FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By racechick
I've been pinning my hopes on Merc coming out with a good engine . I think the engine manufacturer teams should have a head start next year. But should we be so quick to write off Renault? Noises coming out are positive ( I think) and can they not carry over the KERS/engine mapping/ traction assist trick to next year? I would like to be wrong about this!!
By CookinFlat6
Renault will build a good engine as will Ferrari, good thing is that all 3 will be starting afresh and so will have equal chances. The V8's were development frozen some time ago, but Renault were allowed to catch up as they were low on power. And IMHO in the 'catching up' they did gained an advantage. They were low on power but were also the most fuel efficient and after catching up were closer on power, still fuel efficient and with engine mapping etc more advanced that the other frozen makers.
IIRC Renaults argument for some of the engine mapping stuff they wanted was that their engines couldnt increase power without them, and some of the maps were rejected as being 'not needed'

Merc appear to be the manufacturer that has everything in house, engines components ERS etc. I would not bet against Merc for the next few years
By racechick
:cloud9: the golden days approach!
By 1Lemon
Either that, or their catastrophically awful, no one knows what the others are doing so really it's a wait and see.

We may even end up with a situation where Ferrari engines are blitzing the field!
By Jabberwocky
Maybe Ferrari have a design so far out of the box they can not release whst it looks like or sounds like!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Maybe Ferrari have a design so far out of the box they can not release whst it looks like or sounds like!

Or they dont want to release it incase it gives something away, like information a rival might be able to get.

Ferrari may be playing the secret game ;)
How different do we think they're going to sound from one another? They're all following the same regs/specs.
By spankyham
I am with you on many of your reasonings ferrariman

the only things that concern me is Ferraris absolute silence on the engine front. In true Ferrari style if they were on track and confident of their engine we would have heard about it. Honda know what their engine sounds like and they are not playing till 2015. Ferrari have made the clearest statement (to me) that they expect to be on the back foot by signing 2 aces

I expect Ferrari to buy their way to join Merc at the front, but only after a period of strife

I agree with this. Ferrari have little to no experience in this engine market position. Their expertise is in 8's and 12's.

Like DRS I don't like either the engine freeze or the prescriptive engines. I have an even greater dislike of the fact that the engine has been brought into the comfort zone of the mass-production centric car companies. Anything that moves F1 further towards mediocrity and away from the leading edge is, IMO, not F1. To be really clear, with a few mates I could build an engine that gets very close to a lot of the new F1 donk specs in a local garage.
Let's just be up front about it, any outcome that isn't a quintuple double for Red Bull will be a welcomed result. :blush:
By Denthúl
How different do we think they're going to sound from one another? They're all following the same regs/specs.

Well, the Honda and Mercedes dyno tests sound somewhat different to me. But they are dyno tests; I have no idea how much will change once they're packaged-up and running out on track.

Let's just be up front about it, any outcome that isn't a quintuple double for Red Bull will be a welcomed result. :blush:

Erm. I'd say Pastor Maldonado becoming WDC would be less favourable than a fifth RBR win.
By LRW

Well, the Honda and Mercedes dyno tests sound somewhat different to me. But they are dyno tests; I have no idea how much will change once they're packaged-up and running out on track.

Erm. I'd say Pastor Maldonado becoming WDC would be less favourable than a fifth RBR win.

Erm. I think I'd have to disagree. I think it'd be an amazing season if that happened.

(providing it was in a Williams)

don't tempt me sir.
By 1Lemon

don't tempt me sir.

Pastor won't even be in F1 next year, I don't think.

But a Williams would be very very very very nice.
By Jabberwocky

So are Redbull and Caterham. So they are the same right?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

don't tempt me sir.

Pastor won't even be in F1 next year, I don't think.

Really? Doesnt he (as well as not being that slow) not bring a lot of money from Venezuela?

See our F1 related articles too!