FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Why are Ferrari unable to dominate

There is nothing wrong at Ferrari, Not making the best car is acceptable, a team doesnt have to be the best to be happy
7%
Its a cyclical thing, its just that the Ferrari winning cycle is a fraction of the losing one
29%
Ferrari should have made the best car considering the regulationary reset twice in the last 5 years - something is definitely wrong
14%
Its a disaster, big changes are required, RBR should not have a better car than Ferrari in 2014
7%
This should not be discussed, its kicking the team, they should never be questioned
29%
I don't know and I don't care, F1 doesn't need any team to be happy
7%
There is simply too much politics at the team to compete with leaner meaner teams
7%
The thing is we don't actually know if the Ferrari engine is using less fuel. What we get on the screen is a percentage of fuel from what they had in the tank at the start, which may be less than others.
I wouldn't pick option 1 because I think all the teams are desperate to win. I guess it has been a long time since Ferrari won, but they've been thereabouts...close. Not just the engine then. I think they miss the structure that was there with brawn, that calm authoritativeness that you just trust. I think they miss it. I hope Merc learn from the lessons he set down . I still wish he was with Merc.

Ok you are probably nudging into option 3, with the something wrong = missing a structure for success.

I tried to make sure every single option was covered allowing a real discussion about why the most famous team, with most money and most powerful brand has been unable to win for so long despite 2 opposite types of team coming along and doing just that.

Would be good if we had opinions or votes from everyone so that the experiment is a useful one.

Either theres nothing wrong at Ferrari and they are just unlucky/close but not there/wind tunnnel/engine/limited testing blah blah blah = cyclical, its not their turn yet and they have to change nothing and continue as they are

or

Something is stopping them
I know this is a Ferrari thread, but I just want to say I think RD made a great move with Boullier. He's a bit of an unknown in the sport but he seems to have the boss blood in his veins - knowing where to put the focus, managing resources and the people. Lotus did an amazing job last year with a cut throat budget.

McLaren have a fantastic management now, Boullier running the show while reporting to RD and their engineering team isn't exactly 2nd rate. They're coming back up quickly, so maybe Ferrari could take a page out of this story.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Lew, I could be mistakened but were you not one of those calling for a halt in the persecution of the previous lame duck TP, defending the previous management structure?

Apologies if I am wrong
Lew, I could be mistakened but were you not one of those calling for a halt in the persecution of the previous lame duck TP, defending the previous management structure?

Apologies if I am wrong

Whitmarsh? No, I'm glad he's gone. Ecstatic that Ron Dennis is back and that Boullier is on board. :)

I can't remember what I said back in the days when people used to blast Martin and McLaren. Very little actually, if you have a look. I've always been a fan of McLaren, so reading scores of posts trashing them was somewhat despressing, but hey, they had a terrible year, so what do you expect.
Yeah, alls well that ends well, although it might be at least 2015 before Mclaren have shaken off the damage done in the last few years.

I like to think the voice of the dissenters helped Ron at least a little in regaining control
This is so funny, advanced apoloogies to the Tifosi, but I hope they can take a little joke, this is sports afterall

Ferrari to bring forward 2015 excuses

Ferrari are to bring forward their reasons for inevitable failure in 2015 to the end of this season.

The Scuderia are ramping up their excuse technology in the face of criticism 2014’s cop-outs are way behind schedule, even though it’s only the first race of the year.

Paddock pundit Sean O’Seanessy said, “the Scuderia are considerably inferior to their rivals in mitigation and cover-story bullpoo.”

“Often they’ll be halfway through a season before they start going on about tyres, wind tunnels, cheating rivals and other nonsensical conspiracies.”

“Beginning the whining process in Melbourne is a step forward but they’ve got to up their game if they’re to avoid people being disappointed for at least part of each season, going forwards.”

The Italian team entered the 2014 season full of the sort of optimism they’ve displayed in the previous 3 years meaning there was little surprise when it turned out to be pure, unadulterated fantasy.

The famous marque now have to frantically regroup for Malaysia to figure out whether the current omnishambles can be pinned on someone in the engine department, the man who orders the coffee, Bernie Ecclestone or a Voodoo spell cast by a disgruntled viewer in Haiti.

“Red Bull were already blaming Renault in 2013. Have Ferrari learnt nothing?” O’Seanessy continued.

“Oh yeah: I forgot they re-hired Kimi, didn’t they? I guess not then.”
Ouch and Lol
Ok here we go again, Ferrari do not seem able to learn from the past

Di Montezemolo is concerned that viewing figures in Europe fell for last weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix, reflecting Ferrari’s online poll that found 78 per cent of the 35,000-plus respondents did not like the new formula.

The Ferrari president told Ecclestone that the new regulations, including the 100kg per hour fuel flow regulation that saw Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo disqualified in Australia, are too complex and argued against a cost cap.

So Ferrari want the rules changed mid season to help save the sport? So if the scrap the fuel flow regulation, who will benefit immediately? Why Red Bull ofcourse, the Renault engine works best without the flow restrictions. So just like last season, when Ferrari jumped up to help RBR change the tyres, it hurt them and benefited RBR.

And to illustrate the problem at Ferrari, the big boss is too busy trying to get more advantages off track to allow any ontrack success, yet is not very good at it and ends up shooting his team in the foot and being manipulated by RBR to further their own aims

truly unbelievabkle
Good point, the question is why they mostly end up doing even worse with off track politics than on track? On track they at least have Alonso to make up some deficit, but off track, despite extra money, a veto on rules, their ex TP as head of FIA, their 'special status' they end up a laughing stock

examples, Monte turns around and challenges Bernie over more money from the pot, leading to Bernie letting the cat out of the bag about their 'special assistance', thats like taking a secret bribe from someone then going to the media to complain your bribe is not enough :rofl:

Then last year Ferrari back RBR in formally reporting Mercs tyre test, resulting in RBR geting the tyres they wanted and allowing them to beat Merc and Ferrari by even more

Then you got Ferrari joining up with RBR to dismantle Fota, allowing RBR to spend their way to straight titles ahead of Ferrari

Maybe I missed out the poll option for basket case
Domenicali, though, says Ferrari are aware of where they have gone wrong and what needs doing.

"We knew from the very beginning that with these rules changes the challenge will be massive," he said in an interview with the official F1 website.

"When we went about designing the 2014 car we knew it would not only be a matter of the engine - where we believe we are quite strong - but also a matter of considering the whole power unit.

"We know that other engine manufacturers have advanced knowledge because they use that technology in their road cars, so we knew it was not going to be easy.

"But we know the areas where we need to improve and falling into disappointment doesn't help. I know that we have improved our organisation in some areas where we have been weak..."

Pressed as to what areas at Ferrari need attention, he revealed that "aerodynamics" are the team's primary weak point.

As for where the Scuderia need to improve the current F14T, he said: "Basically everywhere.

So sounds like when Ferrari demanded a new engine formula, 'because racing should be about engines and not aero' they didnt mean modern engines, just the ICE part and so they remain uncompetitive because F1 should be about old fashioned engines not modern ones and not aero.

And although the importance of aero is a fraction of what it was last year they still cant beat the others at it

Do they actually know what formula they want the rules changed to that allows them to be competitive? Maybe ban ALL aero and have V12s with unlimited fuel, unlimited testing and unlimited spending (but not by monster manufacturers)
Maybe a new poll option along the lines of

"too busy brainstorming excuses instead of pulling their socks up and actually WORKING" is in order.
The Porsche 918 Spyder gets about 70 miles to the gallon in highway cruising and can do the Nurburgring in under 7 minutes. :D
The new lala Ferrari uses a fancy super expensive cooling system and fancy technology that saves fuel everytime the driver breathes out, it's also got clever engine cover however Ferrari have been sandbagging and hiding it's true speed around the nurburgring by using a complicated space based telemetry system that takes measurements every 1/1000 th of a second then randomises them to throw others off the scent

When asked why the lala Ferrari had been clocked at 13 minutes round the ring a Ferrari spokesman admitted it was because they had to refuel halfway through the lap but were busy working out how to make it finish the lap on the fuel in its tank

See our F1 related articles too!