FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By darwin dali
While admitting that there should be more overtaking in Formula One, however, Mosley said a working group is already investigating ways to spice up the show - including the possibility of re-introducing slick tyres.
By 7UpJordan
I thought they'd scrapped that idea last month? If he's re-considering though, that would be awesome. :)
By welshie
I don't understand why the idea was scrapped at all. You want overtaking, you need more mechanical grip i.e. Slicks.

Maybe Mosley has just figured this out for himself, clever boy :roll:
By Stephen
Would be great to the return of slicks, wasn't 1997 the last time we saw them?
By bud
mech grip equals more overtaking less need for aero work simple solution
By 7UpJordan
And hopefully it will eliminate the need for all those silly fins and wings.
By vegas
I cant wait to see slicks and no TC :D:D
By deMuRe
I don't understand why the idea was scrapped at all. You want overtaking, you need more mechanical grip i.e. Slicks.

I always thought they introduced grooves to make the F1 less like a go-kart, Schumi's comfort zone, further reducing his ability to run away with the title...

I remember once Patrick Head saying grooves made the F1 cars very very twitchy... Would be lovely if the drivers had a more stable car under their feet, I'm not expecting a return to emotional driving but I would love it if drivers had more confidence under heavy braking...
By 7UpJordan

I always thought they introduced grooves to make the F1 less like a go-kart, Schumi's comfort zone, further reducing his ability to run away with the title...

I remember once Patrick Head saying grooves made the F1 cars very very twitchy... Would be lovely if the drivers had a more stable car under their feet, I'm not expecting a return to emotional driving but I would love it if drivers had more confidence under heavy braking...

I think it was to slow the cars down, some of the lap records that Mansell, Prost, Senna et al held were smashed in 1997 which indicated the cars were getting fast after the FIA had tried to slow them down post Imola 94. But today, those records have been broken again by the 2004 cars. Would Mansell's all-conquering FW14B still be able to smash Schumacher's Silverstone lap record in the F2004?
By bud
i think thinking they changed to groovess due to schumi is abit far fetched, the only rule they changed due to him was the point scheme! and thats more to do with his sheep contract he had for his team mate!

it was to slow the cars cornering down which the engineers went around with developing aero to compensate for lack of mech grip by creating more aero grip
By deMuRe
i think thinking they changed to groovess due to schumi is abit far fetched, the only rule they changed due to him was the point scheme! and thats more to do with his sheep contract he had for his team mate!

it was to slow the cars cornering down which the engineers went around with developing aero to compensate for lack of mech grip by creating more aero grip

The only rule? Perhaps I am a little confused, the way I saw it was they changed a lot more. I felt they changed qualifying to try and stop Schumi from eclipsing Senna's record. They changed the tyre rules after France 2004 where Michael stopped for fuel and tyres every 3 laps and still won.

I followed F1 fairly closely when I was in the UK, I read Autosport, F1-Racing and that one magazine Bernie and Max started to air a bit of dirty laundry, can't remember the name now, edited by Nigel Mansell, anyway I used to read internet articles and I was even that much of an F1 gimp I paid for a wholesale reuters news feed and got sent every newspaper article around the world that had the word F1 in it. Yeah I had no life, my point is, my gut feeling was they did absolutely everything they could to curb Schumi's talent in the effort to preserve television ratings, without being too obvious. I even felt they changed the technical regulations to make the cars more mechanical reliant instead of driver input, further reducing Schumi's impact....

My 2cp...
By vegas
They changed the tyre rules after France 2004 where Michael stopped for fuel and tyres every 3 laps and still won.

He only pitted once.
By bud
DeMure nice to know "what you felt" but the facts are the only rule they changed due to Mike was the points system! damn sheep herder
By deMuRe
DeMure nice to know "what you felt" but the facts are the only rule they changed due to Mike was the points system! damn sheep herder

Interesting how they are going back to slicks after Schumi has retired...
By bud

Interesting how they are going back to slicks after Schumi has retired...

will they go back to V10s aswell maybe?

they went from slicks in 1998 he won 2 titles in 94 and 95. 3 years in that time and then another 2 before he got his first at Ferrari so how can you honestly say they changed from slicks just because it would hinder schumacher because it would make it less like a kart when the whole bloody grid are Karters????

seriously dude crack up!!!

See our F1 related articles too!