FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By MACH141
for the last years Mclaren alwayes get the best result for the seond half of the season. so i think they have enough time to follow the best three. Im still confident that they can turn off the table for there side.

For this race they didntt get enough time to test the upgrades becouse of the heavy rain, so hopefully fo the next race we will see somthing deference.
By CookinFlat6
What a waste of a day!

Mclaren have managed to produce a car that is now 4th or 5th best. Jenson was happy with the result as he can now point to the car been the reason for his recent failure, Whitmarsh is happy because Button came close behind Lewis and scored a point, Sam is happy because Red Bull didnt get a one two as he declared that Red bulls pace was just specific to Valencia.

Bunch of losers
By What's Burning?
McLaren is having the year Lewis had last year.
By vaptin
Does anyone want to post some evidence or reasoning regarding Mclaren intentionally slowing down or otherwise hindering themselves to favour Button?

----

Last race was pretty poor by their standards though, first time their car can be said to be lacking in outright pace.

They're not down and out of it yet, just depends on what upgrades they have planned for their car.
By What's Burning?
Does anyone want to post some evidence or reasoning regarding Mclaren intentionally slowing down or otherwise hindering themselves to favour Button?

It's hyperbole.
By Bladesman
Does anyone perhaps think the car was set up for wet conditions?

Having said that, the other cars likely were too, and obviously trounced mclaren, so even if it rained would we have seen a similar result as today's race in the dry?

I reckon we would of seen a similar a result had it rained.

I am going to assume most of the grid went for a race setup that was adaptable to rain as it was forecast that there might of been some rain at 2pm. So even with a similar setup to the other cars McLaren would of still finished 8th or so.
By vaptin

It's hyperbole.

That'll speed up the car for sure, good luck getting it allowed - do you have any idea how much those things cost? Best place a large bet on a young racer whose never even finished but shown exceptional promise, Grosjean? He just got married though, bit harsh to risk selling him into slavery.

[hpyerdrive - The Phantom Menace as my jokes don't usually work].
By CookinFlat6

Hamilton has spoken about seeing all the teams top engineers concentrating on dissecting his data lap by lap to try help special needs Jenson. This cannot have helped McLaren in the development race

simples
By Bladesman

Hamilton has spoken about seeing all the teams top engineers concentrating on dissecting his data lap by lap to try help special needs Jenson. This cannot have helped McLaren in the development race

simples

Button copied Hamilton's setup in Valencia mind you it made no difference to Buttons race.
By LewEngBridewell
I'm very disappointed with the performance of the McLaren today. Things didn't seem too bad in the early stages, but race pace seems to be really lacking at the moment.

However, McLaren don't stay down for long. I just wish they didn't find themselves "down" in the first place, which is why the race in Melbourne was so promising... :confused:
By What's Burning?
They've squandered points when they did have the strongest car, they wouldn't be in such a catch up mode now. Clearly they're the fourth fastest car on the grid... maybe fifth after Merc even if they didn't have Lewis driving for them.
By LewEngBridewell
They've squandered points when they did have the strongest car, they wouldn't be in such a catch up mode now. Clearly they're the fourth fastest car on the grid... maybe fifth after Merc even if they didn't have Lewis driving for them.

It's true that the team fatally failed to take advantage of their early season pace. Such promise for this year as well. :nono:
By darwin dali
Oh you guys sound like crotchety doomsayers :hehe:
By scotty
Does anyone perhaps think the car was set up for wet conditions?

Having said that, the other cars likely were too, and obviously trounced mclaren, so even if it rained would we have seen a similar result as today's race in the dry?

Gary Anderson said he saw different front wing levels on Hamilton and Button's cars on the grid. So maybe they split the strategy there. Or maybe it was just a fluke and that's how each driver went on general setup. Certainly i have heard on several occasions that true wet setups don't really exist anymore and every car just has to run an optimised setup cause it tends to work in all conditions anyway. That might be wrong but i've heard a couple of drivers, team folk etc mention it in recent years.

Either way Macca had nothing today - Button needed problems for several others just to get one solitary point and Hamilton more or less completely inconspicuous in 8th place.

Tyre problems i suspect - whoever got that hard compound working the best was sorted, hence why Ferrari were very quick, generally speaking.

Even though it is two different sub teams that work in each of those areas....? :doh::hehe:
By stonemonkey
They're gonna bounce back.

See our F1 related articles too!