FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
By stonemonkey
Anyone know wtf is going on here?

I was installing some software/drivers that came with an effects unit that is also a usb audio device. During installation windows said the drivers weren't signed or something and that it would make a recovery point before installing the drivers. At that point none of my external HDDs were connected. Later on I was going to put some files onto one of my HDDs so plugged it in and tried to copy the file only to be told that there was no room (on my newly cleared out 160Gb drive). When I looked at it (had to view hidden files) the drive now has recycle bin and some other folders and files called RP and it seems to have something to do with the recovery points. I tried plugging in the other drives and the same thing's happened to all them, windows says they are empty but there's those files on them that I can't delete and I can't write anything to the drives, I've tried cleanup, error checking and formatting, nothing fixes them.
Can't help you since the first thing I do when I install Windows is shut off the auto restore. I do a proper back up periodically.
Now I'm feeling a bit stupid, it turns out the files I was trying to copy were too big for FAT32, although in my defence, windows was just saying there wasn't enough room on the drive and was suggesting I could use cleanup to make more room, and I still can't get rid of the recovery files and folders it's put on the drive.
It is when your metabolism stops an the inevitably happens.

Seriously, it is a format system that computers use. File Allocation Table 32 bit, it stands for from memory.

Seriously, it is a format system that computers use. File Allocation Table 32 bit, it stands for from memory.

With a max filesize of 4Gb even on an empty 160Gb drive, and windows being helpful as ever doesn't tell you the file is too big, instead it says there is not enough room on the drive and using cleanup might sort it which is just lies.
It is an old system really. NTFS etc have taken off as all modern windows systems are built on NT technology. I still work on a few NT4 systems
By myownalias
Don't think the PS3 can read NTFS.

Correct; but you should be able to format your drive to FAT32 and be able to read upto 2TB drive; the downside is that single files can be no larger than 4GB!

My solution is to use a separate PC as DNLA server and stream contents from my 2TB (NTFS) hard disk to the PS3.
By geetface9

thank you

See our F1 related articles too!