FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
Past... Mansell! (Also Hill and Raikkonen). Current - Kobayashi and Kubica. I've taken a liking to Di Resta too.

(This must be the 132628th incarnation of this thread but as i can't find any of the old ones to merge with, what the hell...)

Favorite driver threads never die, they just fade away.
Past: James Hunt and Ayrton Senna. I'm quite partial to Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart too

Present: Hamilton. But I'm beginning to really like Kobayashi and Di Resta.
kobeyasi is so exciting to watch, some of the overtakes he makes are great, just look at his first F1 race in brazil 2009 when jenson button couldnt even pass him, making of a great driver i think, paul di resta is gonna go far, got a very mature head on him and is showing his experianced team mate up in quali and in the race.
kobeyasi is so exciting to watch, some of the overtakes he makes are great, just look at his first F1 race in brazil 2009 when jenson button couldnt even pass him, making of a great driver i think, paul di resta is gonna go far, got a very mature head on him and is showing his experianced team mate up in quali and in the race.

And then a race later Raikonnen couldnt pass Kobayashi! That clip is still on youtube somewhere.
Past would have to be Hakkinen, present is much more difficult, i enjoy most of the racers these days actually :P mainly Webber Vettel Rosberg Heidfeld and Kubica currently
The picture in my signature should be enough of a clue as to my past favourite.
Current it has to be Hamilton as his driving style and desire to win is very similar to the great Villeneuve.
Nigel Mansell (the driver responsible for peaking my interest in F1)
Damon Hill, David Coulthard, Jenson Button, Kamui Kobayashi, Mark Webber, Paul di Resta
I think Niki Lauda and Sebastian Vettel. It's interesting because I wasn't alive when Lauda was racing, but to this date I feel that he was the bravest driver ever, and certainly a force to be reckoned with throughout his career.

Also, I'm really starting to appreciate Schumacher now that I've been watching Formula One for a few years. He "retired" just before I started watching. Now that I know how difficult it is to win a championship, I'm amazed that he won 7 of them and dominated for so long.

Fangio is another one who should be added to my list. And surprisingly Alonso, who I used to detest, I would add him if he could win one more title... :thumbup:

Part of my reason for supporting drivers (in case you can't tell) is their achievements.

A special mention also needs to go to Wolfgang Von Trips who I have read about. He could have been the first ever German World Champion if he had've finished 3rd at the 1961 Italian Grand Prix. He qualified on pole, but on the second lap, was killed in a horrific accident, along with 14 fans. But I think reading about him has had a large impact on my motorsports life.

See our F1 related articles too!