FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By KRIMSON
I think people have short memories how aggresives moves did hamilton try last year that resulted in contact even with his teammate & with massa pretty sure he spun webber in canada too.At the end of the day lewis didnt leave him enough room to get round the corner with out having to completly cutting the corner or to make contact
By bud
Sorry Krimson Lewis didn't have to give him Room, the fact Maldanado cut the corner resulting in contact puts 100% blame on Pastor.
By Fluffy
I think people have short memories how aggresives moves did hamilton try last year that resulted in contact even with his teammate & with massa pretty sure he spun webber in canada too.At the end of the day lewis didnt leave him enough room to get round the corner with out having to completly cutting the corner or to make contact

QFT Lewis has done a lot of stupid things in his career. And he did have to yield as Maldonado was more than 3/4 level with him.
By Ichabod

pushing a car wide is not against the rules (ask Maldonaldo he did the same to Kimi in turn 2 and Webber in the last corner)
rejoining the track in a dangerous manner is this is why he got the penalty
By What's Burning?

QFT Lewis has done a lot of stupid things in his career. And he did have to yield as Maldonado was more than 3/4 level with him.

I'm a Lewis supporter and after watching the race I saw it only as a racing incident, but guess what? The stewards disagree, and they see it differently, ask yourself why. So case closed on that avenue of argument yes?
By Jabberwocky
I am sure that all the stewards including Mika Salo know the rules inside and out and have a lot more info than the rest of us.

Personally I think it was a racing incident.

Track safety also caused it to happen. If off track was grass or a gravel patch. Maldonado would not of been anywhere near the side of Lewis
By scotty
It was a stupid incident that could so easily have been avoided. But i guess this sort of thing is always possible with two impulsive racers head to head on track. Using the benefit of hindsight Maldonado should have waited for another opportunity cause there was no way Hamilton could have held him off, and equally Hamilton could have known that he was fighting a lost cause and not wasted too much time fighting off the inevitable. Either action would have avoided this collision and both drivers would be enjoying a huge handful of points from the race. But i guess neither driver's mentality is like that in the heat of the moment at such a critical point of the race, which is just the way it is. Sometimes that helps them, sometimes it doesn't.

End of the day Maldonado did cause the avoidable collision, and subsequently got punished under the letter of the regulations, what more can you ask for? Case closed, let's move on.
By What's Burning?
I think part of any decision comes down to if a driver has control of a given situation. Can that driver, the attacker or the defender make a different choice given the situation to avoid the incident. If the answer is yes, I see it as an incident, if the answer is no then I'm more inclined to want a penalty applied to the clearly offending driver or just call it an accident It's not clear. But it generally is how I go about making up my mind.

Like Jabber says, the rules are then applied to that common sense or gut reaction therefore your mileage may vary.

It did spice things up didn't it?
By LRW

Wrong. On the first corner, Hamilton had the racing line. Under the rules, he has NO reason the yeild (you only need to give a cars width, when changing direciton). On the second corner, Maldonado left the circuit and came back on at in an unsafe manner (which is what he was ulitmately punished for.

[youtube]zLA5_ZjdBTI[/youtube]

Applicable rules:

20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.
Should a car leave the track the driver may rejoin, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage.
A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.
20.3 More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
By Hansy
He's getting a reputation. And it will bite him in the arse if he keeps it up. Which is a shame, because it's starting to overshadow his success in Catalunya. :thumbdown:

I think it's the other way around - he was already getting a reputation, but the win in Catalunya overshadowed it for a while.

That said, I think people are extremely overreacting. Did anyone ask for a race ban because of his incident with Rosberg in Australia? How is this any different? It was a rushed overtaking maneuver that ended badly, nothing else.
By racechick
I think the big difference is that prior to this incident Maldonado has made two moves on other drivers that have not been racing incidents, they have been deliberate attempts to hit the other car out of,what? pique? temper?, not even to gain a place, one wasnt even in a race. For me that forfeits maldonado getting any benefit of the doubt. he needs to be taught a lesson , he should have received a race ban for the second of the previous two incidents, if not then he should have been driving under a caution and the race bad activated the next time he took someone off...which was Sunday.
By Fluffy

Wrong. On the first corner, Hamilton had the racing line. Under the rules, he has NO reason the yeild (you only need to give a cars width, when changing direciton). On the second corner, Maldonado left the circuit and came back on at in an unsafe manner (which is what he was ulitmately punished for.

[youtube]zLA5_ZjdBTI[/youtube]

Applicable rules:

20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.
Should a car leave the track the driver may rejoin, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage.
A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.
20.3 More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.

My opinion hasnt changed. He forced him off the road and then expects him to back off, he should have left more room for the corner.
By Injen
Who cares,it's done and finish like Lewis said,it's racing and you move on.If the press and the obvious Lewis haters think this is the turning poing and Lewis is going to keep DNFs from here on in,then it's wishful thinking lol.

Jenson crashes twice and we don't hear a peep from the media or the obvious Lewis haters.

It's yesterdays news,roll on silverstone and an epic race by Lewis.

The real talking point for Mclaren is how come enson managed to only finish one place ahead of where he started but Mark Webber started 18th and ended up 4th,that's what Martin and the Lewis witch hunt media should be talking about. :rofl:
By Fluffy
I'm not a lewis hater, just don't like his whinging in the past.
By vaptin
Jenson's crash with Narian was talked about by the BBC, and on here quite a bit, can't remember Jenson's other crash, he hit Hekki in Monaco I think?

See our F1 related articles too!