FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By LewEngBridewell
Yup, saw the move, absolutely stupid. :nono:
By zurich_allan
I'm going against the grain here I'm afraid. The crash itself was Prost's fault, but because of the move Heidfeld made it was ALWAYS going to happen. That turn is incredibly tight, so Prost was always going to have to move back wide otherwise he would not have been able to turn without crashing into the opposite barrier even on full lock. You simply can't go up the outside on that corner. If he couldn't go up the inside, Heidfeld should not have tried to take the corner at all, it was a stupid move to begin with. Even if Nick had turned into the corner he was going to get T-boned by Prost because he would have had literally nowhere to go. So yes, the manner of the swerve was bad and caused the contact that ACTUALLY happened, but the move itself from Heidfeld meant that contact was INEVITABLE even if Prost hadn't made the swerve at that point.
By Frontrunner
I've only seen the incident on this youtube vid, Clearly that swerve towards Nick was out of order, As LiamC said, makes Maldonado look like a gentleman driver.

[youtube]M8Bzmu1ZIVs[/youtube]
By racechick
I think the Prost move showed his lack of experience. I thought for a minute when Heidfeld managed to wriggle out of his upside down car, that he was going to land one on Prost the way he marched after him.
By zurich_allan
The question I would ask is - if Prost hadn't swerved at that point and caused the crash - what were the possibilities as to what was going to happen at the corner? The answer is contact with every possible scenario, either with each other or with one of them into the barrier.
Last edited by zurich_allan on 13 Sep 14, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
By racechick
I'd have to watch it again to answer that. It looked to me as though he would have made the move stick if Prost hadn't swerved but I've only seen it once.
By zurich_allan
I'd have to watch it again to answer that. It looked to me as though he would have made the move stick if Prost hadn't swerved but I've only seen it once.

There is no way on earth he could have made it stick unless Prost stood on the brakes to bring the car to a halt as his car would have been on the inside, on the apex that Nick was going to turn into. If Prost hadn't swerved into Heidfeld when he did, Heidfeld was going to unquestionably turn in to Prost and cause a crash - the turn in question is just too tight for there to be any other possibility.

Again to summarise my position.

1. The crash that happened was 100% Prost's fault.

2. The move itself at the outside at that particular turn by Heidfeld was amateur in the extreme, totally inappropriate at the place he made it, and even if Prost had not caused the crash that happened, contact was nearly 100% certain at the apex. Heidfeld should have accepted that 2nd was all he was getting today.
By Ichabod

There is no way on earth he could have made it stick unless Prost stood on the brakes to bring the car to a halt as his car would have been on the inside, on the apex that Nick was going to turn into. If Prost hadn't swerved into Heidfeld when he did, Heidfeld was going to unquestionably turn in to Prost and cause a crash - the turn in question is just too tight for there to be any other possibility.

2. The move itself at the outside at that particular turn by Heidfeld was amateur in the extreme, totally inappropriate at the place he made it, and even if Prost had not caused the crash that happened, contact was nearly 100% certain at the apex. Heidfeld should have accepted that 2nd was all he was getting today.

I'm sorry zurich_allan but you need to watch it again and review
Heidfeld was on the inside trying a move that both Sam Bird and Karun Chandhok had successfully made, Prost just rammed Him refusing to loose at the last corner.
By F2004
LOLZ, watched the formation lap, funnier than the Simpsons.
By zurich_allan

I'm sorry zurich_allan but you need to watch it again and review
Heidfeld was on the inside trying a move that both Sam Bird and Karun Chandhok had successfully made, Prost just rammed Him refusing to loose at the last corner.

Heidfeld was carrying much too much speed to pull off the same move they did - as I said, he was relying on Prost jumping on the brakes or vanishing into thin air - neither of which was going to happen. Again - crash itself was clearly Prost's fault, but the move itself, the way it was being executed by Heidfeld was amateur - I've watched it at least 50 times from every angle and my opinion isn't changing.
By Hammer278
Nick Heidfeld belongs in F1...not FE....The guy is a top notch racing driver, though not the fastest.
By Jabberwocky
Quick Nick has had a few bites of the F1 apple though.

Sent using NCC-1701
By geetface9
It didn't look to me from the onboard like prost knew he was that close, or at least expected heidfeld to react quicker :confused: Silly move but I'm kind of thinking it was just a racing incident

See our F1 related articles too!