FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By geetface9
I wish I had a manual transmission in my car!! I hate when I'm getting on the freeway or hitting a turn way too fast and automatic shifts up and then my engine goes to 1.5k rpm when I need 3.5k :banghead:
By Frontrunner
You gotta drive manual. Auto's are just lazy! :whip::hehe:

I've been driving manual cars ever since I got my full license, I just like it because you decide when you change gear unlike autos. but now i'm getting over it a bit and starting to consider a auto for my next car, well... whenever i can afford a new car anyway. perhaps also I can get one with the sequential option aswell
By Hammer278
Autos have become more and more of an advantage....especially with the different settings that cars come with these days. If you put an M5 Automatic VS an M5 Manual, the Auto could win due to electronics determining when's best to make the shifts. Drag racing with a manual tranny is no longer an advantage today.

But if you like feeling 'in control' of the car, why not get a car which has both? Even standard Jap cars come with tiptronic nowadays. As for myself, my car weighs a tonne and I'm glad for an auto tranny especially when stuck in rush hour. I have a mate who has the exact model I drive and his is a manual...he stays back in office an extra 2 hours every day just to avoid rush hour and clutch balancing.
By What's Burning?
One of the punishments of hell surely must be driving in rush hour traffic with a manual transmission. :yes:
By Hammer278
Do you have a car?
By andrew
Not at the moment but I have spent a lot of time driving in rush hour traffic in a city that is far too small for the volume of traffic.
By Jabberwocky
Does it matter how heavy a car is for the clutch?

My Evo had a double plated ceramic clutch. That was a nightmare in traffic
By andrew
I guess a lot of it is down to personal preference and what you're used to. Personally, I prefer a heavier clutch.
By Hammer278
Does it matter how heavy a car is for the clutch?

My Evo had a double plated ceramic clutch. That was a nightmare in traffic

I've never tried it since mine is an auto. But this friend of mine avoids bumper to bumper traffic since 1/2 hour of negotiating with the clutch gives him an aching ankle.
By Jabberwocky
The trouble was that with that clutch it needed to be above 3000 rpm or it would stall. There was not slipping of the clutch either, it was off or on. traffic was Engine revving at 3k drop the clutch, foot back on the clutch after you had hit about 20mph in about 2 meters.

outcome after half hour of sitting in traffic. Whiplash, deaf, and 1000's of miles taken from the life of the clutch
By Hammer278
The trouble was that with that clutch it needed to be above 3000 rpm or it would stall. There was not slipping of the clutch either, it was off or on. traffic was Engine revving at 3k drop the clutch, foot back on the clutch after you had hit about 20mph in about 2 meters.

outcome after half hour of sitting in traffic. Whiplash, deaf, and 1000's of miles taken from the life of the clutch

Hey, when you get an Evo...it's not going to act like a Rolls. :wink:
By Jabberwocky
I sold it in the end because I could not afford to keep replacing clutches. 12, 000km from a clutch was the most I achieved
By Hammer278
Good decision....those jap cars are just boy racer toys, the closest I came to liking one is the old model Nissan Skyline. Most badass jap car IMO.

The Nissan GTR is the best one they have out there right now though...loaded with all sorts of tech which a driver actually doesn't care for. Or at least, not after the first couple of weeks. Have a friend who has one, it's a Ferrari/Lamborghini beater...but I'd still buy a Lambo anyday. When I get money which I don't mind throwing around. :P

See our F1 related articles too!