FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By certom
but...what happened?? three people dead are many! are they all drivers or also stewards, spectators etc..??
By johnbull
The TT is like the Targa Florio and the Mille Miglia. Both have unfortunately gone into oblivion.

I took part in the Targa Florio in 1972 and the Milano Taranto Motorcycle race in 1992. The Targa was still a World sports car championship event in 72 with drivers like Ickx, Elford, Rodriguez, Siffert, Merzario and so many others. It still used the 47 mile Madonie mountain circuit, and it was bloody madness.

The Milano - Taranto was the motorcycle equivalent of the Mille Miglia though by 1990 it had become watered down to rally status for Vintage machines. In fact I took part on my 1949 HRD Meteor 500.

With today's speeds these road circuits are a bit on the dangerous side. The TT with it's kerbs, traffic islands and roundabouts has unfortunately outgrown itself.

It is still however an outstanding challenge. Perhaps even more so these days.
By certom
excuse my ignorance but...tt stays for turist trophy or what?

and, johnbull, did u really take part to the targa??? oh man, post some pics!
By johnbull
excuse my ignorance but...tt stays for turist trophy or what?

and, johnbull, did u really take part to the targa??? oh man, post some pics!

Yes. 1972. Go to the official Targa sites. You'll see me on the list. Car number 51. Joe Anastasi, sharing with Matteo Sgarlata.

There's also a pic of my car at the Targa Florio Museum at Cerda.

I visited again with my wife last November and we rode a lap of the circuit on my Yamaha FJR - GLORIOUS! 8) and I went there on holiday with a couple of friends who used to come to the Targa each year, a couple of months ago, and did another lap of the 47 mile circuit in a hire car. There wasn't much tread left on the tyres when we gave it back! :roll:

Happy memories. Actually just last Friday a group of old racers met up for a Karting meeting. My brother was the youngest at 57. The oldest was 74. It was fabulous. Believe me, we may be grey and fat but none of us have lost any of our competitive spirit. And I finished 2nd to my brother - only because he's 15 kilos lighter than I am. :wink:

An ex racer, John Pace now 72 was in Malta after 40 years in the USA. He came along and raced too. Great fun. He also invited the "young guns" to a race too and put up one of his old trophies for the winner, who incidentally was my son Josh.
By certom
oh this is a wonderful story! i'll later search information about you, for example, what car did you drive?
By johnbull
oh this is a wonderful story! i'll later search information about you, for example, what car did you drive?

It was vaguely a 1400 Mini with a lightweight shell and lots of goodies. We ran in the prototype class up to 1600cc and were 2nd in class to a couple of Italians driving a Chevron, till we retired with mechanical problems.

It was good while it lasted.

Then in the later 70s and early 80s I built a Group 5 Mini and raced that regularly in Italy winning 7 times ffrom 12 starts.

If I remember I'll post some pics from the office tomorrow.

Get into http://www.islandcarclub.com Go into gallery - hill climb pics by Frans Micallef. You'll see me at the commentary table and a pic of my son's car, the orange single seater, number 20. He won overall last weekend. His first overall win.
By certom
i've just visited your site! now i'm visiting the second one!

See our F1 related articles too!