FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
By Jamie
Hello, I am currently trying to use wordpress and applying a theme is one complex way...Can comeone help please?

How to apply a theme? I have got as far as downloading a FTP. But @ WORK i CANNOT CONNECT TO THE SERVER, could this be the problem?

help
Last edited by Jamie on 14 Mar 11, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Wordpress has a very extensive help system; check out http://codex.wordpress.org/

As for not being able to access your webserver by ftp; your employer has probably blocked certain types of traffic on the local network to stop employees indulging in personal activities while at work; this is not uncommon; you could ask your network admin if they could allow you access but I'd suspect the answer would be no!
By Jamie
Wordpress has a very extensive help system; check out http://codex.wordpress.org/

As for not being able to access your webserver by ftp; your employer has probably blocked certain types of traffic on the local network to stop employees indulging in personal activities while at work; this is not uncommon; you could ask your network admin if they could allow you access but I'd suspect the answer would be no!

Well trying to use it @ home is hard, I have tried to do my theme I have un-zipped my theme but the FTP client is not quick connecting? SO I am having some difficulty. Any chance you could log on to my blog and upload the theme for me?
By Gaz

Well trying to use it @ home is hard, I have tried to do my theme I have un-zipped my theme but the FTP client is not quick connecting? SO I am having some difficulty. Any chance you could log on to my blog and upload the theme for me?

Speak to your host, get FTP working then upload it to the theme's directory where you have installed wordpress and you can just activate it then.
What message does it given when trying to quick connect via ftp? more than likely it's a username/password issue; if it's a pre-made template you can usually download directly through your WordPress administration pages: Appearance --> Themes --> Install Themes Tab; all this depends on whether you host supports zip file download and decompress!
wordpressthemes.jpg

You can use the top search box or you can select the qualities you want in your theme and search, it's fairly obvious from then on what to do; once downloaded and installed on the server; you'll need to activate the theme to use it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Jamie
LOL! Could someone do it for me, as all I get on my wordpress is...

Manage themes and not the install part :-(
Do you have one of those click and build wordpress installed that many hosting companies use these days? those installs have certain parts of the blogging software disabled. But send me you wordpress login details and I'll have a quick look for you!
OK; I've had a look; I had to do a little fishing to find your wordpress site; I didn't realise that you're hosting a free wordpress site on wordpress.com; you can not upload custom or third party themes to wordpress.com; you'll have to choose one of their premade templates they have available. You'll need your own dedicated php5/mysql hosting to have custom themes, sorry!

See here for more information: http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/upload-a-theme
I recommend 1and1.co.uk; for £5 per month you get unlimited transfer, 10GB webspace and a free .co.uk domain name and the first six months is free! I have used this company for seven years and they haven't missed a beat even even restored my site after I screwed up and accidentally deleted my whole site!
I recommend 1and1.co.uk; for £5 per month you get unlimited transfer, 10GB webspace and a free .co.uk domain name and the first six months is free! I have used this company for seven years and they haven't missed a beat even even restored my site after I screwed up and accidentally deleted my whole site!

Scary - would this confession be a reason for firing you as a mod with immediate effect and without any benefits?? :yikes::P

Scary - would this confession be a reason for firing you as a mod with immediate effect and without any benefits?? :yikes::P

If you wish? it'll mean I can put my feet up on the beach in the Bahamas, I've siphoned off enough funds for Forumula1.com to be very comfortable!

And I lost all my data because I used the wrong keyboard shortcut; I meant to copy the site to my local machine after a hard disk failure! kinda embarrassing but I am only human!

See our F1 related articles too!