FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Hammer278
Don't forget Singapore where he was all over the rear wing of Button, and Button was too much of a wimp to make a move on the slower cars right ahead of him...and Perez magically settles for eating his exhaust for the remaining laps.
By LRW
Reading between the lines of what Whitmarsh is saying below, Im pretty confident Perez is gone.

McLaren Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh has admitted that Sergio Perez might not be retained as speculation that the Mexican is being dropped in favour of Kevin Magnussen intensifies.

Sky Sports F1 reported last week that the Woking team are seriously considering replacing Perez with new Formula Renault 3.5 champion Magnussen. The 21-year-old Dane is a member of McLaren's Young Driver Development Programme and Whitmarsh has described him in the past as being "lightning quick".

Speaking in a Vodafone phone-in on Monday, Whitmarsh said that "lots of people are being considered" for the seat but stopped short of naming names. He added that "when we've come to the end of those considerations we'll make an announcement".

McLaren have yet to formally announce either of their 2014 drivers, although a new deal for Jenson Button has been agreed.

Perez has expressed confidence in the past that he too will be retained but there is a feeling that the 23-year-old Mexican has not delivered in terms of outright speed.

Whitmarsh admitted that McLaren have hardly helped matters with their uncompetitive MP4-28 chassis, but neither did he give Perez a particularly ringing endorsement.

"We have not provided either of our drivers with a good enough race car this year. So in those circumstances I think Sergio has been a great team member and he's made a spirited contribution," Whitmarsh said.

"He's produced some really good races, some exciting races and ruffled a few feathers and I think he's done a pretty good job throughout the whole year."

Next season brings comprehensive rule changes but Whitmarsh said the question of how Perez might adapt to the new breed of F1 cars, powered by 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines and featuring enhanced energy recovery systems, was not the issue.

"In an era of change, you need bright drivers. I think Sergio is a clever guy and I think in that regard he's a good driver for anyone next year, including ourselves," he said.

"I think we've got two intelligent drivers now and I'm sure we'll have just that next year."

Whitmarsh also denied the suggestion that Perez will essentially be driving for his McLaren career in both the United States and Brazilian Grands Prix.

"He'll be driving very hard in Texas, I know - it's as close as he's going to get to a home crowd this year and we'll want to do a good job in front of them," he added.

"We'll be doing everything with him to see if he can get a good result.

"I think a lot of honest feedback both ways is best done in private and not done in public."
By LiamCatterson
Yeah, Sergio is gone...It's a shame that they are getting rid of him one season in, Especially when McLaren MIGHT enter a stage where they might regain their dominance. They haven't really given him a chance to be honest, McLaren screwed up their own car, Sergio was expected to not be ahead of JB and he has done a pretty good job despite the troubles the car has gone through. Shame really
By CookinFlat6
Sergio hasn't done worse against Button than Kimi did against Coulthard in his first year at McLaren

This is nothing to do with performance only sponsorship and money, it's not Sergio's fault he has ended up at a team in a mess
By racechick
I'm Sad for Sergio, but he was stepping into a no win situation. I believe I may have tweeted him to warn him before he started, but he didn't listen.......and look what happenned :shrug:
By Jabberwocky
Spirited contribution. Not a good contribution just he tried well

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
By CookinFlat6
There is nothing to be read in whitmarshes pr claptrap. If Sergio was going they would have told him so that he can make plans. It could be a ploy to get Telmex to pay up. If the team had a sponsor signed they wouldn't delay the announcement till next year.

The only way Sergio is getting sacked for a rookie with no funding is if McLaren have signed a title sponsor for 60 mill or so. If they had they would be after the hulk. If Telmex don't pay up as a title sponsor they are after some funding for Sergio. If that doesn't happen they will be getting Maldo.

Buttons deal may be agreed but they haven't signed because they don't have the money to pay it yet. If Sergio goes because Telmex don't want to pay anything at all, it will be Maldo and Mag

IMHO
By racechick
I just can't believe Whitmarsh will let Button go. He'll hang on till his nails get ripped out ( Whitmarsh I meant, doing the hanging on....but it would work just as well if you read it the other way.......as in Button doing the hanging on)

I think Perez will be the sacrificial lamb. Hope not. But then there is that money thing.... :scratchchin:
By CookinFlat6
Unless Whitmarsh can find Buttons 15,10,8, even 5 mill wage for next year without a title sponsor to replace Voda, and without miraculaously coming 2nd in the WCC and without Merc suddenly gifting next years engines, I suspect he will have to personally employ Button as his chauffeur to carry on their cosy relationship

A bit like driving miss whitmarsh
By LewEngBridewell
Shame. Sergio struggled to pick up the points, but the speed seemed to be there. Another year would've been good for him.
By Roth
F1 has turned into teaching - hire a graduate, they're cheap and still get the job done.

It's dispiriting that we're not seeing the best men but the good-enough boys with money.
By NHcheese
But McLaren chose speed over money when chosing Magnussen for Perez. I like that. Also, other teams may need that extra cash, so it's good he is in the market.
By Hammer278
The smartest thing to do would be to keep Perez (potential) and the Telmex money and replace the other guy with Magnussen...both with a 1 year contract. It's quite an inexperienced duo but I don't think McLaren will be vying for the Championships next year anyway. If they are realistic, they'd know it. At least it bolsters the team financially and they would still have an exciting line up to welcome Honda in 2014 with options to replace the weaker driver with a star driver which might become available.

Unfortunately I don't see this happening since in this case Whitmarsh won't have anyone to think about while satisfying his wife.
By CookinFlat6
F1 has turned into teaching - hire a graduate, they're cheap and still get the job done.

It's dispiriting that we're not seeing the best men but the good-enough boys with money.

Its even worse when its not the best men but the disturbingly good looking ones
By LRW
Ooh - Sergio attempts to hit back....?

Sergio Perez: McLaren must be more humble and better organised

Sergio Perez says McLaren need to be better organised and more humble if they are to return to the top.

The Mexican's comments follow McLaren's decision to replace him with Danish novice Kevin Magnussen for next season.

"This is a great team. If I'm here next year there should be more organisation and many times more humility when facing reality" he told the EFE agency.

"McLaren has struggled to see where we were instead of carrying on thinking we had a car to win races."

McLaren are poised for their worst season since 1980, with two fifth places - one for Perez and one for team-mate Jenson Button - as their best results.

The team have not yet officially announced their decision to promote Magnussen - which has been widely reported in the media, including on this website - and Perez did not say whether he had been informed.

He added: "Right now the car we have is to fight for points. That's the reality right now and the team has struggled to understand this.

"Martin Whitmarsh is a great leader; I don't have anything against him. I think he leads this team well but at the end of the day a team doesn't depend on only one person.

"There are many more people that probably haven't been good enough, especially this year."

Perez heads this weekend into arguably his most important race of the year, the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas.

The event is held less than 100 miles from the border with Mexico and will be attended by tens of thousands of Mexican fans.

"Mentally after what's been said I'm OK," Perez said. "I have a lot of support from my country and that's what helps me carry on. If I don't drive for this team next year I have to study the best option and see what's best for my future."

He admitted he was "disappointed", saying: "When your objectives are much higher than your results, we have a reason to be disappointed, both me and the team."

Perez, who joined McLaren for this season as a replacement for Lewis Hamilton, has been linked with a possible move to Force India, while there are also potential vacancies at Lotus and his former team Sauber for next Season

See our F1 related articles too!