FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Hammer278
Maldonado surely wanted to hi-jack Di Resta's car today....lol. Paul's face while walking back was priceless, I wonder if that was the team's fault again.
By racechick
:rofl: that's exactly what I said when it happenned! That'll be the team's fault! :hehe:
By CookinFlat6
It was the teams fault. If they had not sent him out earliest on inters in quali, he would have had a later run and wouldnt have started where he did on the grid, and therefore would not have ended up at that exact point on the track at that exact time that he got clipped.

And maybe he can claim back expenses involved in the long walk back to the garage
By zurich_allan
Personally I don't mind di Resta's interviews one bit. What I abslutely HATE is the boring nonsense PR speak that so many sports people (not just F1 drivers) use, and especially the use of 'we' when asked about aspects of their sport - in our case a race. There are some drivers in the past that I couldn't imagine ever using these sort of terms. And to clarify, it's not that I don't understand the reasoning (the team built the car, the driver races it, the pitwall design the strategy - blah blah blah), I get it. It's just that sometimes a driver is more responsible for the success or failure of a car (see Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton and Alonso at various points in their careers for the former), and sometimes the team is more responsible than the driver for allowing an average driver to win races with spectacular machinery - multiple examples of this.

In fact, to be quite blunt, I really couldn't care less about driver interviews in general - Nigel Mansell was as dull as a week in Kelso (Northern Scotland - don't ever go there...), but is one of my favourite drivers ever because he was spectacular in the car. Nelson Piquet Snr. was an utter phalus in terms of personality, but was an amazing champion. Heck, I could go back and forward with Alonso's personality, yet to me he is still the most complete all round racer in F1, and as such I have massive respect for him. Personality does not dictate to me whether or not I like a driver - what they can do in the car does.

Paul di Resta showed in DTM, a ridiculously difficult series to be successful in, that he is a real top level racer, I watched pretty much all of his races in the series at the time and he was aggressive yet controlled, and when given the machinery was a machine himself. I don't think the Force India has ever really suited his driving style, and can see that it frustrates him. But I guarantee that a lot of influential people in F1 recognise his talent. As Andrew said earlier in the thread, if he didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all, and that goes for both his in car and off track F1 career thus far - he was incredibly unlucky not to get a better seat for this year, and I still think on a long term basis the decision for McLaren to go for Perez over him was a little strange. Time will tell I suppose.
By stonemonkey
And maybe he can claim back expenses involved in the long walk back to the garage

OI! Just because he's Scottish...
By racechick

:hehe::hehe:
By zurich_allan

Oi indeed!! :D I'm Scottish, and I claim expenses.... but then I live in central Scotland and work twice a year in London and twice a year in Aberdeen (up there again this week coming), so between travel and hotel fees to both locations, if I didn't claim expenses I'd be poor.... :(:hehe:
By 1Lemon
"In Hungary, yes, we struggled, but here we bounced back well," said the 26-year-old. "That is where our car is, fighting for ninth, 10th if everything goes well.
"Everybody has done a good job reacting, all the engineers, and the effort put in has obviously paid off.
"It would have been points but for what happened with Maldonado. There was definitely a 10th place in there."

He's taking all the credit here for improving the car.

Seriously though, I was confused at what Maldonado was doing, he was desperately trying to overtake Guttierez and then claimed he was heading into the pits, even after he'd passed the start of the pit entrance lines, he also was no where near turning into the pits coming into the Bus Stop. Obviously I'm not suggesting Maldo made a b-line for the Force India's but it seems like a late decision that he didn't think about properly.
By What's Burning?
You'll find that the explanation to most dumb things in life start out with the words "I didn't think".
By sagi58
You'll find that the explanation to most dumb things in life start out with the words "I didn't think".

Every time I find my foot in my mouth, I start explaining myself by saying "I didn't think..." :banghead:
So... If you need empirical data, let me know... :wavey:
By sagi58
Personally, I like Di Resta!!

As for how he speaks when he's interviewed, I'd like to point out that there is a certain driver,
who happens to be a favourite of oh, so many, who described how he won in the first person
( I, me, my), yet, when he lost, he spoke of his battle as a group effort (we, us, our)!!

It's annoying when that happens because, no matter how good a driver is, he is nothing without
a good car, a good team and a good strategy... oh, and let's not forget a little thing called "luck"!
By What's Burning?

If Paul wore one of these would he be Paul Di Rasta?
By sagi58
:rofl::rofl:

Gives new meaning to "he's smokin' 'round the track"!! Image
By racechick
Personally, I like Di Resta!!

As for how he speaks when he's interviewed, I'd like to point out that there is a certain driver,
who happens to be a favourite of oh, so many, who described how he won in the first person
( I, me, my), yet, when he lost, he spoke of his battle as a group effort (we, us, our)!!

If you mean Lewis, this is what he said after his first win for Mercedes....

"The team has just done an exceptional job," he said. "We have worked so hard to understand these tyres and we got the balance spot on."

But this is the Di Resta thread and in the last race, he claimed the credit personally for the tyre call ( though the boss said it was he and the strategists) then it was the car that was too slow, not we were too slow.
Maybe I'll soften to him, I hope so.
By CookinFlat6

If Paul wore one of these would he be Paul Di Rasta?

No way

He'd be Paul De Rasta

See our F1 related articles too!