FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
Oh, MOA... you can do a hell of a lot more on your smart phone today than you could on your old 486 PC... give it time.
Oh, MOA... you can do a hell of a lot more on your smart phone today than you could on your old 486 PC... give it time.

I never had a 486; my first PC was a Pentium 2 350mhz with a mighty 64MB RAM! I have a smartphone, a Nokia 5800 but it doesn't replace my laptop.

Before that I had a mighty Commodore Amiga 1200 with 4MB (6MB total) RAM expansion and a Motorola 68030 CPU upgrade and a massive 340MB HDD!

I never had a 486; my first PC was a Pentium 2 350mhz with a mighty 64MB RAM! I have a smartphone, a Nokia 5800 but it doesn't replace my laptop.

Before that I had a mighty Commodore Amiga 1200 with 4MB (6MB total) RAM expansion and a Motorola 68030 CPU upgrade and a massive 340MB HDD!

I had a 486 SX 25mhz with a whole 4 meg of RAM and 210meg HHD. (the man in the shop said that I would never fill the HDD up) I upgraded it over the years so that it had a sound card (sound blaster pro 8 bits of stereo power) and then at the cost of £200 a 2 speed cd rom reader... I was a god amongst my class mates.

I had a 486 SX 25mhz with a whole 4 meg of RAM and 210meg HHD. (the man in the shop said that I would never fill the HDD up) I upgraded it over the years so that it had a sound card (sound blaster pro 8 bits of stereo power) and then at the cost of £200 a 2 speed cd rom reader... I was a god amongst my class mates.

You weenie... but so understandable. I was so proud of myself when I realized that I could buy a 486 DX2 50 and overclock it to 66 MHz.

You weenie... but so understandable. I was so proud of myself when I realized that I could buy a 486 DX2 50 and overclock it to 66 MHz.

I remember revelling in the speed of playing Battle Chess lol

Was that by pressing the 'turbo' button on the front of the case? :hehe:
That was by switching a set of jumpers on the mother board that would switch the internal clock from 25 MHz to 33 MHz. I didn't know my way around computers but I did know my way around electronics.
Ran across this snipit today and though about this thread.

Id Software has taken that whole "can it play Doom" challenge to heart in recent years, embracing the mobile space in a big way. Given the explosion of phone-based gaming, it's not hard to see why -- in fact, the speed with which devices have advanced has apparently left co-founder John Carmack's mind reeling. In a recent interview, the Wolfenstein / Doom / Quake developer noted how iOS has gone from non-existent to a major gaming player in the time that it has taken the company to develop the still forthcoming Rage. And while the iPad 2 isn't quite as advanced as some might suggest, Carmack predicts that in two years, mobile devices will "almost certainly" be as powerful as the current crop of high-end consoles. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Playing Doom/Wolfenstien 3D on your phone, but using the rotation (like using Layar) to control where you look would be cool
I use the Google Chrome internet...thingy..and it's really fast, in my opinions i think it's better than Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari.
So this thread is nearly two years old and I'm thinking of buying a Chromebook. $249 dollars for a very slim laptop (under 3 lbs) with a nice sized screen and battery life in the 6+ hour of usage range. It will be used solely for web browsing, email and some Android apps. It's not for me, it's to replace my wife's laptop that she busted the screen on and when i started to look at replacement cost for the screen or the replacement cost of a new laptop, it just didn't make much sense.

Has anyone had some real world experience with one?
So this thread is nearly two years old and I'm thinking of buying a Chromebook. $249 dollars for a very slim laptop (under 3 lbs) with a nice sized screen and battery life in the 6+ hour of usage range. It will be used solely for web browsing, email and some Android apps. It's not for me, it's to replace my wife's laptop that she busted the screen on and when i started to look at replacement cost for the screen or the replacement cost of a new laptop, it just didn't make much sense.

Tablet is the way to go with that budget. Better:-
- resolution
- apps
- offline functionality
- battery life
- portability

I've got a chrome book. I'll tell you all about it later. Going for a run now before quali.

See our F1 related articles too!