FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By 1Lemon
Williams are very cagey about tech signings at the moment

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I think they're in the best position next year, bar Merc who have infinitely more resources.
By Jabberwocky
Brawn-newey superteam signing coming up

By 1Lemon
Brawn-newey superteam signing coming up

Brawn-Newey-Bottas!

BNB'n
By operaman
If Williams pulled a Brawn do you think Massa would have the chops to get the job done?

No, but Bottas might. If Massa is willing to take on a teaching role, the Williams team could benefit. More likely Felipe will just sulk, if Bottas shows pace.
By racechick
If Williams pulled a Brawn do you think Massa would have the chops to get the job done?

No, but Bottas might. If Massa is willing to take on a teaching role, the Williams team could benefit. More likely Felipe will just sulk, if Bottas shows pace.

I'm really hoping we'll see the old Massa back, out of Alonso's shadow, leading the team. I think it could work for him.
By NHcheese
Massa is not gonna transform the team! It's all about the car!
By racechick
Massa is not gonna transform the team! It's all about the car!

I didn't say he would transform the team. I said the move may transform him.
By NHcheese
Now that's very clever.
By sagi58
I'm really hoping we'll see the old Massa back, out of Alonso's shadow, leading the team. I think it could work for him.

The "old" Massa? I'm sorry, as a Tifosa, I should probably take a leaf out of your book;
but, to be honest, I didn't ever see Massa as anything other than a support driver!
A team player, surely; but, a "champion"? Nope! :blush:

He's a sweet guy; but, doesn't have that killer instinct that seems to be the difference
between a good (technical) driver and a true champion. Massa works hard; but, it's not
like he hasn't been compensated!! As well, let's not forget the "extra" time he's had with
Ferrari and the loyalty they've demonstrated towards him!!

I don't think we need to throw him a pity party!!

Personally, I wish he'd stayed at Ferrari in some sort of capacity (NOT driving)!!
By racechick
He saw Schumacher off a time or two and Kimi.

I watched him live at Istanbul 2006, and he was in a different league to both Alonso and Schumacher. The race was between those two for second place. Massa was in a different race. It was Vettelesque in execution,,,,,,,and he wasn't even the favoured boy. Just so far ahead that any contemplated position swapping to help the favoured one was out of the question.
By LewEngBridewell

The "old" Massa? I'm sorry, as a Tifosa, I should probably take a leaf out of your book;
but, to be honest, I didn't ever see Massa as anything other than a support driver!
A team player, surely; but, a "champion"? Nope! :blush:

Back in 2008, Massa was leading the team (in terms of performance) ahead of Kimi Raikkonen. He took the title battle to the final corner of the final race. That was surely a different Massa to the one we see now, post-Budapest 2009.
By Hammer278
He saw Schumacher off a time or two and Kimi.

I watched him live at Istanbul 2006, and he was in a different league to both Alonso and Schumacher. The race was between those two for second place. Massa was in a different race. It was Vettelesque in execution,,,,,,,and he wasn't even the favoured boy. Just so far ahead that any contemplated position swapping to help the favoured one was out of the question.

Exactly..and to add to this, the old Massa is pre-knock on the head Hungary. Which is probably the reason Ferrari held onto him for quite a while hoping he'll find his form but with the enthusiasm of Alonso in keeping Massa as a teammate (with Ferrari once being a huge believer of Alonso) and Massa's history showing he has some skills behind the wheel, Ferrari kept him on board.

Time has run out, and Alonso's opinions don't matter anymore, thus Massa finally gets his send of party.
By sagi58
I know that Massa has had "moments" where he outshone his partners;
BUT, it would seem that it's consistency that wins championships.

Except for that one "fateful" season, where he lost by a single point,
that consistency has been sadly lacking!

Like I said, that "killer" instinct doesn't seem to be part of his psyche!
NOT that it's a bad thing; but, that seems to be the difference!

Yes, Ferrari has been very patient and loyal where Massa is concerned
and although many see that as Alonso being "afraid" to have a strong
driver as a partner, I believe it's more a matter of Ferrari's "love" of
Massa that has kept him in red overalls, all this time!!
By operaman
I know that Massa has had "moments" where he outshone his partners;
BUT, it would seem that it's consistency that wins championships.

Except for that one "fateful" season, where he lost by a single point,
that consistency has been sadly lacking!

Like I said, that "killer" instinct doesn't seem to be part of his psyche!
NOT that it's a bad thing; but, that seems to be the difference!

Yes, Ferrari has been very patient and loyal where Massa is concerned
and although many see that as Alonso being "afraid" to have a strong
driver as a partner, I believe it's more a matter of Ferrari's "love" of
Massa that has kept him in red overalls, all this time!!

Pretty accurate assessment S. Massa's problem has always seemed (to me anyway) to be one of adaptability. He was blindingly fast on certain tracks (Brazil, Bahrain, Turkey) under conditions where he could get the tires up to temperature, but outside of his comfort zone performance dropped off pretty rapidly.

See our F1 related articles too!