FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
By F1IsInMyBlood
Ben Gallop the BBC’s Head of F1 and formerly an employee of SKY, need I say more about him talking up the deal.

Reading Jake Humphrey comments on Twitter it is no surprise he is towing the BBC line about how its still good for F1 and the fans, he is a BBC employee after all.

Brundle is "Not impressed" and "out of Contract"

His bias blog on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors ... betwe.html
By Ri21
I found out this morning at 8.10 and i have to say it has ruined the whole day for me....i dislike sky sooo much and i WILL NOT and CAN NOT afford to pay for sky...especially sky sports

This is such a shame...and rather upsetting...i have loved watching the bbc coverage since 2009 (was sooo happy when it left itv) the bbc coverage and f1 team have done a great job and i feel that all the hard work that has been put in over the last couple of years will turn into a waste...i feel within myself that i would rather not watch f1 at all then just watch half of the races...and i can see it now that we would get the ones that we would rather be without anyway (Catalunya/Valencia) which would be bloody predictable

At the end of the day...we pay our license fees for a reason (i do it to watch the tv that we WANT TO WATCH which is F1) not to pay for something that we wont get full coverage of... :banghead:

Tis such a shame that it has come to this...im hoping for a mircable that somehow the deal will change
By andrew
£48 aka $79 per race? That is arcane... nobody should be forced to pay that amount to watch an F1 race.

To be fair, I did say that only applied if F1 is the only thing you would watch on your Sky subscription with the sports package; if you watched other things then the cost is spread out more.

Understood, I'll have a look at what's on board a Sky subscription. That said, for F1-only fans... it doesn't paint a very pretty picture.

I often read the TV listings for Sky along with those for regular TV. Aside from the occasional film or some motorsport there is nothing on Sky thaty I would want to watch and I don't feel like I am missing out not having Sky. I don't watch a huge amount of TV though. Even if I could aford Sky I still couldn't justify havinh it to watch F1 every so often.
By F1IsInMyBlood
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93491

Bernie Ecclestone response:

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has promised that the sport's audience will grow with the onset of Sky's pay-to-view television deal from 2012.

A surprise deal was announced on Friday morning that the BBC and Sky Sports will share coverage of the sport in the UK from 2012 - with the satellite and cable broadcaster showing all live sessions while the BBC transmits only half on terrestrial digital television - prompting a wave of angry responses from license holders on internet forums and Twitter.

But Ecclestone, speaking after leaving a meeting to address the subject with F1's team principals, insisted that the deal is positive for the sport.

"It's good for Formula 1," he said. "For sure there are going to be a lot more people viewing, and a lot more opportunities for people to view, so from that point I'm very happy.

"I've been finalising this all night long and one or two things might change a little."

"Sky will broadcast everything, all the races, live. The Beeb will do 50 per cent live, and when it isn't live, they will be putting together a very good highlights package.

"They [BBC] may yet do the whole race deferred, we have to see."

Asked what he would say to fans who could not afford a Sky subscription, Ecclestone replied: "That's where the problem is, I know, but from what I understand Sky has enormous coverage, 10 million homes.

"For those who can't watch Sky, they can still watch on a Sunday night, which will probably be better than watching the whole race live half the time," he added.

Ecclestone added that the deal was not complicated by issues surrounding the current Concorde Agreement because the covenant comes to an end prior to the beginning of the Sky contract.

"The Concorde finishes in 2012," he said. "After then there may not be one, we don't need one. We'll see.

"But I think this is all positive, and having spoken to the teams, they think it's positive too."

Along with indicating that the deal was likely to mean more income for the teams, Ecclestone spoke about the general onset of pay-per-view television and how the media landscape affected F1 in the future.

"We do have to do the best we can, and I'm interested in getting the maximum coverage because we have to invest in the future for the good of the teams and for Formula 1," he said.

"I think in the end people will be more happy with this than they are at the moment."

Basically, if you can't afford SKY, he couldn't care less, watch the highlights. You want to watch F1 then your going to have to pay for it so the F1 Teams, Bernie and the Shareholders can make more from you, the ones that pay.

I think its time Bernie you retired before you destroy F1.
By Ri21
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc

The link above is the first (of presumably many) that I will come across.

petition signed...this is 1 of many i do believe i will be signing
By andrew

Filled it in. Thanks for posting this link.
By headless

petition signed...this is 1 of many i do believe i will be signing

Filled it in. Thanks for posting this link.

Good stuff.
Facebook groups are also a good one.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-F1- ... 1281832578
https://www.facebook.com/SaveBBCF1
By tazman
well this will be my last year of watching F1.( after following the sport for 30 years)
I have dumped sky tv back in 2009 after 20 years with them. the thing that did it for me was their pricing, I was paying £22 per monthfor only half the channels. my son and daughter had sky put in and had all the channels for £24 per month for the first year. they both cancelled after the first year. With in two weeks of cancelling with sky they were getting phone calls offering all the channels back for £24 per month again for another year!!. stuff that I thought I will try and get it!! A BIG NO WAS THE REPLY!! so I cancelled my sky and bought a FREESAT BOX!. Within a month they were ringing me with the same offer as my son.
My problem with sky is if they do this with every customer, why cant they lower the price for EVERYBODY. 20 years I was a sky customer and will never go back with them!
so no more f1 for me. :thumbdown: I sad day for me :censored:
By F1IsInMyBlood
I just read what Martin Whitmarsh said after his meeting with Bernie Ecclestone, well he just showed how out of touch he is with F1 Fans. In effect they have seen the money side of the agreement and found its more for them.

I knew the F1 Paddock lived in a bubble, but to insult fans like they are doing is just plain madness. FOTA claims to have the interests of the fans as its base :bs: more like their bank balance.

Well this will be my last season of F1 after 27 years of following, it can go and dissappear up its own diffuser for all I care.
By Ri21
i hate sky with a passion... :banghead:

they take EVERYTHING thats worth watching and then go and ruin it

The bbc in my eyes have made a bad mistake....there viewing figures are the highest they have ever been...and still they give up the rights for all of the races...this is complete :censored:

Out of ALL of the things the bbc cover...F1 should NOT be the one that gets cuts.....due to this...i expect Wimbeldon to be gone or for only half of the tennis matches to be shown (im a tennis fan also) but its only fair (im sure f1 gets more higher viewing figures then wimbledon does) and the same goes for every other sports (the rubbish ones)

This is a mistake and i do feel the bbc will regret the decision that has been made

Bernie Ecclestone....seriously needs to 'do one'
By LewEngBridewell
Still angry about the news.

However;

Although I will not be paying for Sky at the moment, I WILL be watching all the coverage the BBC has to offer. As a true F1 fan, I would ideally wish to watch every race live, but as I now cannot afford to do so, I will have to make do with extended highlights when the race is not live on the BBC.

I refuse to be put off my wonderful sport that has enchanted me since childhood by a petty TV deal!!!!

Any proper F1 fan will remain loyal to the sport and persist through the obstacles.

Any folk saying they are refusing to watch now need to assess whether they were really F1 fans in the first place.

DAMN YOU Sky, but you're not pushing ME around.

:blaster:
By andrew
i hate sky with a passion... :banghead:

they take EVERYTHING thats worth watching and then go and ruin it

The bbc in my eyes have made a bad mistake....there viewing figures are the highest they have ever been...and still they give up the rights for all of the races...this is complete :censored:

Out of ALL of the things the bbc cover...F1 should NOT be the one that gets cuts.....due to this...i expect Wimbeldon to be gone or for only half of the tennis matches to be shown (im a tennis fan also) but its only fair (im sure f1 gets more higher viewing figures then wimbledon does) and the same goes for every other sports (the rubbish ones)

This is a mistake and i do feel the bbc will regret the decision that has been made

Bernie Ecclestone....seriously needs to 'do one'

I agree with what you say except the final line. It is the BBC's fault and no one else's. It is the BBC who waste cash (I've seenwater leak out of a high pressure main flow slower than the BBC spend our cash!) yet they plead poverty.

MrE wouldn't be doing his job (generating a return for CVC) if he didn't drive a hard bargin. From what I have seen, what was being asked from the BBC was not unreasonable.

Still angry about the news.

However;

Although I will not be paying for Sky at the moment, I WILL be watching all the coverage the BBC has to offer. As a true F1 fan, I would ideally wish to watch every race live, but as I now cannot afford to do so, I will have to make do with extended highlights when the race is not live on the BBC.

I refuse to be put off my wonderful sport that has enchanted me since childhood by a petty TV deal!!!!

Any proper F1 fan will remain loyal to the sport and persist through the obstacles.

Any folk saying they are refusing to watch now need to assess whether they were really F1 fans in the first place.

DAMN YOU Sky, but you're not pushing ME around.

:blaster:

At the moment I won't watch. I have been brought up watching F1, my Dad is an F1 fan and my Mum will watch a race if it's on and will try and put the evils on certain drivers but I see no point in watching sporadic races.

If I want to see F1 I want to see the entire unedited season. Pretty clear choice for me at the moment.
By racechick
Ok. Guys in Germany. Do you know if RTL will still have it next year?? Or is sky scuppering them too. If they are then you can point a dish at the astra satelite and pick up RTL then turn on five live commentary.

Wont be as good but there's NO WAY im getting Sky.
BBC is so good with David Jake Eddie and Martin :banghead::banghead::banghead:

See our F1 related articles too!