FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Hamilton reeled off his fourth consecutive podium position since his debut in Australia, finishing 6.7sec behind Massa and 10.6sec ahead of teammate and local hero, Spain's double champion, Fernando Alonso.

This was a remarkable achievement for anyone, but particularly notable for a rookie who is the first driver of Afro-Caribbean descent to race in Formula One.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 70,00.html

Oh well, considering the source (Foxsports in Australia), it shouldn't come as a surprise. :roll::roll::roll:
By 7UpJordan
I'm surprised he wasn't called a "black pom" if the article was at all racist.
By welshie
Call me a racist, but I don't see anything wrong, other than a sentence that could have been worded slightly better.
By darwin dali
So, explain to me why being the 'first driver of Afro-Caribbean descent to race in Formula One' makes it 'particularly notable'? What does his skin color have to do with his performance? Nothing! So why go there in this context and this way? The way it's stated it basically sends the following message: "Hey, good on you - we didn't expect this from a black dude since we all know you folks are underachievers in technical sports!"
By welshie
Because I don't believe it was written in that context. I've already stated it's badly worded, but nothing else. There is nothing more annoying than people who get offended on other peoples behalf
By Jens
So, explain to me why being the 'first driver of Afro-Caribbean descent to race in Formula One' makes it 'particularly notable'? What does his skin color have to do with his performance? Nothing! So why go there in this context and this way? The way it's stated it basically sends the following message: "Hey, good on you - we didn't expect this from a black dude since we all know you folks are underachievers in technical sports!"

I don't think you understand racism. That's not a racist comment. It might not seem relevant, but it's not racist. It's intention is the opposite, but like Welshie said, it could be worded better
By darwin dali
I don't think you understand latent racism.
And I don't care about the intention - it's the wording that sends out a message which in this day and age has no place.
Just imagine the following comment on German TV:
This was a remarkable achievement for anyone, but particularly notable for a rookie who is the first Jewish driver to race in Formula One.
By welshie
haha no your right, you don't care about the intention, you just want something to shout about!
By darwin dali
No, I just think they should be more careful in their choice of words - but Fox is not likely to change their ways.
By welshie
Ok, so we're agreed, the words were chosen badly
By darwin dali
Yes, but the underlying racism facilitated this choice.
By Jens
Jeez, it's you causing the problem by caring too much. Political correctness is killing society - if it actually offends the person at whom it's directed and/or the majority of his/her people, get angry, but assuming its offensive just because of an abstract interpretation is stupid.

Bah bah rainbow sheep, have you any wool?
By welshie
Jeez, it's you causing the problem by caring too much. Political correctness is killing society - if it actually offends the person at whom it's directed and/or the majority of his/her people, get angry, but assuming its offensive just because of an abstract interpretation is stupid.

Bah bah rainbow sheep, have you any wool?

Thats the exact thing that I was going to say!!
By bud
youre a classic dd
they said the same thing about tiger
By Boxofwonders

I don't think you understand racism. That's not a racist comment. It might not seem relevant, but it's not racist. It's intention is the opposite, but like Welshie said, it could be worded better

That was racism as it discriminated on the basis of race for no practical reason. However not all racism is necessarily bad, even though that sentence was not meant to be derogatory in any way. To ignore racial differences would be to ignore reality. He is the first black driver to have any impact on the sport and if you line up all the current drivers, Lewis stands out. I agree, his skin colour had nothing to do with his performance, but it does make him more journalistically appealing.

See our F1 related articles too!