, it's also got clever engine cover however Ferrari have been sandbagging and hiding it's true speed around the nurburgring by using a complicated space based telemetry system that takes measurements every 1/1000 th of a second then randomises them to throw others off the scent

When asked why the lala Ferrari had been clocked at 13 minutes round the ring a Ferrari spokesman admitted it was because they had to refuel halfway through the lap but were busy working out how to make it finish the lap on the fuel in its tank

Maybe they could request the track to be shortened somewhat.
Poor Alonso, he's always having to look at faster cars.

He needs to start looking within himself and qualifying better. :hehe:
I think the best Ferrari technical innovation this season is an engine cover that weighs absolutely nothing , there's 0.2 secs a lap right there

Pure genius
Montezemolo disgusted by Ferrari

“Aerodynamics are for people who do not know how to build engines”

Without question, one of the most famous quotes from Enzo Ferrari; and fans of the Prancing Horse can only imagine what his response would be right now considering it’s irony. The Old Man famously never attended a race after the death of his son, and any appearances at Monza or Imola would be arranged during qualifying. He had lieutenants who would sugar-coat disappointing results and keep the truths from him, safe in the knowledge that he was in Maranello.

This no longer applies. It is rare to see Luca di Montezemolo at any circuit outside Italy but he was in attendance this weekend in Bahrain to meet with FIA President – Jean Todt and F1 ring-master – Bernie Ecclestone.

LdM – the President of Ferrari – runs the team with a far more measured approach than his predecessor – no less passionate just less dramatic. He left the Sakir circuit around ten laps before the chequered flag was waved – disgusted by what he had witnessed and you didn’t have to be a student of body language to understand that Maranello will not be a pleasant place today.

Sakir confirmed that the Italian power unit was trailing not only Mercedes but Renault too and after being humbled by Red Bull’s RB10, no doubt has been left that the F14-T is also in need of urgent development.

“Seeing Ferrari so slow on the straights gives me great pain. It would be necessary to have an additional gear. This week we have several different things to try and the engineers at home have to make a big leap in quality. I dislike seeing Ferrari like this.

I’m going away – there isn’t much to see. We are too slow on the straights because there is a lack of power. I wasn’t expecting much from this race but certainly more than this. We’ll see…”

Unsurprisingly, Ferrari’s technical team had their responses ready.

Stefano Domenicali: “This race was the culmination of a difficult weekend exactly how we imagined before arriving in Bahrain, a circuit particularly difficult for our cars. Now before us is an important test, where I expect to see a first leap.”

Pat Fry: “In Maranello, we are working on solutions that will guarantee a better power delivery and better drivability. Also we are working to improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the car. The data from this race will be used as a reference for the test which will be held here in Sakir over the next few days.”

Ferrari’s history stretches back over seven decades and within that time span there has been periods of poor performances and needing to push the cavalry forwards but 2014 marks the sixth season in a row that the design group has fallen behind the other teams.

Aldo Costa was ‘released’ amid suggestions his designs were too conservative because the pressure of the Ferrari name made it impossible for an Italian to push design boundaries.. Yet his design is currently dominating Formula One in a manner that hasn’t been witnessed since 1988.

Fernando Alonso, unquestionably one of the greatest drivers of this generation has almost carried the team to two titles – 2010 and 2012. If his luck had been a little kinder, he could have been a four-time champion but Ferrari have consistently produced poor designs.

Rumours of wind-tunnel calibration issues began in 2010 and countless updates failed to produce expected on-track results but the despair of losing the title in Abu Dhabi brushed the issue under the carpet. With Red Bull dominating in 2011 and Ferrari only winning – at Silverstone that year – when exhaust blowing was outlawed for one race – they carried on with their 2012 design and re-wrote the rule book on insanity.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Einstein.

With the same tools, wind tunnel calibration issues and the same group of designers the 2012 car proved a continuation of the downward cycle. Only truly inspired driving kept the Spaniard anywhere near a title challenge.

So last year, Ferrari closed down their wind-tunnel and had it re-calibrated. By all accounts this has been proven to be working and under the stewardship of highly rated James Allison Ferrari seem to have turned a corner… and yet the pace-setting teams have introduced up-dates at every race this year. It appears endemic within Ferrari to have the reactions of a sloth.

Has Il Padrino moved his eye off the ball in recent years with the incredible success of the Ferrari brand and his continued interest in following a political career. It’s entirely possible that his rebuke of Alonso last season was as a reaction because he was out of touch with the team.

Quite possibly then, LdM walking away disgusted will bring focus to Ferrari once more but there is no doubt – the pressure in Italy has just been ramped up…
“Aerodynamics are for people who do not know how to build engines”

Then build one that is the best. Oh wait, you can't do that either.
Monza GP is 10 races away so Ferrari have some time to work with.

I'm a bit lost as to why Bahrain is widely considered to be the most power demanding circuit, won't circuits with long straights like Shanghai, Spa, Monza and even Abu Dhabi be in the ballpark?

I'm a bit lost as to why Bahrain is widely considered to be the most power demanding circuit, won't circuits with long straights like Shanghai, Spa, Monza and even Abu Dhabi be in the ballpark?

There's four long straights in Bahrain, that's four sections where you're on full throttle, that plus the heat (which obviously is lessened in the new night race format) means they get less power so more fuel is needed.

Perhaps power is less necessary at Monza and Shanghai because the straights are very long and you're already traveling at speed when you enter most of them; whereas in Barharian it's more acceleration as the corners are slow then flat out down a straight then another slow corner.
Yes, Monza is an old school circuit where you get up to speed and stay at speed, whereas Bharain requires more energy getting up to speed over and over
Yes, Monza is an old school circuit where you get up to speed and stay at speed, whereas Bharain requires more energy getting up to speed over and over

Although with the lack of sustained breaking at Monza, this might cause issues with the MGU-K recharging.

See our F1 related articles too!