FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By racechick
I hate Bernie!! The little money grabbing midget!! Whose gonna pay £48 a race.

How would this work. Put a satelite dish on your house, point it at a foreign station(France or Germany). then listen to the 5 live commentary.. What do you think? is it possible? I know it wont be as good as BBC but it would be live and it would save paying sky anything.
By Denthúl

How would this work. Put a satelite dish on your house, point it at a foreign station(France or Germany). then listen to the 5 live commentary.. What do you think? is it possible? I know it wont be as good as BBC but it would be live and it would save paying sky anything.

It's possible, but more awkward. You might be better off just trying to stream from one of the other English-speaking countries over the 'net, if you can.
By Crawf

So thats like $75 bucks a race in Australian Money! Yikes! Thats utter bullpoo! Horrific! What a disgrace! Will kill F1 off in Britain.
By andrew

Similar to what I do at the moment. Have BBC1 on mute and listen to Radio 5's far superior, informed and much less biased non-German drvier bashing commentary.

There is no point in only watching half a season. Unless my financial situation improves and I can get a broadband package with no limits then I doubt I will be tuningin to F1.

Sad to say but this is where the BBC has left me. Their dily-dalying and gum bumping has forced MrE's hand it seems and we are left with this mess. Sky were the only realistic alternative as they want F1, other free to view UK broadcasters didn't speak up in time. If you want someone to blame for this mess, blame the BBC and the BBC only.
By racechick

Similar to what I do at the moment. Have BBC1 on mute and listen to Radio 5's far superior, informed and much less biased non-German drvier bashing commentary.

There is no point in only watching half a season. Unless my financial situation improves and I can get a broadband package with no limits then I doubt I will be tuningin to F1.

Sad to say but this is where the BBC has left me. Their dily-dalying and gum bumping has forced MrE's hand it seems and we are left with this mess. Sky were the only realistic alternative as they want F1, other free to view UK broadcasters didn't speak up in time. If you want someone to blame for this mess, blame the BBC and the BBC only.

They cant afford the huge demand to show it. And I think the bbc are pretty fair in their commentary.
By andrew

They cant afford the huge demand to show it. And I think the bbc are pretty fair in their commentary.

They can if they make cutbacks on BBC 3 and BBC 4 which get a tiny amount of viewings. Streamlining various sports events which have far too many presentors. As far as I know, the amount MrE was asking for was not unreasonable if you look at the cost of other sports shown on the BBC.

Nevermind, there will be pleanty of cash for the Olympics, football, horse jumping and golf.
By F1IsInMyBlood
Also the BBC contract was due to expire AFTER THE 2013 Season, so why does this new deal start next year?

After 2013 I can only guess it goes 100% to Sky, then full Pay Per View. Yet again F1 Shoots itself in the foot, they have get great racing then decide they will make it so less people will watch it.

The BBC claim they can't afford it, that is complete :bs: if they stopped wasting money sending so many people to cover events, an example being the London Olympics Marking 1 year to go in London the other day, they sent 208 People to cover that according to reports, they had Presenters their from every region aswell as main News Presenters, Radio Presenters, talk about overkill and waste, and they wonder why they are short of money.
By andrew
Just seen on the lunchtime news that the costs for the BBC break down as follows:

Cost to air 24 races = £40 - £50 million
Last years there were around 3.6 million viewers per race
Cost per race er viewer was around £1.50!

I bet the football, olympics, golf and horsey crud is a hell of a lot more expensive per event per viewer.

2012 - 2018 is a hell of a long time for this deal.

Going backl to the teams, I guess they will be pretty happy. There will be more cash floating about from Sky's paying viewers plus cash fromthe BBC for half the races. Their getting their cake and eating it. I can't see FOTA objecting at all.

The BBC claim they can't afford it, that is complete :bs: if they stopped wasting money sending so many people to cover events, an example being the London Olympics Marking 1 year to go in London the other day, they sent 208 People to cover that according to reports, they had Presenters their from every region aswell as main News Presenters, Radio Presenters, talk about overkill and waste, and they wonder why they are short of money.

Bang on! :clap: Their is money for somethings but not others. Good old BBC.
By icowden
I wonder who gets to decide WHICH races the BBC can broadcast? Sky would obviously prefer that the Beeb broadcast all non peak time races. Anyone with any sanity however will want the beeb to be broadcasting the first, last and all peak time races.

Good that we can watch all of the races live on the Radio though... well maybe "watch" is the wrong word here...

The other thing that springs to mind is this:-

The BBC's director of sport, Barbara Slater, would only say that the savings were "genuinely significant", but it is understood that the corporation is paying about a third less per year – or around £33m.

Now I am no expert mathematician but 50,000,000 to screen 20 races = £2,500,000 per race. This is an agreement the BBC had until 2013. Under the new deal which is "saving money" they get to pay 33,000,000 to screen 10 races = £3,300,000 per race. So in order to "save" money, the Beeb is now paying 33% more per race than it was originally paying to screen the races!
By cap-dude
Awful news. Dreadful, awful, worst F1 news I've ever heard.

Even worse, whats gonna happen Brundle and Coulthard. I love the commentary. I can't imagine Sky will ever find two people better for the job. Which is annoying, because now we'll only get that wonderful commentary for half the races. The rest we'll have something half-assed.

Basically we all face the prospect of watching some great bbc coverage for the half the year. The rest it'll be blurry internet streaming sites, and mediocre commentary.

I think the sky sports coverage is more like £20 per race really. But even so. I wouldn't pay £20 to watch a film in the cinema. It's absurd.
By ha2bar
I think that Bernie and the F1 teams should intervene and take the coverage away from BBC and let another
terrestial broadcaster have the contract, that would be the decent thing to do. I pay my BBC licence fee, I do not have
Sky and cannot afford it. It is the only sport I watch. I don't intend to give Mr Murdoch even more
profits than the 1billion they made last year.
By McGreeb
This is a disgrace, if your only going to show half the races on the BBC you may as well not show any, the BBC's coverage over the past few years has been empecable and I doubt even if I got sky that there coverage could match it. (remeber there attempt at F1 PPV a while back?)
By Ichabod
This is a disgrace, if your only going to show half the races on the BBC you may as well not show any, the BBC's coverage over the past few years has been empecable and I doubt even if I got sky that there coverage could match it. (remeber there attempt at F1 PPV a while back?)

Not even half the races only Silverstone & Monza the rest will be highlights
I feel very letdown by the BBC
By F1IsInMyBlood
From Autosport:

The big news of the day is that, from 2012, half the Formula 1 calendar will be taken off free-to-air television. All grands prix, qualifying and practice sessions will be broadcast on pay channel Sky Sports, but only half the races will be shown free-to-air on the BBC, including the British and Monaco GPs. The Beeb will also continue to show highlights of all races, while Radio 5 Live will have live commentary on all rounds.

The news has been greeted with some degree of shock and has prompted Formula 1 teams to seek clarification from Bernie Ecclestone on the new deal. McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "I don't think anyone should be immediately reacting to say this is good, bad, or indifferent. What we need to understand is whether the large audience we currently enjoy will be maintained."

As the news story progressed through this morning, it also emerged that Sky Sports will not be showing advertisements during the races - limiting them to pre and post-race shows only. For the absolute latest on this story, and to stay up to date with it, tune into AUTOSPORT.com.

See our F1 related articles too!