FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By LRW
Whatever you have to think of McLaren, you have to admit they are always there or there about with the car.

But is thereabouts good enough.....? I dont think so...
By Hammer278
I wonder what all the Lewis fans will say when Perez is the 2013 WDC?

"Well done Perez" or "Im so glad NoGrip didnt win it"

Nailed it. :rofl:
By Jabberwocky
Whatever you have to think of McLaren, you have to admit they are always there or there about with the car.

Would you rather drive for a team like that or a team that has the DNA like Renault (no where, no where, no where, world champions, no where, no where?)
By andrew

Would you rather drive for a team like that or a team that has the DNA like Renault (no where, no where, no where, world champions, no where, no where?)

You missed out the 2 drivers and 1 constructors with Benetton. :wink:
By Hammer278

In the last decade, they have won 2 WDCs...double of what McLaren has won, when the latter has had race winning cars EVERY year. This in itself points to some serious issues in the team. They always emphasize their 'existence to win'...what they mean is to literally win races, but never championships. 2000 was probably their last genuine effort in trying for the WDC, and lost it to Ferrari. Their 2008 WDC was just a bonus. :hehe:
By racechick
I wonder what all the Lewis fans will say when Perez is the 2013 WDC?

"Well done Perez" or "Im so glad NoGrip didnt win it"

Nailed it. :rofl:

:yes: And that would be one hell of an achievement against Button and Whitmarsh....but sweet!!!!
By LewEngBridewell

In the last decade, they have won 2 WDCs...double of what McLaren has won, when the latter has had race winning cars EVERY year. This in itself points to some serious issues in the team. They always emphasize their 'existence to win'...what they mean is to literally win races, but never championships. 2000 was probably their last genuine effort in trying for the WDC, and lost it to Ferrari. Their 2008 WDC was just a bonus. :hehe:

You point out that Renault won 2 WDCs. But that's literally it. They peaked, then they fell. The end. Many teams do, and that's what Jabber's getting at.

I always comfort myself with the fact that McLaren have outdone Ferrari in the WCC for the past 3 years :P:blush::blush:

Of course, it's not enough, but it's something. Only 1 team can win the WCC at a time. That 1 team happens to fluctuate you know.
By Jabberwocky
I also changed the post to Renault, originally it was BAR/Honda/Brawn/Mercedes, but that would of confused matters with the Lewis to Merc thing.
By Jabberwocky
*cough*BENETTON*cough*

:whip:

I was pointing out the peaks and dips of some teams where as other teams like Mclaren and Ferrari are always close to the front of the grid.
By myownalias
*cough*BENETTON*cough*

I was pointing out the peaks and dips of some teams where as other teams like Mclaren and Ferrari are always close to the front of the grid.

As Hammer likes to keep pointing out; McLaren haven't won a constructors title in 13 years; but Ferrari went 15 years without a constructors title...
By vaptin
*cough*BENETTON*cough*

As Hammer likes to keep pointing out; McLaren haven't won a constructors title in 13 years; but Ferrari went 15 years without a constructors title...

Need to work out how to clone Alonso then 8-) Alternatively replace Massa.
By LewEngBridewell
*cough*BENETTON*cough*

Yep. One only needs to cast their minds back. :yes:
By Jabberwocky
Mclaren has not been out of the top 5 constructors since 1981, and not out of the top 3 teams since 2004.

Toleman/Benetton/Renault/Lotus (since 1981) they have been out of the top 5 constructors 9 times. Since 2004 has been outside the top 3, 3 times.

See our F1 related articles too!