FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By sagi58
Silly question....but how does his name suddenly become Johnny Montana?

The same way Ricciardo becomes Riccardo... announcers don't always do their homework?? :whip:
By sagi58
It's a good thing I'm not an announcer, as I have a name for him that isn't going to be rated for family viewing!! :twisted:
By sagi58
Nope!! But, it does have a not-so-nice word that refers to his mother, whom I've never met!! :blush:
By Roth
Silly question....but how does his name suddenly become Johnny Montana?

The same way Ricciardo becomes Riccardo... announcers don't always do their homework?? :whip:

I heard it was technically Rich-e-ardo, but people said Ricky-ardo, because of how it looks. Now it's just Rick-ardo for some reason. Stupidity I'm guessing.

I don't know why people struggle with names. My daughter's relatively simple name gets mangled all the time, even when people have only heard it, not read it.
By sagi58
I heard it was technically Rich-e-ardo, but people said Ricky-ardo, because of how it looks. Now it's just Rick-ardo for some reason. Stupidity I'm guessing.

I don't know why people struggle with names. My daughter's relatively simple name gets mangled all the time, even when people have only heard it, not read it.

The emphasis (usually the second last syllable in the Italian language) is on the "chiar" ... So, technically, it's "Ree - CHIAR - doh"!
As for why people mispronounce it, basically, it's a lack of respect for others, as far as I'm concerned.
Especially when someone has been made aware of the correct pronunciation! :rolleyes:

See our F1 related articles too!