FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Big Azza
Howdy! I felt like reviving this classic thread, without answering the question. Hope you guys don't mind.

Q. I am a team owner/principal who debuted two future world champions in the two consecutive races that my team entered.

Could you name the principal/owner (not sure of his official title), the team, and two aforementioned world champions along with their debut races? :wavey:

Good luck! I'm now sure how easy or hard this one is.

Colin Chapman, Lotus. John Surtees at Monaco and Jim Clark in Holland.

Yes... And the year was 1960... Over to you. BTW - I'm not very good at these games. I just have a little trivia book of F1....
By LewEngBridewell
smokin is very good at this game :yes:
By andrew
Damn! i thought it was to do with Jim Clarck. If only I'd had the eagerness to look closer.
By smokin
Staying with Colin Chapman, in his specification for a Formula 1 car what did he put as more important than lapping a racing circuit quicker than any other car, with the least possible skill from the driver, and doing it long enough to finish the race?
By Big Azza
Staying with Colin Chapman, in his specification for a Formula 1 car what did he put as more important than lapping a racing circuit quicker than any other car, with the least possible skill from the driver, and doing it long enough to finish the race?

I know that his philosophy was to make the cars as lightweight and as nimble as possible. "Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

Not sure how that answers the last aspect of your question though.... :confused:
By smokin

I know that his philosophy was to make the cars as lightweight and as nimble as possible. "Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

Not sure how that answers the last aspect of your question though.... :confused:

Chapman put the different aspects in order of priority. I'm looking for what he thought was higher up in the priority list than lapping quickest for the whole race.
By Jabberwocky
reliability to fall apart as it crossed the finishing line. otherwise it weighed too much.

What would he make of 8 engines a year and gearbox's for 4 races!
By madbrad
Q. I am a team owner/principal who debuted two future world champions in the two consecutive races that my team entered.

That wording makes it look like the team only entered two races ever.
By andrew

Chapman put the different aspects in order of priority. I'm looking for what he thought was higher up in the priority list than lapping quickest for the whole race.

How the car looked?
By madbrad
I don't know, but while I was cheating, er, googling for unrelated stuff :wink: I came across this quote:
"The most elegant and effective and traditional Lotus solution is the one with the least parts effectively deployed".
Is that getting me close to the answer?
By smokin
To help with your ch... Googling, Chapman's philosophy was set out in a document he wrote in 1975, entitled “Future Spec for F1 Car”.
By Big Azza

That wording makes it look like the team only entered two races ever.

Yes, I tried to be selective about my wording, because theoretically it wasn't consecutive races if you counted the Indy 500 race which the team did not enter...
By smokin
To help with your ch... Googling, Chapman's philosophy was set out in a document he wrote in 1975, entitled “Future Spec for F1 Car”.

Still no takers? Here's another clue:

By darwin dali

To win.
By smokin

To win.

Ah. I was looking for "nothing" but, depending upon how you read his spec document, winning is the prime objective and so comes above lapping fast, etc.

You're in the chair, DD.

See our F1 related articles too!