FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By CookinFlat6
I would be bummed to see diresta left out.

No cash and mediocre talent. In today's F1, this won't last long. Maybe in the 90s and early 2000s he would've got another contract by now.

Since 2010 it's either:

Cash, mediocre talent
Cash, great talent
No cash, great talent (aka Hulkenburg)

...can stay in F1. It's an obvious matrix now, the state of F1.

Technically speaking Magnussen is in the cash, great talent category as he brings money from Jack and Jones - a Danish retailing giant. So we have come to the crunch where Hulk is no cash, great talent and so thats the defined border in todays F1.
Any driver without cash has to be instantly way better than Hulk
By Jabberwocky
Di resta has frequently out qualified and out raced sutil all year. So why they'd keep him and not Paul seems bewildering to me.

I remember reading somewhere he was a bit of a diva behind closed doors

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
By operaman
I think it has become entirely too easy to buy your way into F1. I have no issue with guys like Chilton, who have at least put some time in GP2, but there are others whose readiness should be questioned. Screw success in the myriad of lower formulae, I'd raise the bar for minimum requirements to at least 3 years in GP2, or 2 years + a win, or a championship. That would serve to better prepare the drivers and make GP2 a viable series again. :banghead:

As for the mess this year ... I hope the Hulk and Sutil secure drives for 2014. The rest of the "hopefuls", I don't really care too much. Except for Maldo .... I don't want to see his face again. :thumbdown:
By Big Azza
I think it has become entirely too easy to buy your way into F1. I have no issue with guys like Chilton, who have at least put some time in GP2, but there are others whose readiness should be questioned. Screw success in the myriad of lower formulae, I'd raise the bar for minimum requirements to at least 3 years in GP2, or 2 years + a win, or a championship. That would serve to better prepare the drivers and make GP2 a viable series again. :banghead:

As for the mess this year ... I hope the Hulk and Sutil secure drives for 2014. The rest of the "hopefuls", I don't really care too much. Except for Maldo .... I don't want to see his face again. :thumbdown:

At this point I haven't heard of any new "Pay Drivers" lining up for next year.... The only official pay drivers on the grid at the moment are Pastor Maldonado and Sergio Perez. The former has won a race and the latter has had a couple of podium finishes, so neither of them are as bad as Sakon Yammamoto...
By operaman

At this point I haven't heard of any new "Pay Drivers" lining up for next year.... The only official pay drivers on the grid at the moment are Pastor Maldonado and Sergio Perez. The former has won a race and the latter has had a couple of podium finishes, so neither of them are as bad as Sakon Yammamoto...

I probably didn't make myself clear BA, my concern is more the lack of experience in top end competition than where the money is coming from. It doesn't matter to me if you are supported by Daddy's wealth, government funds or the young driver program of any team, there should be a minimum standard to enter F1 and that should include time and a level of success in GP2.
By Denthúl
I probably didn't make myself clear BA, my concern is more the lack of experience in top end competition than where the money is coming from. It doesn't matter to me if you are supported by Daddy's wealth, government funds or the young driver program of any team, there should be a minimum standard to enter F1 and that should include time and a level of success in GP2.

Why limit it to GP2?
By geetface9
maybe he is just using gp2 as a reference since it's supposed to be the main feeder series. other series could be included, like di resta's experience with DTM. Seems that was plenty for him
By operaman

Why limit it to GP2?

It wouldn't necessarily have to be GP2, although that would be in line with the intent for that series. My idea is to get as many of the top prospects as possible into the same series, to increase the level of competition and educate them in what it takes to be an F1 driver. If you make one series (I'll call it GP2 for the sake of discussion) as the final required step before F1, you have a better chance of maintaining a high level of professionalism. There of course would have to be a clearly defined ladder leading to GP2, perhaps (in reverse order) ...... F1, GP2, GP3 International, GP3 National, National OW development series.
By vaptin

Why limit it to GP2?

It wouldn't necessarily have to be GP2, although that would be in line with the intent for that series. My idea is to get as many of the top prospects as possible into the same series, to increase the level of competition and educate them in what it takes to be an F1 driver. If you make one series (I'll call it GP2 for the sake of discussion) as the final required step before F1, you have a better chance of maintaining a high level of professionalism. There of course would have to be a clearly defined ladder leading to GP2, perhaps (in reverse order) ...... F1, GP2, GP3 International, GP3 National, National OW development series.

You could just tighten up the controls for a super license, would achieve it I think.
By NHcheese
BAD NEWS!

Red Bull have said that they turned their attention to the RB10 early on.
By Jabberwocky
GOOD NEWS!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
By spankyham
UNRELIABLE NEWS!

By Hammer278
IRRELEVANT NEWS.

Mercedes started their 2014 project before 2013 even began.
By 1Lemon
RIDICULOUS NEWS

HRT was focusing on 2014 before going bust!
By CookinFlat6
FACTUAL NEWS!

Mercedes make their own engines and have been targetting and preparing for 2014 since 2012. Thats why they had double the staff everyone else had and is why their dtractors were hoping they would implode with too many chefs. They are strangely silent now on the 'too many top staff' issue

See our F1 related articles too!