FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By andrew
I thought next years car was supposedly meant to have been designed around Hamilton whose driving style is different to that of Button and Perez?
By myownalias
In this case however, for me it's no question. As you know MOA, nothing personal between us, but the one thing we can never agree on is Jenson Button and we both have our reasons! :twisted:

We'll find out next season, but I believe Button and Perez' driving styles are more compatible because they are both smooth drivers, hence why Perez can make his tyres last longer, so the car should suit both drivers, unlike the Button/Hamilton partnership! There is also the possibility that Perez may not live upto the hype in a top car, unlikely but it's a possibility!

Or he might drive JB's pants off...

That's a possibility as well; as things stand we have no direct comparison so we'll just have to suck it and see next season; assuming the World doesn't end on December 21st!
By racechick
I thought next years car was supposedly meant to have been designed around Hamilton whose driving style is different to that of Button and Perez?

Oops. Mclaren blew that then.
By killem2

Actually hamiliton did buy turning his back on his team.

Small correction.
By racechick

Small correction.

by not buy..another small correction :D

But actually not Hamilton's problem, McLaren's. :)
By f1ea

Correction: Mclaren's 2013 car has been designed around Lewis being in the team.

A little difference. ;)
By LewEngBridewell

Small correction.

Indeed. Hamilton has problems of his own...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Denthúl

Small correction.

Yes, but he can buy more expensive toys to help him deal with them... :yes:
By Hammer278

Small correction.

In this same list, you see a name on top of the great "McLaren"...a drinks company which has had 9 years in Formula 1 and considerably more success in the past decade compared to "McLaren" which has been in the sport since before you or I were born. You will also notice in the 90's era, (from 1991 - 2012) that is 21 years, McLaren have won a total of FOUR World Championships. During this time, Williams (a privateer) has won the same number, Benetton/Renault has won four as well, Ferrari (as a full manufacturer) has won 6, and the new drinks company has won 2 in 9 years.

The last bit of success McLaren had was in 2008, with the driver who is leaving the team. Oh, and another significant thing which could be potentially leaving them in the dry - their engine. Mercedes as a full works manufacturer are not going to be a goody two shoes 'share all the info the moment we get it so our team doesn't get an advantage over Mclaren', rather the opposite. McLaren will be buying the engines from Merc. And thanks to this deal, you can bet there would be some animosity between the two teams, since Mercedes essentially stole McLarens lead driver from under their noses. This action isn't exactly a friendly 'lets play together and win together' mentality, it's a strategic decision to gain an edge over McLaren.

Things are going to be more strained than usual, and I might not even be surprised if McLaren ditch the Merc deal and go for a Renault or even a Cosworth from 2014.

Point being, before you throw out these lists which favour McLaren, you might need to be more concerned about what the future holds for the great 'Won nothing but 1 in 13 years'.
By scotty
Funny to see you having a proper go at McLaren in that way now Hammer, when i have seen you slate Mercedes for costing Raikkonen the title in 2005. What's changed? (rhetorical question!) :twisted:
By vaptin
Resources are now restricted though, Redbull are spending as much as anyone, which helps to explain their success, F1 is great for their branding, it fits in, which is why they invested so heavily.

McLaren are now privateers, they need money, the economic downturn has had a negative impact on their sponsorship opportunities, and they wanted to save money on driver's wages and Hamilton's contract was up for renewal, driver wages being an exception to spending caps, McLaren can't really compete with Mercedes in the ability to throw money at Hamilton.
By racechick
Resources are now restricted though, Redbull are spending as much as anyone, which helps to explain their success, F1 is great for their branding, it fits in, which is why they invested so heavily.

McLaren are now privateers, they need money, the economic downturn has had a negative impact on their sponsorship opportunities, and they wanted to save money on driver's wages and Hamilton's contract was up for renewal, driver wages being an exception to spending caps, McLaren can't really compete with Mercedes in the ability to throw money at Hamilton.

But they threw iat Button :confused:
But its a mute point anyway, hamilton didnt chase the money.
By What's Burning?

But they threw iat Button :confused:

Well come now RC... I'm sure he wasn't chasing the money but he also didn't take a pay cut out of the deal.
By racechick

But they threw it at Button :confused:

Well come now RC... I'm sure he wasn't chasing the money but he also didn't take a pay cut out of the deal.

Oh absolutely! he was already unhappy at how things were panning out. can you honestly see him running around collecting the points and sharing his set-up data with Button while Button earnt more than him? Principal and respect not money.
By scotty
Back on topic...

[youtube]nDFBzOZvQhU[/youtube]

See our F1 related articles too!