FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.

Boxter S or Evo X?

Boxter S
36%
Evo X
64%
By Gaz
Two completely different vehicles with a diametrically opposed heritage. I will leave the subjective "beauty" aspect aside since we're all going to have our different opinions, and so will just focus on the raisons de vivre of both vehicles.

The Evo started out as a sensible mid priced family car and it was tuned to the hilt by Mitsubishi for the purpose of capitalizing on a market segment. Fair enough, but in my opinion it is a soulless piece of manufactured machinery, one for which I would have loads more respect for if it had been created or born from a street tuner culture instead of a company wanting to cash in on kids with more money than car craft tuning talent.

The Boxter on the other hand started out as a clean slate design to pay homage to the Spyder of old. It is one of the most balanced performance vehicles ever built, that alone gives it a notable mention in automotive history. The Boxter (and the Cayman variant) is purposely kept underpowered by Porsche because otherwise the mid and lower echelon 911s would be red faced out on the track.

heh i guess your bias to be fair if it had to be a porche i'd get a Cayman
By f1ea
I voted Evo, but if it was a 911 i think those are "faster" cars

the 911 are "faster" cars??
I think the word you were looking for is one of these:
Legendary. Classic. Classy.
By audis4gasm
Fair enough, but in my opinion it is a soulless piece of manufactured machinery, one for which I would have loads more respect for if it had been created or born from a street tuner culture instead of a company wanting to cash in on kids with more money than car craft tuning talent.

It's not a street car, it has been a rally car for years. I haven't seen the new model compete, but the Evo 5 has been one of the best rally cars in the 90's. It still limits its engine size to 2.0L, which is the universal rally standard, and therefore has to fit an enormous turbo. Subaru have abandoned the rally pedigree by adapting the 2.5L, but Evo's have always had 3 driving modes: Tarmac, Gravel and Snow. This is a rally car, not a street car, but it does exceptionally well on road as well. Also they're taking the handling seriously now, instead of focusing on acceleration, lately they've made it a tiny bit slower, but better handling. Of course, it's still an electronics manufacturer - but hey, it will keep up with a lambo on a track.
By Bubbie
As a petrolhead I have to go with the Evo. People that know cars will look at them this way:

Evo - An awesome car that doesn't look like it could blow away almost any car on the streets and add gravel to that and there is no contest. So much car for so little cash.
Boxster S - A fun little car for people that can't afford a real Porsche. Ugly, and for a porsche that says a lot.

With regards to the Cayman, I like how on Top Gear they called is a Coxster. Still makes me giggle.

Here is Clarkson talking about the Boxster S:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPhoazBcLYY
By audis4gasm
lol, this is retarded but buy a Porsche. Like Top gear says...What are you driving? - a mitsu..
Girls like it, your friends like it, you're driving a porsche, no turbo lag, rear wheel drive is fun, who uses back seats anyway?
By bud
If I wanted a duck extension I'd buy the Boxter

If I wanted a real performance car that I'd drive in a way that required big genitalia in the first place I'd buy the Evo.
Friend of mine said he wanted a Boxter S, and I told him "pfft. Just get an Evo X and save $20,000". Not to mention it's 100x better in wet and snow. Has two full rows of seats and a decent boot.

The Boxster's boot space is excellent though...

Difficult choice really as the two cars are so different. Having been persuaded over to the dark side very recently, I'd say Porsche.
By Stealthgate007

If I wanted a real performance car that I'd drive in a way that required big genitalia in the first place I'd buy the Evo.

Yeeeessssssss.. You know what my car is really about.. getting laid.. However beyond that, its pretty damn fun. Everyone whom I've let have a go say, they didn't realize how fast and sharp it is..

This weekend I had it up to 141mph... thats 235kph.. I ran out of road, but it was still pulling.
By bud

Yeeeessssssss.. You know what my car is really about.. getting laid.. However beyond that, its pretty damn fun. Everyone whom I've let have a go say, they didn't realize how fast and sharp it is..

This weekend I had it up to 141mph... thats 235kph.. I ran out of road, but it was still pulling.

Yours is a 911 no? I'd rather that than a Evo :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!