FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
ESPNF1:
Renault has become the first engine manufacturer to reveal its new power unit for the 2014 Formula One regulations.

The engine was unveiled at the Paris Air Show at Le Bourget, and is named the Renault Energy F1. The 1.6 litre V6-turbo is set to be run by Red Bull, Lotus, Toro Rosso and Caterham and emphasising the increased relevance Renault says it has aligned the new unit with the rest of its engines for its road cars.

"From next year, one of greatest challenges in F1 will be to maximize energy efficiency and fuel economy while maintaining the power output and performance expected of F1 cars," Renault president Jean-Michel Jalinier said. "Renault has pioneered this technology in its road car engine range with the Energy series. Naming the Power Unit Energy F1 creates an unbroken range, from the Clio through to our competition department."

The maximum power of the new unit 'will exceed the output of current V8 F1 engines' and deputy managing director (technical) Rob White says the added output from the energy recovery system means it is no longer just an engine.

"The next generation of F1 cars will be powered by a turbocharged 1.6-litre V6 internal combustion engine of around 600 bhp plus around 160 bhp of electrical propulsion from the energy recovery system, meaning the term 'engine' will no longer fully describe a car's source of propulsive power. It is more relevant to refer to the complete system as a 'Power Unit."

White also moved to allay concerns about the noise produced by the new units.

''The car will still accelerate and decelerate rapidly, with instant gearshifts," he said. "The engines remain high revving, ultra high output competition engines. Fundamentally the engine noise will still be loud. It will wake you from sleep, and circuit neighbours will still complain. The engine noise is just a turbocharged noise rather than a normally aspirated noise: you can just hear the turbo when the driver lifts off the throttle and the engine speed drops.

''I am sure some people will be nostalgic for the sound of engines from previous eras, including the preceding V8, but the sound of the new generation Power Units is just different. It's like asking whether you like Motorhead or AC/DC. Ultimately it is a matter of personal taste. Both in concert are still pretty loud.''

Motörhead vs. AC/DC :hehe:
ESPNF1:
Renault has become the first engine manufacturer to reveal its new power unit for the 2014 Formula One regulations.

Merc reveled a pic of their engine a few months back, ESPN why do you lie to us? :hehe:
ESPNF1:

Merc reveled a pic of their engine a few months back, ESPN why do you lie to us? :hehe:

I dont think the Mercedes one included the KERS side of things

Sent from Turing Colossus using Tapatalk 2
Regarding the noise, I love the sound of turbos when you lift off, I quite often on warm days stick my head slightly out the window and rev unnecessarily just so I can hear the turbo.
I thought this units noise sounds better than the Merc one.

I have a question. I do not know how F1 engine suppliers work out their priorities but am assuming that since Renault have achieved by far the best results with Red Bull, they will concentrate a bit more on optimising their new 2014 Turbo unit with the forthcoming RB10 frame.

Now assuming that Vettel wins the 2013 WDC after the Indian GP and by then the WCC is also either already or practically won, Newey will be released to put all his efforts to optimising the RB10. Since by then Renault also would have achieved their objective for 2013, will their best engine techs also be free to work as closely with Newey as possible to maximise the RB10's performance? Or does it not work that way?
What's the point once Renault has locked it up for other teams to keep putting resources into their 2013 efforts? Unless you're in a championship race most teams have already put their focus on next year.
What's the point once Renault has locked it up for other teams to keep putting resources into their 2013 efforts? Unless you're in a championship race most teams have already put their focus on next year.

For a start, Renault have not locked-out either championship as yet. But more importantly, Ferrari and Mercedes have each other to think about. Given their long histories and mutual rivalry, that runner-up spot in 2013 would be important to both teams/engines. Unlike with Red Bull where people tend to point to the car design rather than its Renault engine, the self-supplied Ferrari and Mercedes cannot hide behind the design cloak.

It is not all about the WCC positions either. Even in the WDC race, catching Alonso is not out of question for Hamilton. The latter is probably going to be a bit stronger on the remaining tracks and I am sure he'll have a go.
Hey ZW, is it weird that whenever I read your posts I imagine this evil looking, knowledgeable, magical wolf is talking to me, or should I see my psychiatrist about that? :wavey:
Hey ZW, is it weird that whenever I read your posts I imagine this evil looking, knowledgeable, magical wolf is talking to me, or should I see my psychiatrist about that? :wavey:

And how does that make you feel?

Since you guys asked that question, I'll answer it. I am quite serious.
First Jab, it makes me feel really great.
BA, you don't have to see your psychiatrist about it. It may be me who needs one.

When I was a really small kid, a schoolteacher told us students Rudyard Kipling's Mowgli story - NOT as depicted in the heavily Disnified film but in a more 'humane' manner. Since then I have been fascinated with the wolf and it appeals to me more than any animal. I love the idea of being like a wolf but don't ask me why because I don't know. And not any wolf, mind - like BA says a sinister (rather than 'evil') looking almost surreal animal. A lot of my usernames in other forums are or have been wolf-related eg Steppenwolf, Loup Garou etc. One of the reasons that I am a fan of Lee Falk's Phantom comics is that he has a pet wolf named Devil.
Remi Taffin says Renault has the capacity to completely revamp its engine for 2015 despite rules regarding what manufacturers can and cannot change for next year.

Engine development from season-to-season will be scaled down from 2015 onwards, with manufacturers allocated 32 tokens to decide what parts of the engine they wish to adjust and change for next year, a tally which will decrease until 2018. If all the tokens were spent it would allow manufacturers to change 48% of 45 different engine components for the new campaign.

When it was put to him that Renault could have an engine different "in every respect" in 2015, the manufacturer's head of track operations Taffin replied: "Yes, it could be. I'm not saying it's going to be, but it could be. The thing is you can go up to 50% of the tokens you are allotted, your amount of tokens is 60 [per season] so you can go up to 30. With 30 you can nearly change an [entire] engine if you look at all the components."

Taffin says Renault's philosophy with regards to the use of the tokens next year will be to hold nothing back.

"You always have people who say maybe we should wait for this, or this, or this. It's like when you go to a race and you start thinking about 'shall we go full power of full beans for this race'. Now is a good example, because the next race is Spa so maybe I should save [in Hungary]. Statistics show you have to take it go full beans when you are on track, it's the same for developing - you take everything you can take because it will pay."

Despite the desire not to start 2015 on the back foot as it did this season, Taffin says plenty can be gained by working across multiple seasons instead of focusing solely on one.

"We are still focused on this year but 2015 has been going on for a while now. In complete fairness it's not like you work just on this or on this. Both are linked, anything you find on '15 you can bring in for '14 and visa versa [sic!]. It's more a question of having deadlines for next year and decisions to make but we still keep running both programs at the same time."

"When you have something on your car you try to keep on progressing and developing it, while there are people still working in parallel who try to see if there is a solution being worked on somewhere else, or a completely different solution. If it's proved to be better at one point you stick on it. That is the situation we are in and what we will be in for three, four or five years until everything is frozen. That's why '14 and '15 are linked but also '16, because work on '16 has already started as well."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/stor ... GHt1lAL.99
The more I hear these guys talk the more it feels like they're really under the eight ball with the piss poor first attempt at an engine. Ferrari have an excuse, they were dragged into it only half willingly, but Renault was the originator of the idea of the switch in the first place. Historically they've been able to develop engines long term, let's see what happens.

See our F1 related articles too!