FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss equipment & technique - show-off your photography here!
I don't know how many people on here are into photography, but I have a few questions about filters. Some of you may know that I recently purchases a Canon EOS T3 (1100D in Europe) DLSR and want to expand my photography with filters and such. I have read about polarising filters and how they can reduce reflections on glass, water and make clouds/sky look more vibrant. I have two cheap filters [non-branded] UV and CPL filters which seem to do very little, but I wasn't expecting them to do much as they were given away free with a 'flower' lens hood that I purchased. My question is; what brand of filters would you recommend? I have looked at Tiffen (UV, CPL & 812 Color warming pack), which seems to offer the best value, at $35, but have also read a lot of people recommending B+W filters, but these retail for $90+ each and the RRP is over $200 a piece! I also have Photoshop CS4 and know it very well, so do I need filters at all?

Although I'm not new to photography, I am new to Digital SLR photography, so any advice that anyone can give me will be appreciated!
When talking digital, it's so easy to correct things in Photoshop that a "filter" is really a moot point almost. A good skylight 1A filter does little to change the image but it does cut some of the blue haze in the distance. The real reason for a filter is to protect your lens which can sometimes cost 3X what you paid for the camera body.

A polarizing filter is a good investment but don't skimp. My advise, be patient and buy one on eBay you can even come across Nikon and BW from folks at estate sales cleaning out old 35mm hardware which you can't even give away currently.
The cheapo UV filter seems to do nothing at all but it does not hinder the quality of the lens either, so I may just use that to protect the lens. I'm looking to get a Canon EF-S 55mm - 250mm IS II lens to compliment my 18mm - 55mm IS lens, which I will get on ebay, not paying $300 retail when I can pick one up brand new on ebay for $170 plus free shipping! I do want to get a decent polarizing filter to reduce glare and reflections in glass/water, ideally I'd like to spend less that $50 on the CPL filter. But thanks for the advice, appreciated muchly :)
You're right about photoshop WB but I would still recommend a polarizing filter.

That is what I intend to do; removing reflections in water and glass is much harder to do in Photoshop, so being able to achieve the effect in real=time would be preferable!
You're right about photoshop WB but I would still recommend a polarizing filter.

Absolutely. A polarizing filter can yield some good results, when used correctly. I also recommend a good quality UV to be used as a lens protector. It is cheaper to replace a scratched filter, than a damaged lens. 8-)
Is contemplating buying a fuji film s4300

Don't do it... rid yourself of pressing the button and taking a picture of what happens a second or two later. An SLR can be had for not much more than that.
Is contemplating buying a fuji film s4300

Don't do it... rid yourself of pressing the button and taking a picture of what happens a second or two later. An SLR can be had for not much more than that.

I bought a S4300 for my wife and it works reasonably well, not as good as my DSLR but certainly no slouch in shutter reaction when taking single shots, not so great at rapid fire shooting.
80 quid. Not sure you can get a dSLR for that price

Maybe you could put a downpayment on a DSLR?...

But as I said, the S4300 is a reasonable camera, even better for £80, I paid $179 for it in the US about a year ago.
I agree. But I will deal with it for the price

Or you can use the pretty decent camera on the Samsung Note II you've already got in hand.

See our F1 related articles too!