FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By vaptin
Let's put some oil to the fire! Vettel is better!

Better at what? Winning from pole in clean air?
Vettel can't even dream doing what Mark did.

This keeps coming up, Vettel's so good at qualifying, it seems rare that he needs to. So there isn't a lot of evidence to go on, admittedly his moves on Button and Webber last year at Spa and Turkey respectively were f-ups, but not representative of making your way throught the pack.

Taking into account the situation with tyres, kers and DRS I think its only fair to compare within this season with drivers making their way through the field.

My point is a lot of drivers can do what Seb does,maybe not as good but still.
What Lewis has done throughout his short career,and Alonso as well even tho he's been in F1 for ten years,Vettel hasn't shown.
Yesterday was a perfect example,after losing 1st on the start he was close to Lewis but never challenged,even on a faster car. Now if that was Lewis in the RB7 he would have been on a full on attack.
It just seems to me that Vettel's races are fully run from pitwall,and he looks like a puppet waiting for someone to tell him what to do when he's not leading.

Vettel led the race for most of it, but was on the wrong strategy it seems. At the start the tyres would've been in roughly equal conditions.

Hmm, Monza last year I think Vettel made up some positions by going very long on the options? Sliverstone last year as well.
By billindenver
Was it just me, or when Webber made that crack about it being good to see someone other than Seb on the top step...didnt Vettel's expression get kinda odd?

I can tell you I wouldn't be too terribly happy if my team mate said it was good to see me beaten. After he said it and after I stopped laughing I wondered just how many races in we would be before Webber and Vettel were back to openly hating each other. Lets start a pool...I say one more race and they are bare knucking it in pit lane...oh, and my money is on Webber if that happens. Actually, I think he could take both Vettel and Hamilton without breaking a sweat and leave both of them crying like babies.

I like Webber...its just a shame how seldom he puts up a really noteworthy drive or qualifying lap actually.
By texasmr2
Was it just me, or when Webber made that crack about it being good to see someone other than Seb on the top step...didnt Vettel's expression get kinda odd?

I noticed that aswell and it was priceless!! :hehe::thumbup:
By geetface9

I can tell you I wouldn't be too terribly happy if my team mate said it was good to see me beaten. After he said it and after I stopped laughing I wondered just how many races in we would be before Webber and Vettel were back to openly hating each other. Lets start a pool...I say one more race and they are bare knucking it in pit lane...oh, and my money is on Webber if that happens. Actually, I think he could take both Vettel and Hamilton without breaking a sweat and leave both of them crying like babies.

I like Webber...its just a shame how seldom he puts up a really noteworthy drive or qualifying lap actually.

Yeah I've noticed that he's kinda just the best 'average' driver, but when he throws down, he is unstoppable. All four of his wins last year were spectacular. All of vettel's were just meh cuz he'd drive from pole to victory without having to do much dicing...and when he did...he'd wreck himself and someone else.

BUT, it is a new season and hopefully we will see some mature drives out of him and maybe he has developed as a driver, but as everybody knows he has just driven two races from pole to victory and only just lost out in China so we will need to wait a few more races and assess over the course of this season if he truly has become a more mature driver.
By geetface9
I disagree. Vettel is nothing like he was last year. He has an extremely cool head and knows what he is doing. I would agree last year he might have, but I think he was pushing over the top to win himself a championship. Not saying he isn't doing that now but he's thinking ahead about his actions and moves.

Webber did great, and I don't know what red bull's KERS issue is but they need to get that stuff figured out. Webber also needs to just flat out tell them, listen stop putting KERS on my car if you can't get it right. He's shown he can at least scrap much better with out it. If he has it working then great it'll be awesome, and he needs to make his own calls for qualifying, listening to them and staying on the hard compound for q1 was just a bad idea.

I think it's too soon to say vettel is nothing like last year. We've only seen him do 2 pole drives to victory and then a 2nd place, which he did last year too but still managed to have big blunders, so I think more time is needed to make that assessment.

As far as mark's qualifying strategy, he actually uses that strategy in most races (i.e. doing Q1 on primes) and it's obviously worked for the last year and a half. Unfortunately, they just ran outta time some how and he couldn't get that second lap in on warmed up primes.

Hopefully they will get KERS worked out soon. From what I know they are building it from scratch cuz they are 'just a drinks company' so they don't have years of experience with it on production cars...cuz red bull energy drinks don't have KERS lol :hehe: hey, maybe I'm on to something here.... :rofl:
By kerc
Actually, I think he could take both Vettel and Hamilton without breaking a sweat and leave both of them crying like babies.

I don't know about Vettel, but I think Lewis is a black belt? So, hardly. It could be an Aussie grit fail. Of course, your mileage might vary and all that. :hehe:
By f1ea
Red bull should piass webber off a bit more often. He drives like a nut when he's angry at something...
Way to go, that was a classic race from webber. Considering his car wasnt the perfect car to win, he drove like he would have won it easily from a normal grid p.
By texasmr2
Webber looks like superman, perhaps he is :hehe:

:yes::hehe: Hands on hips ready to rid the F1 World of evil!!
imagesCAJX6HJV.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Hammer278
I dont know why, he always reminds me of Aaron Eckhart.
By Herbs
Still can't do enough to please sections of the Australian sports media, no matter how well he drives. Tall Poppy Syndrome strikes again. :banghead:
By bud
Still can't do enough to please sections of the Australian sports media, no matter how well he drives. Tall Poppy Syndrome strikes again. :banghead:

Care to explain? Someone putting him down? over here the only reports i heard on the news and radio were his great drive from P18 to podium.
By FRAFPDD

Its like that over here. Annoying as having an bottom.
By Herbs

Care to explain? Someone putting him down? over here the only reports i heard on the news and radio were his great drive from P18 to podium.

Usual people on Fox sports and ESPN panel shows like PTI and The Back Page, who generally have no idea.

See our F1 related articles too!