FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
FOM is probably happy to let this pass to make the cars equally competitive.

Lets see the edge they get in the first race. If it is 1-2 dominant sweep then expect maybe F1 to get involved and maybe say this isn't fair. They want a competitive season and the last race to matter.
Storm in a tea cup I think....

Yes it works, but I don't think its a game changer. The FIA have declared it legal for now, so the others have to get on with it.

The bigger issue is the dodgy exhaust routing on the Red Bulls etc. It is obvious that they are trying to get the flow to replicate the EBD. ( Note: The RB's were the only cars to have a funny sounding 'gargle' to the exhaust note at part throttle, may be linked to this?????).
But, the exhaust complies dimensionally to the regs, so the others will have to come up with their own solution now. That's the way motor racing has always been. You can't ban something because it is clever interpretation, although the F-duct and mass dampers are 2 glaring anomolies in my opinion.....
I findit funny Horners doing a lot of the talking.

On one hand it is but on the other it could be looked at as payback time over floppy front wings. Going by what Ross Brawn says, there are a few teams whinging.
The solution is to outlaw DRS and bring back real passing in the process.
I findit funny Horners doing a lot of the talking.

Maybe he's trying to get his own back, I read somewhere that Merc waited until late in the testing season to report an engine loophole to the FIA and that RB might've been making use of the loophole for some form of overrun and then when the loophole was closed had to rush out the new parts at the end of testing which didn't really work and has left RB behind.
Whether or not any of that's close to the truth I have no idea but there were some vids from testing that suggested RB were doing something off throttle that hasn't been noticable in the race weekends.
It's officially legal now!

ESPNF1:

Lotus has had its formal protest against the controversial Mercedes DRS system rejected by the FIA.

After a number of teams had been awaiting clarity on the innovative system which has seen Mercedes extremely competitive in qualifying when DRS usage is not limited, Lotus lodged an official protest on Thursday. A note from the clerk of the course read:

"A protest has been lodged by Lotus F1 team concerning the Technical Delegate's scrutineering report (Document 5) of today's date regarding cars 7&8 relating to their conformity with Article 3.15 of the FIA F1 Technical Regulations.

"Accordingly a hearing of the parties concerned (namely Lotus F1 Team and Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team) is convened for 17.15 today Thursday April 12th 2012."

The article in question in the technical regulations states that "with the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.18, any car system, device or procedure which uses, or is suspected of using, driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited."

The FIA's Charlie Whiting had previously said he believes it to be completely legal, and following the Lotus protest the stewards unanimously agreed with Whiting's view. The result means that Mercedes can continue using the DRS system this weekend, while Lotus has the right to appeal.

It's perfectly legal so time to move on now.
By bud
(v) The Mercedes design does appear to alter the aerodynamic characteristics of the car by reducing the drag, however this is consistent with the intent of the regulations.

This bit here is telling for those who argue its against the spirit of the rules.
(v) The Mercedes design does appear to alter the aerodynamic characteristics of the car by reducing the drag, however this is consistent with the intent of the regulations.

This bit here is telling for those who argue its against the spirit of the rules.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11577

See our F1 related articles too!