FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Will Lewis Hamilton leave McLaren at the end of this season?

Yes, he'll leave McLaren
32%
No, he won't leave McLaren
32%
I don't know
20%
I don't care
16%
This is all hot air
No votes
0%
Twitter is hotting up about this topic. Could this "big question" finally be answered today???????? :eek:

BENSON & HEDGES

IT'S OFFICIAL! LEWIS HAMILTON IS GOING TO MERCEDES!
Lewis Hamilton is to leave McLaren and sign to race for Mercedes from next season.
The move, predicted by BBC Sport earlier this month, is expected to be announced on Friday and will have huge repercussions throughout Formula 1.
It has forced Michael Schumacher out of Mercedes but it it is not clear whether the German legend will go back into retirement or look for another team.
Sauber driver Sergio Perez is expected to be Hamilton's McLaren replacement.
Hamilton's decision is a huge blow to McLaren, who will now have to do without the speed and inspirational talent of a man they have nurtured since he was 13 years old.
And it is a correspondingly massive coup for Mercedes, who have struggled since returning to the sport as a team owner in 2010 by buying the then world champion Brawn team.
Hamilton has been offered unequivocal number one status and will be partnered by German Nico Rosberg.
Although Hamilton's salary at Mercedes will be larger than the one he was offered by McLaren, and he has more opportunity to earn money through personal sponsorships and endorsements, sources close to the 27-year-old insist he has switched teams with a view to long-term performance.
McLaren have the fastest car this season, while Mercedes have slipped backwards after a promising start to the year.
But Mercedes have sold the move to Hamilton on the basis that they are preparing for a huge push in 2014, when new chassis and engine rules are introduced.
Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn, who masterminded Ferrari's years of domination in the early 2000s, has been instrumental in persuading Hamilton the move is the right decision for his future.
Hamilton, whose failure to win more than one world title so far in his career rankles with him, is banking on Brawn being able to conjure a similar period of domination at Mercedes.
Schumacher's future is uncertain. Sauber team boss Peter Sauber said a week ago that he would offer the seven-time champion a drive if he became available.
But despite the Swiss team's strong performances this season, that would be seen as a significant comedown for a man who was expected to win on his return.
Instead, Schumacher's comeback after three years in retirement has been a huge disappointment - he has scored only one podium finish in three years.
Lew I hate to steal your thunder, but weve been here since 1am talking about this.... catch up.... :wink::hehe:

Ahh crap. :blush:

Well, it's been confirmed properly now! :D:wink::wink:
Lew I hate to steal your thunder, but weve been here since 1am talking about this.... catch up.... :wink::hehe:

Ahh crap. :blush:

Well, it's been confirmed properly now! :D:wink::wink:

To be honest we were all just keeping our fingers crossed, hoping you would show up and confirm it!! :hehe:
Time for a new and more meaningful poll: Lewis Hamilton VS Nico Rosberg

I was dreaming of this partnership since 2009. :clap:
PEREZ HIGHLY TO TAKE HIS PLACE!!!

Would Ferrari allow that?

Perez himself has been quoted somewhere (will try to find it) of saying he is part of the Ferrari Academy, and no the Ferrari team - and they could not stop him going anywhere....
Perez has come through the Ferrari accademy, he's not part of the Ferrari team. Ferrari had their chance and said he wasnt experienced enough. Now theyve lost the chance to find out.

So who else was right on the poll. I was :D
Damn, he's going! It will be tough, but Lewis could also benefit from this. Knowing how Brawn works, I wouldn't be suprised to see Hamilton winning the title in Vettel 2011 style in a year or two. I think that, when all is considered, this is the right move. He will have a good teammate, which is always a strong base for the team.
However, as for his place, I think that one of the Force India boys would be better in McLaren. Let's face it, Sauber is more similar to Ferrari.
Perez has come through the Ferrari accademy, he's not part of the Ferrari team. Ferrari had their chance and said he wasnt experienced enough. Now theyve lost the chance to find out.

So who else was right on the poll. I was :D

Me :P

See our F1 related articles too!