FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By What's Burning?
But another theory i heard was that the Lotus thing is a passive f-duct - same as Mercedes tested last year as you say... nothing in the rules against that, yet, it probably takes much more time, effort and money to R&D something like that!

That's what I'd heard as well that is stalls the bottom element when the DRS is enabled and the upper element is set to low drag.
By atommo
Why can't they just have affixed wings like they used to? Then teams can choose if they want stability or speed or a mixture. I don't get it... they banned active suspension because they claimed it was a driver aid, yet DRS is not seen as an aid? >_> There are too many buttons/switches IMO. The FIA banned things in the past because they wanted the driver to do most of the racing, yet it seems they've strayed off their planned route as now the type of car ultimately depends on where you're likely to come. Active suspension was a constant thing, DRS is not. [I don't mind KERS as much as its a step in the right direction for sustainable technology] If everyone had active suspension, the only thing that would have changed is the speeds the cars could go around corners which would've overall made the sport more exciting [since it increases the chances for overtakes on the corners], but no, you can't go round corners faster but you can go down straights faster... And what enables that is not constant so really it is just as much/more of an aid than the active suspension. [Since the driver chooses when/when not to use it and it allows the car to perform better in speed]
By darwin dali
Why can't they just have affixed wings like they used to? Then teams can choose if they want stability or speed or a mixture. I don't get it... they banned active suspension because they claimed it was a driver aid, yet DRS is not seen as an aid? >_> There are too many buttons/switches IMO. The FIA banned things in the past because they wanted the driver to do most of the racing, yet it seems they've strayed off their planned route as now the type of car ultimately depends on where you're likely to come. Active suspension was a constant thing, DRS is not. [I don't mind KERS as much as its a step in the right direction for sustainable technology] If everyone had active suspension, the only thing that would have changed is the speeds the cars could go around corners which would've overall made the sport more exciting [since it increases the chances for overtakes on the corners], but no, you can't go round corners faster but you can go down straights faster... And what enables that is not constant so really it is just as much/more of an aid than the active suspension. [Since the driver chooses when/when not to use it and it allows the car to perform better in speed]

The DRS was introduced to overcome the difficulty to overtake (mainly due to dirty air coming from the car in front). It has a specific and narrowly defined purpose and can't really be compared to active suspensions and such.
By andrew
It was a quick fix rather than addressing the actual problems. Sort of plastering over the cracks.

See our F1 related articles too!