FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Why are Ferrari unable to dominate

There is nothing wrong at Ferrari, Not making the best car is acceptable, a team doesnt have to be the best to be happy
7%
Its a cyclical thing, its just that the Ferrari winning cycle is a fraction of the losing one
29%
Ferrari should have made the best car considering the regulationary reset twice in the last 5 years - something is definitely wrong
14%
Its a disaster, big changes are required, RBR should not have a better car than Ferrari in 2014
7%
This should not be discussed, its kicking the team, they should never be questioned
29%
I don't know and I don't care, F1 doesn't need any team to be happy
7%
There is simply too much politics at the team to compete with leaner meaner teams
7%
Italian design/ engineering is known for its heart stopping beauty. It arouses emotion. It looks gorgeous.

German design/ engineering is known for its robustness and relentless attention to detail.

If you want a car to turn heads and give you orgasms when you drive it, you'd buy a Ferrari. If you want all your needs taken care of and a car that will go on for ever, you'd buy a Merc.
Me, I'd go for the orgasm every time :P

But in this time of change, it's the German planning and attention to detail that has borne fruit. Ok it's not just about the engine, but that's the biggest thing that's making the difference.
I apologise for the stereotyping, but I do think elements of truth are in there.

Interesting idea, even if a little conceptualised. However that doesnt explain how RBR are ahead with a FRENCH engine. I never hear of French attention to detail or heart stopping beauty, if anything the French designers tend to give up fairly easily and throw the white towel in

I think you're both missing the fact that most of the key designers for all three teams are British :wink:

Ok , then there's the Brits, the innovators. But they will surely be influenced somewhat but the work environment, ethos etc that surrounds them.
I dont think nationalities have much to do with F1 nowadays. Apart from Montezemolos claim at one point to be after a more Italian Ferrari which was shortlived anyway, German Merc, Austrian Red Bull and Italian Ferrari all have equal opportunity to hire any nationality so thats no excuse to why Ferrari are unable to dominate as their resources and heritage suggest they should

If Red Bull can come along and dominate in 6 years from nothing I still dont get why Ferrari cannot. Especially as they got the formula right briefly in the Todt/MS/Brawn era. And since then despite spending tons and poaching the best staff and drivers they are unable to buuild a better car than Red Bull despite making their own engines in an engine formula.

And why sack the Italian who is actually a real star engineer, yet keep a lame driver ( Massa) and a lame TP (Domenically)? I think we are missing a poll option which I will add

Just realised, adding an option has reset the previous votes, so please vote again :irked:
By LRW
....Just realised, adding an option has reset the previous votes, so please vote again :irked:

Thats the sort or trick RedBull would do - 'accidentally' reset the vote when it isn't going there way.... :wink:
Regarding the last option on the voting....but look at the politics that went on at McLaren during the Whitmarsh/button years! ......... But I guess McLaren paid dearly for that.
....Just realised, adding an option has reset the previous votes, so please vote again :irked:

Thats the sort or trick RedBull would do - 'accidentally' reset the vote when it isn't going there way.... :wink:

Damn, you saw that :irked:
Regarding the last option on the voting....but look at the politics that went on at McLaren during the Whitmarsh/button years! ......... But I guess McLaren paid dearly for that.

Thats actually a really good example. McLaren had the best driver, best engineers and best car and won diddly squat - because of the politics cripling the team. Where a lame driver is promoted over the talented driver because he is said to have disturbingly good looks, and where talented engineers were forced to develop around a driver with little scope and handicap a driver with unlimited scope

Maybe what Ferrari need is to find a Ron who can come in and ruthlessly cull the useless
I know this is a Ferrari thread, but I just want to say I think RD made a great move with Boullier. He's a bit of an unknown in the sport but he seems to have the boss blood in his veins - knowing where to put the focus, managing resources and the people. Lotus did an amazing job last year with a cut throat budget.

McLaren have a fantastic management now, Boullier running the show while reporting to RD and their engineering team isn't exactly 2nd rate. They're coming back up quickly, so maybe Ferrari could take a page out of this story.
Yes I agree with that, Eric is a realistic and focussesd resource manager and commands respect.
Also anyone noticed Sam Michael is not allowed to talk crap to the press anymore? Its all Eric or Neal now, even Ron seems to have been reigned in a little since the 'we will gain 0.5 secs by nxt race'

Eric said, we cant catch Merc this year, maybe next year - makes sense, they need to start focusing on Honda 2015 instead of 'romantically' managing resources. A few podiums, maybe a sneaky win for Mag, Eric knows how to plan and win on limited resources, he will definetely be thinking of Honda next year vs limited info from Merc this year etc

This is exactly what Ferrari need, someone who can take control and lead from trackside and stand up to the 'romantic' wishes of the board. How can Domenically still be at Ferrari when they could have snapped up Boiler?

Bit of a shame that Ferrari supporters have no opinions on this when they have so many on everything else

Bit of a shame that Ferrari supporters have no opinions on this when they have so many on everything else

Understandable when their mandate sticks to the 5th poll option.
Maybe I should have added another option - Are Ferrari just sandbagging these last few years waiting to shock and awe us?
That could be an option that allows them to discuss F1 objectively yet keep in line with the Tifosi doctrines
:hehe::hehe:

Or "Has the last 6 years been a high profile charity for other manufacturers to have a chance"
Well you know, it's people prerogative to decide whether they participate in threads or not. I've not actually voted in the poll myself because I think it's too early to write Ferrari off. Let's see where they are when we get a couple of races in to the Europe rounds. I still think it's mainly their engine that is letting them down. So I'd need an option in the poll saying

Ferrari have not developed a good enough engine and it's hampering their progress.........or something like that.
But the engine excuse has not been the case for years of under achievement, so if you think its just the engines this time you should be in option 1 or 2

not that you have to nail your colours ofcourse
I wanted to hear more about all that technical stuff people were discussing during the testing, you know how Ferrari had this ingenious cooling system which would help them gain a massive advantage in terms of fuel consumption thus taking on much lesser fuel than anybody else and blow the field away. Maybe they're still refining that, who knows. Bahrain could surprise us all.
I wouldn't pick option 1 because I think all the teams are desperate to win. I guess it has been a long time since Ferrari won, but they've been thereabouts...close. Not just the engine then. I think they miss the structure that was there with brawn, that calm authoritativeness that you just trust. I think they miss it. I hope Merc learn from the lessons he set down . I still wish he was with Merc.

See our F1 related articles too!