FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

I wonder what's going on with Senna though, he's quite a way behind.

Maybe he just isn't very good; just because he carries the famous Senna name doesn't make him a great driver; he has been disappointing in what is a half decent car!

Can you imagine if he did in Interlagos what Maldonado did in Spain? You'd be able to hear the crowd here in the UK! :eek:

Doubt it'll happen; the gulf between Maldonado and Senna is huge; everyone is slating Jenson for his poor performances, but no-one has batted an eyelid to Senna's woes!

Indeed, but one has to take into account that Jenson has the weight of being a world champion, driving a championship-contending car and that he has a fiercely popular and successful team-mate. Furthermore, Maldonado spoils his own successes by acting the fool far too often.

I suppose it's similar to the fact no-one notices how Pedro de la Rosa has steam-rollered Karthikeyan this season.
By f1ea
Cut Maldonado some slack. He's shown good pace and able to pull it up under pressure. More discipline, less impulsiveness... should do it.

But those two are things people criticise about Lewis also. Them two are quite similar... except Lewis is much more consistent. Going for gaps and defending like there's no tomorrow are things you hear about Lewis all the time as well.

So yea, i'm surprised Lewis' fans are the most critical of Maldonado! should be Button's fans going all ballistic.
By What's Burning?
Cut Maldonado some slack. He's shown good pace and able to pull it up under pressure. More discipline, less impulsiveness... should do it.

But those two are things people criticise about Lewis also. Them two are quite similar... except Lewis is much more consistent. Going for gaps and defending like there's no tomorrow are things you hear about Lewis all the time as well.

So yea, i'm surprised Lewis' fans are the most critical of Maldonado! should be Button's fans going all ballistic.

You show me the clip of the last time Lewis rammed into another drivers car in practice or after qualifying.... I'll wait.

No the fact that they are both aggressive does not an equivalency make.
By Hammer278
Yeah, I'll wait too.

Ridiculous post...comparing a driver who has been involved in racing incidents, with a psycho who crashes people out of spite! :rolleyes:
I wonder what's going on with Senna though, he's quite a way behind.

Maybe he just isn't very good; just because he carries the famous Senna name doesn't make him a great driver; he has been disappointing in what is a half decent car!

Can you imagine if he did in Interlagos what Maldonado did in Spain? You'd be able to hear the crowd here in the UK! :eek:

Doubt it'll happen; the gulf between Maldonado and Senna is huge; everyone is slating Jenson for his poor performances, but no-one has batted an eyelid to Senna's woes!

Don't agree. Senna's problem, as with Schumacher's last year, is mainly in qualifying - his race pace doesn't tend to be bad. He's scored points four times in eight races (admittedly with the last race being a gift!), compared to Maldonados two points scoring races. It's just that a race win being worth 25 points now artificially makes differences in points look huge when a couple of years ago it wouldn't be the case. Of Senna's three dnf's - once he was driven into by Massa, once he was driven into by Schumacher (whilst in the points), and once his brakes failed and he retired. His drive through the field in Malaysia was world class, and still only 6 races ago, but SOME F1 fans have very short memories - I always forget that.

If this were 2009 their points would currently be: Maldonado - 11, Senna - 5. Hardly a gulf... in fact, surpassable with ONE decent result. The hard facts are these, and are inarguable.

Maldonado could and should have scored many more points this season so far, and hasn't through his own errors, but the hard fact is that he hasn't yet, and season is nearly half way through. And you simply CAN'T discount that Maldonado was with the team last year and all the way through development of this year's car. Senna wasn't. He joined mid-way through pre-season. Then in most races has been getting two hours less setup time through not being in FP1. These are factors that CAN'T be ignored by anyone who truly knows any depth of the ins and outs of F1 development and setup. This is likely also the reason that Fank Williams has publicly come out and said he's very happy with how Senna has performed so far.

Different styles of drivers, but I personally don't see much between them, for different reasons. I like them both as they are a good contrast of styles and personalities. In fact I actually think they're my favourite pairing on the grid at the moment. A bit more luck and an even playing field with Senna, and a bit more of a cool head from Maldonado and the future is bright for Williams and both drivers.
By racechick
Agree that Senna is not doing badly, not as well as I'd hoped but its mainly quali.

Maldonado is nothing like Lewis. Lewis always fights fairly and leaves room. Im not saying he never makes mistakes or misjudgements but he fights fair, Maldonado does not. They're not alike at all.
By f1ea
Lewis fans are funny.

So, you guys think I will go out of my way and show clips of Hamilton rear ending and/ramming other cars?? I know there is. Be it practice, race, Q or whatever. But the matter at hand is not pointlessly arguing about how many times LH has crashed into someone. I'm not really criticising Lewis, i'm just making fun of his fans ;)

The fact of the matter is very similar traits you guys are hammering about Maldonado are things that other people have criticised about Lewis. If you make the jump to saying people are calling Maldonado and Lewis EQUAL then there's pretty little worth in explaining.

One season its Massa, another the FIA, the other Webber or even Whitmarsh; this season is Maldonado...... But there's always a villain.
By What's Burning?
Don't be moving the goal posts... you made a comparison and I'm merely saying it's an unfair comparison. A crash is not the same as an intentional assault on another driver with your car merely for a vengeful purpose. One example of that is bad enough, the guy has done it twice and I'm sure we haven't seen the last.

Defend his driving, if you like his attitude, his skill, his whatever... it's your right. But you can't deny (while keeping a straight face that is) that the guy has a vindictive anger problem. That's why I personally can't wait till someone coldcocks him in the jaw making him swallow a handful of his braces.
By Hammer278
Hell yeah, where's Montoya when you need him. :hehe:
By f1ea
Hell yeah, where's Montoya when you need him. :hehe:

Ahahaha time to bring him back from sumo wrestling :)
By racechick
Oh boy would Montoya sort out that :censored: !!
By andrew
He'd probably eat him. :hehe:

EDIT - Just realised that this was my 6000th post and it was celebrated by a Montoya joke. :thumbup:
Last edited by andrew on 30 Jun 12, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
By vaptin

:rofl:

That was brave.

----

I wonder what will happen if Maldonaldo has an incident with Scumacher,
[youtube]TeAuQ2Xem4Q[/youtube]

DC mentions it every race with the BBC.
By andrew

:rofl:

That was brave.

----

I wonder what will happen if Maldonaldo has an incident with Scumacher,
[youtube]TeAuQ2Xem4Q[/youtube]

DC mentions it every race with the BBC.

It's ok, Ron Dennis isn't around to tell him to slow down.... :twisted::whip:

The Schumacher of these days would probably just shake his head and walk away.

See our F1 related articles too!