FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Who'd have thunk it, but silly season rumors aren't over yet!
ESPNF1 NASCAR team co-owner Gene Haas has confirmed he is hoping to put together a Formula One team for 2015 or 2016 after formally submitting his interest to the FIA.

The FIA announced in December that it was wanted potential new teams to express an interest in joining the grid by January 3. The FIA also said it "anticipates that full applications will need to be submitted by 10 February 2014, leading to a decision on 28 February 2014," before adding "In the event that no applicant is considered suitable by both the FIA and the commercial rights holder, no additional team will be selected."

It is understood that there are three teams which have expressed an interest, with reports suggesting Stefan GP and a group including Colin Kolles are two of those to have done so. The most high-profile applicant, however, is the Gene Haas fronted Haas Racing Development.

Haas currently co-owns Stewart-Haas Racing in NASCAR, while Haas Automation is also a large CNC machine tool builder. Stewart-Haas Racing won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship in 2011 and Haas has now confirmed his interest in joining the Formula One grid via a statement released on Thursday.

"We have responded to the FIA's 'call for expression of interest' regarding a Formula One entry on behalf of Haas Racing Development," the statement read. "We respect the FIA's evaluation process and will share more details in the coming weeks."

Haas also owns the Windshear wind tunnel facility in Concord, North Carolina, which has been used by Formula One teams in the past.
By Jabberwocky
At least they have some sort of racing heritage. It is a complete change of direction for them though.

Sent using NCC-1701
They wouldn't be able to go at it alone, they'd need some big time enthusiast/investor/sponsor. Nice clean slate though. Wonder if Ross saw this news?
By spankyham
..... as we don't have a 2015 silly season thread yet ....

Bernie (probably in an effort to distract us from his impending date with some lustful co-prisoners) has announced he is talking with 2 possible new teams for F1. Haas has come out and indicated they are one team interested in joining F1.

>>Here<< is one article covering it and >>here<< is another one (through a bot-translation as the original is in Italian). The Italian article speculates about who the other possible new team leaders may be.
By Jabberwocky
Caterham to announce new drivers today.

Both old drivers have confirmed exit.

Sent using NCC-1701
Caterham to announce new drivers today.

Both old drivers have confirmed exit.

Van der Garde is taking a third driver role with Sauber.
By 1Lemon
I'm please for Kobioshi. Or however you spell it.

You spell it "pleased" :wink:
By Jabberwocky
Lol to start off I thought you where being a spelling Nazi then I saw what you where aiming at lol

Sent using NCC-1701
By 1Lemon
Lol to start off I thought you where being a spelling Nazi then I saw what you where aiming at lol

:hehe:
By 1Lemon
Almost perfect for the prophet.

Actual grid:
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo

Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg

Lotus: Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado

McLaren: Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen

Sauber: Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez

Toro Rosso: Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniil Kvyat

Williams: Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas

Marussia: Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton

Caterham: Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson

Just so that I confirm I got this right....

Mercedes Engine
Mercedes, McLaren, Williams, Force India

Ferrari Engine
Ferrari, Marussia, Sauber

Renault Engine
Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Lotus, Caterham

Which begs the question, when Honda comes in to supply McLaren next year, who joins them? It would be an astronomical cost to supply just one team and not have customer money from engine sales. Additionally, the information flow has to be scarce. So who besides McLaren is likely to make the Honda jump?

See our F1 related articles too!