FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
I recommend 1and1.co.uk; for £5 per month you get unlimited transfer, 10GB webspace and a free .co.uk domain name and the first six months is free! I have used this company for seven years and they haven't missed a beat even even restored my site after I screwed up and accidentally deleted my whole site!

Scary - would this confession be a reason for firing you as a mod with immediate effect and without any benefits?? :yikes::P

how come he gets benifits!!! All I got was a lousy mouse mat!!
By Jamie
I recommend 1and1.co.uk; for £5 per month you get unlimited transfer, 10GB webspace and a free .co.uk domain name and the first six months is free! I have used this company for seven years and they haven't missed a beat even even restored my site after I screwed up and accidentally deleted my whole site!

Can't I just use wordpress's service or how much does that come too?

Well, yes if you are happy with WordPress.com then you stick with it; but if you want to have the ability to experiment with customising WordPress then you'll need your own hosting. The total cost for the 1and1 hosting would be £60 per year; but only £30 for the first year as you get six months free. So where you go from here all depends what you want from your site.

If you want to just play around and experiment; you could always download WAMP and set up your own home testing server, but you'll need a little technical knowledge to set it up!
By Jamie

Well, yes if you are happy with WordPress.com then you stick with it; but if you want to have the ability to experiment with customising WordPress then you'll need your own hosting. The total cost for the 1and1 hosting would be £60 per year; but only £30 for the first year as you get six months free. So where you go from here all depends what you want from your site.

If you want to just play around and experiment; you could always download WAMP and set up your own home testing server, but you'll need a little technical knowledge to set it up!

At the moment I am just interested in blogging and want the cheapest possible solution :-) at the moment I am learning more about web development and design so I will probly go for the solution you suggested when I am a little more experienced.
There are numerous free blogging sites out there; probably the most famous is Blogger, which is run by Google! WordPress works well enough but most people download the software and host it themselves like my blog; for which I built a custom theme, personally I want my site to be unique but that's just my preference.

The best way to learn web development to to install your own home server like WAMP and play to your hearts content, all you need is the software and a computer I run WAMP on a P3 400mhz!
By Jamie
There are numerous free blogging sites out there; probably the most famous is Blogger, which is run by Google! WordPress works well enough but most people download the software and host it themselves like my blog; for which I built a custom theme, personally I want my site to be unique but that's just my preference.

The best way to learn web development to to install your own home server like WAMP and play to your hearts content, all you need is the software and a computer I run WAMP on a P3 400mhz!

only problem is word press is a CMS in which I hope to learn for my web development skills :-) but for now the free one will do, So if I went with there hosting you could easily apply that theme
If you took up the 1and1 hosting; you could easily upload your chosen theme to the \wp-content\themes directory; then it'll be available in the administration panel, you just need to activate it. Installing WordPress is easy; just make sure you have your database hostname, username, password and database name available. The install is wizard based, if you can follow instruction, you can install WordPress. If you seriously want to learn web development; going to somewhere like hotscripts.com and download some of their scripts in you chosen language and change certain aspects of the code to find out what each function does; a good language to learn would be php; there's quite extensive help for php beginners on the internet and the php.net website itself explains all functions with working examples of what each function does.
By Jamie
If you took up the 1and1 hosting; you could easily upload your chosen theme to the \wp-content\themes directory; then it'll be available in the administration panel, you just need to activate it. Installing WordPress is easy; just make sure you have your database hostname, username, password and database name available. The install is wizard based, if you can follow instruction, you can install WordPress. If you seriously want to learn web development; going to somewhere like hotscripts.com and download some of their scripts in you chosen language and change certain aspects of the code to find out what each function does; a good language to learn would be php; there's quite extensive help for php beginners on the internet and the php.net website itself explains all functions with working examples of what each function does.

Cheers for the tips MOA :-) but If i did take up wordpress on there hosting which is $17 P/Y would you be able to upload that theme :-)

|The Domain Mapping Upgrade allows you to use a custom domain name, such as example.com, instead of a standard WordPress.com domain name—like example.wordpress.com—for your blog.

Domain name registration plus domain mapping costs $17.00 ($12.00 for mapping, $5 for registration) per year, per domain.

If you already have registered a domain, mapping is just $12.00 per year, per domain.

To get started, just enter a domain name and follow the prompts!!
No, you're paying for the domain name and DNS/apache(webserver) configuration; the actual service doesn't change from my understanding.

Before Upgrading – Important Notes

Same Rules Apply – The Domain Mapping Upgrade does not enable the permission to use advertising, any kind of prohibited code, or upload additional themes or plugins. With the upgrade, your blog will still be hosted here at WordPress.com, which means that you will not have FTP access to your files and you will still be required to abide by our Terms of Service.

Source: http://en.support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/
By Jamie
No, you're paying for the domain name and DNS/apache(webserver) configuration; the actual service doesn't change from my understanding.

Before Upgrading – Important Notes

Same Rules Apply – The Domain Mapping Upgrade does not enable the permission to use advertising, any kind of prohibited code, or upload additional themes or plugins. With the upgrade, your blog will still be hosted here at WordPress.com, which means that you will not have FTP access to your files and you will still be required to abide by our Terms of Service.

Source: http://en.support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/

So i need to pay £60 a year :(
No; there are cheaper hosting packages out there; I just made my recommendation; there are much cheaper hosting companies but I cant vouch for the reliability!
By Jamie
No; there are cheaper hosting packages out there; I just made my recommendation; there are much cheaper hosting companies but I cant vouch for the reliability!

Hmmm, could you list some because you love me :-):heart:

Scary - would this confession be a reason for firing you as a mod with immediate effect and without any benefits?? :yikes::P

how come he gets benifits!!! All I got was a lousy mouse mat!!

Louse and mouse - your place is vermin infested - that's why! :eek:8-):P

See our F1 related articles too!