FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By What's Burning?
I believe we already discussed my opinion of 'luck' in sports, dunno if you remember. :P

maybe it got lost along with my air of sarcasm. :wink:

I'm glad there's another race next week. Anyway, don't be all sour grapes cause I caught up to you in the pool. But the podium step is only big enough for one guy. :whip:
By Kishin
I think you guys are being too hard with Grosjean. Of course I think he did a very stupid action today, and he deserve this penalty, but i think it was no his intention to make this disaster on first corner. And don't forget other dangerous actions made by other drivers, for example, the Hungary Grand Prix in 2010, when Schumacher was near of push Barrichello into the walls, and he only recive a ten-place penalty for it.
He nearly flattened Alonso it was an extremly dangerous and obsurd positioning of the vehicle thats why he has a ban this was an accident worth much more damage and not good for an F1 driver to do!

Well, yes, he nearly flattened Alonso. Coulthard was also near to flatten Wurz in Australia 2007 and i don't remember any penalty to him. I think Grosjean was not well of do what he did, but there are many other F1 drivers that have made actions of this kind and they hasn't been as criticized.
By What's Burning?
What was done was done. But someone should remember to Hamilton also that his hands are on a wheel and his left foot is on the brake, he did nothing to evade the contact with Grosjean, a smart thing that a smart person will do knowing that a F1 race isn't won in the first corner. Ofc what Grosjean did + Hamilton's "day dreaming instead of driving" had a disappointing result today.
I'm an adept of the saying "you make your own luck with your own hand", wished Hamilton had the presence of spirit to avoid Grosjean even if that meant some lost positions, without a doubt he could overcome it in the next laps.
Once again, I'm not blaming Hamilton for that incident, wished he would managed it better and be able to continue the race.

Yeah! The same goes for Alonso.

You would say the same for Kobayashi, poor guy ( I was expecting a brilliant race from him) got screwed by Grosjean/Hamilton's incident. All in all, wished Hamilton tried to evade Grosjean (without a doubt, he was able to avoid it but he didn't do it), the sad truth is that lots of drivers payed for that incident.
Thx GOD Alonso wasn't hurt, he was quite close to suffer a major injury.

You'd have a point if there was a run off like there like in other tracks. But with the deluge yesterday, moving off to the grass would have been suicidal and his left front was interlocked between Grosjean's front and rear. I'd say Lewis did as much as he could have possibly done to save his race until Grosjean decided to come at another round of real estate removal on his right. Go watch the replay and maybe write what could have been done differently?

EDIT: Well, one thing Lewis could have done differently would have been to choose the other rear wing! :hehe:
By scotty
I believe we already discussed my opinion of 'luck' in sports, dunno if you remember. :P

maybe it got lost along with my air of sarcasm. :wink:

I'm glad there's another race next week. Anyway, don't be all sour grapes cause I caught up to you in the pool. But the podium step is only big enough for one guy. :whip:

Meh, i made a poor error in the pool this week by not predicting that one stoppers could work, although Grosjean screwed me in that too cause the Sauber boys got taken out. :irked::hehe: At least Stonemonkey didn't extend his lead from me, i'm only aiming for the top you see :D

The fantasy F1 league though, i think i got some ok damage limitation in that thanks to Vettel's drive and bringing in Red Bull chassis, just waiting for them to update it to check though.
By Bladesman
What was done was done. But someone should remember to Hamilton also that his hands are on a wheel and his left foot is on the brake, he did nothing to evade the contact with Grosjean, a smart thing that a smart person will do knowing that a F1 race isn't won in the first corner. Ofc what Grosjean did + Hamilton's "day dreaming instead of driving" had a disappointing result today.
I'm an adept of the saying "you make your own luck with your own hand", wished Hamilton had the presence of spirit to avoid Grosjean even if that meant some lost positions, without a doubt he could overcome it in the next laps.
Once again, I'm not blaming Hamilton for that incident, wished he would managed it better and be able to continue the race.

You would say the same for Kobayashi, poor guy ( I was expecting a brilliant race from him) got screwed by Grosjean/Hamilton's incident. All in all, wished Hamilton tried to evade Grosjean (without a doubt, he was able to avoid it but he didn't do it), the sad truth is that lots of drivers payed for that incident.

You'd have a point if there was a run off like there like in other tracks. But with the deluge yesterday, moving off to the grass would have been suicidal and his left front was interlocked between Grosjean's front and rear. I'd say Lewis did as much as he could have possibly done to save his race until Grosjean decided to come at another round of real estate removal on his right. Go watch the replay and maybe write what could have been done differently?

EDIT: Well, one thing Lewis could have done differently would have been to choose the other rear wing! :hehe:

I agree with you he did as much as he could to avoid incident today.

If Hamilton had gone on the grass then we would of seen an even bigger accident.
By Nin-Chin
I think you guys are being too hard with Grosjean. Of course I think he did a very stupid action today, and he deserve this penalty, but i think it was no his intention to make this disaster on first corner. And don't forget other dangerous actions made by other drivers, for example, the Hungary Grand Prix in 2010, when Schumacher was near of push Barrichello into the walls, and he only recive a ten-place penalty for it.
He nearly flattened Alonso it was an extremly dangerous and obsurd positioning of the vehicle thats why he has a ban this was an accident worth much more damage and not good for an F1 driver to do!

Well, yes, he nearly flattened Alonso. Coulthard was also near to flatten Wurz in Australia 2007 and i don't remember any penalty to him. I think Grosjean was not well of do what he did, but there are many other F1 drivers that have made actions of this kind and they hasn't been as criticized.

Grosjean triggered an accident between mutiple drivers and the way he darted the car with no care whatsoever means the ban is put in place Grosjean was dangerous and caused a serious accident that affected multiple cars while Coulthards was an erroras Grosjean took out Hamilton who had nowhere to while he flew forward coz Hamilton was out of control which was his fault no doubt it was a completely unacceptable move which could have put in hospital plus that is no worthy of a formula 1 driver its worthy of cheap and silly rookies in feeder series
By zurich_allan

Indeed - Darriele I'm afraid you're completely wrong on this one. There are only two key facts that are relevant here - the first is that Hamilton was at the very edge of the track, and the second is that their wheels were interlocked. So had Hamilton braked, there would still have been contact with likely the same result. Literally the only way this could have been avoided is if Grosjean had moved a little to the left There is nothing else that could have avoided the incident. He'd likely still have made the overtake given that he was moving ahead of Hamilton, he just wouldn't have nearly killed the championship leader and taken out championship contenders in the process.

It is as simple as that.
By Revvenge
While I do feel Grosjean was at fault for the crash today, I think the FIA should not punish drivers so severely for collisions.

I started watching Formula One during the 1997 season and really got into watching it in 1998. I remember several major start crashes in those first few years I watched, and generally speaking no one was blamed for them, at least not by the stewards, much less penalized. Sometimes a driver would be put on probation, I think it's called, meaning if he would get in an incident of similar severity where he was to blame, he would get punished in some way, but generally speaking they fact they took themselves out would be seen as penalty enough.

Now, I do realize Formula One is a dangerous sport and crashes should not be taken lightly. However, crashing is a part of the sport. Villeneuve even said about his crash in the Eau Rouge in 1999 (I think he said the same in 1998 as well, same place) "That was my best crash ever". We've hardly had more than a damaged front nose after the start in recent years and while I don't think every race should have a start crash, I do feel it's a shame we go years without.

It seems that now collisions are banned from the sport and if one does happen, a finger has to be pointed and a driver slapped with some form of penalty. Now, in the case of Maldonado I think he's been in too many an incident and the penalties he gets don't seem to impress him. Even this weekend he was slapped with a 3 place grid penalty for blocking Hulkenberg in qualifying and then retired after wrecking his front wing on a Marussia (at least, that's what I gather from the pictures of the race, as the reason for his broken front wing weren't really shown on screen). He hasn't gotten a single point since his win in Barcelona, which for the largest part is because of collisions with others. On top of that he drives into people on purpose. I'd say a suspension for him would be right. However, a driver who hasn't really had much penalties lately (I think he maybe had one drive-through penalty for a collision, but I'm not sure) and definately didn't get a warning for his behaviour to get a ban for a start crash like this is a bit strange to me.

With actions like this I feel the FIA is taking a lot of excitement out of the racing, which it then has to fix by adding KERS, DRS and rapidly degrading tires. While those are nice and exciting things, it's a shame more natural excitement is disappearing.

Again, I think Grosjean was at fault for the crash, but something like a warning and a "you're banned if it happens again in the next 5 races" would've been better and I feel the FIA is killing part of the sport with these kinds of actions.
By Ferrari man 009
Last time this ban was handed it out it was given to Hakkinen after Hockenheim 94, and it taught him a lesson - lets hope it does the same to romain!

It was a stupid thing to do, and not the 1st time he has done this during the season, look at his record:

Australia - Collided with Maldonado on Lap 2 - Minor Incident
Malaysia - Hit Schumacher at Turn 4 on Lap 1 - Minor Incident
Monaco - Caused the pileup at the start by swerving into Schumacher - Major Incident
Germany - Involved in a minor 1st lap collision and damaged his front wing.
Spa - Major collision with Hamilton. - Major Incident

So that is 3 minor and 2 major incidents he has caused this season, so needs to miss a race for me.

On today's, Alonso is very lucky to be alive and able to race at Monza this weekend and as for the user who expects Alonso to be able to avoid that incident - can i advise you get a brain!!!

Whan Grosjean drives like that off the grid, what is the point in giving him a grid penalty, therefore giving him more cars to hit!

As for Maldonado - he should have been banned after Monaco, however, his incidents have been a lot less dangerous than Grosjean's this season and most of Maldonado's seem to be at low speed and clumsy/stupid.
By LewEngBridewell
Again, I think Grosjean was at fault for the crash, but something like a warning and a "you're banned if it happens again in the next 5 races" would've been better and I feel the FIA is killing part of the sport with these kinds of actions.

He has had numerous incidents this year though, especially at the start / first lap or so. Like what Ferrari man 009 says above. Maybe that gave weight to the punishment. Also, the nature of the accident was quite severe, and give or take a few inches, could've been much worse.
By geetface9

That was really just a racing incident that he didn't cause. Between maldonado's tire and the gravel, he had nowhere to go. He did go wide and give maldonado plenty of space to make the pass because he was clearly beat, so I don't think that one should be held against him.

I know everybody is upset about this. My 2 cents are that I think it was just an accident. Totally grosjean's fault. But it was a misjudgment and an accident... he had no desire to cause an accident that might have taken somebody's head off. So $#@! it let 'em race! The drivers know wtf they could be in for every time they get in the cockpit so everybody should shrug it off and queue monza :twisted:
Last edited by geetface9 on 02 Sep 12, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
By Bladesman

That was really just a racing incident that he didn't cause. Between maldonado's tire and the gravel, he had nowhere to go. He did go wide and give maldonado plenty of space to make the pass because he was clearly beat, so I don't think that one should be held against him.

Unlucky just to be racing against Maldonado in that incident I guess. :)
By Revvenge

Unlucky just to be racing against Maldonado in that incident I guess. :)

Indeed. While Grosjean maybe should've backed off a bit more, the fact is that Maldonado tends to just throw his car to the outside of the corner driving the racing line to the fullest, whether there's a driver there or not. Cars can't just disappear from where they are when you are, by the law, are allowed to drive there and like that.

He has had numerous incidents this year though, especially at the start / first lap or so. Like what Ferrari man 009 says above. Maybe that gave weight to the punishment. Also, the nature of the accident was quite severe, and give or take a few inches, could've been much worse.

If it gave weight to his punishment, he should've gotten more punishments before, showing an increasing severity of penalties as he continued to be in incidents or have gotten a warning and a probation saying he couldn't do it again or that ban would happen. In the incidents listed he generally only took himself out by trying too hard, without hurting anyone else, and we're talking about a young driver who are simply prone to crashes. A few years ago we'd shake our heads and the team would dump him if he kept costing them money in damage. Now everyone is shouting for penalties and bans. In Maldonado's case that might be justified because of the amount of drivers he takes out week in, week out, and the fact he sometimes crashed into people on purpose, but Grosjean just makes errors in judgement. I think this is too harsh a sentence.

Also, the crash itself was just freaky. It wasn't that fast or hard, but cars just started jumping in bad ways. Formula One cars simply have the danger in the fact the cockpit is open. That's why the sides of the cockpits were made higher again after the incident between Coulthard and Wurz a few years back where the Red Bull flew over the Williams after Coulthard made a completely idiotic move. No penalties were issued then, even with the danger and Wurz said it was just a racing incident and they weren't really racing for anything anyway. If something hitting a drivers head is such a worry, close the cockpits, don't ban everyone who causes an incident where it could've hit, especially since it didn't hit.

I'm not a big fan of the who "could've" argument anyway, since generally speaking the nature and physics of the crash meant it was close but could never hit. It's like in football someone says "it missed the goal by inches, it could've just as well gone in" while in reality, if it was on target, the goal keeper actually would've had it, because he was in place.
By racechick
On today's, Alonso is very lucky to be alive and able to race at Monza this weekend and as for the user who expects Alonso to be able to avoid that incident - can i advise you get a brain!!!

I think you'll find the user in question was being sarcastic, in response to another user who suggested hamilton should have avoided the accident. Apart from that I agree with much of what you said. :)

See our F1 related articles too!