FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
By FRAFPDD
Well the thing is, releasing them in September the season is almost over before the game is even out.

Fifa Football and Madden Football both release before or towards the start of the Association Football and Nation Football League seasons. For a reason.

We dont know how the tyres, cars, drivers and so on are to perform?

Theres far less "fluctuation" in football and ball sports, then there is in F1. I guess thats why its easier to make the former then the latter.

No doubt youve got some witty "ive done a gaming degree" smart-ass answer for me though.....
By Jensonb
Well the thing is, releasing them in September the season is almost over before the game is even out.

Fifa Football and Madden Football both release before or towards the start of the Association Football and Nation Football League seasons. For a reason.

Theres far less "fluctuation" in football and ball sports, then there is in F1. I guess thats why its easier to make the former then the latter.

No doubt youve got some witty "ive done a gaming degree" smart-ass answer for me though.....

By the middle of the season? I bloody well think we do.

In the past, Sony got the games out long before September. Pretty sure EA did too, but I played the Sony titles not the EA ones so I'm not sure.

Less of the attitude FRAFPDD, nobody here is spoiling for a fight so stop trying to have one.
By FRAFPDD

By the middle of the season? I bloody well think we do.

In the past, Sony got the games out long before September. Pretty sure EA did too, but I played the Sony titles not the EA ones so I'm not sure.

Less of the attitude FRAFPDD, nobody here is spoiling for a fight so stop trying to have one.

Do you know what your evidence for your argument was? It was that other games get theirs done before the start of their respective real-life counterparts season. Now youve just said "by the middle of the season".

That has nothing to do with your argument, your arguing to get this game realeased pre-season or at the start of the season as proven by your comparison with other games. Now your saying something about by mid-season. Fine, argue that it should be released mid-season, thats cool. You werent though, you were implying they should get it done pre/start of season, and you still havent explained how they could possibly do that (and get it accurate)
By Jensonb
Do you know what your evidence for your argument was? It was that other games get theirs done before the start of their respective real-life counterparts season. Now youve just said "by the middle of the season".

That has nothing to do with your argument, your arguing to get this game realeased pre-season or at the start of the season as proven by your comparison with other games. Now your saying something about by mid-season. Fine, argue that it should be released mid-season, thats cool. You werent though, you were implying they should get it done pre/start of season, and you still havent explained how they could possibly do that (and get it accurate)

Ahem:
That's about a year after 2010 came out. I don't know what they're thinking releasing these games in September. They ought to be aiming for summer release dates.

Do try and keep up. The reference to Fifa and Madden, as any reasonable person could tell you, was about marketing, not development. You're just being obtuse.
By FRAFPDD

Ahem:
That's about a year after 2010 came out. I don't know what they're thinking releasing these games in September. They ought to be aiming for summer release dates.

Do try and keep up. The reference to Fifa and Madden, as any reasonable person could tell you, was about marketing, not development. You're just being obtuse.

But you said "Fifa Football and Madden Football both release BEFORE OR TOWARDS THE START of the Association Football and Nation Football League seasons. For a reason."

So i said why they couldnt ACCURATELY do that, cause we dont know at the start, or better, before (like you said) what the capabilities of the teams/dirvers/tyres are. Im not talking about marketing, i was just saying they couldnt do it and make a decent game.

Then you said " by THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON, i think we bloody well do"

I dont know what im in the wrong for, for not understanding your point of view. But i tell you why they couldnt do it start or before AS YOU IMPLIED with your madden fifa reference. And you say something about "by mid season", which is totally not what your hinting at in your reference to fifa and madden.

That said you did say "for a reason" perhaps your reason is purely marketing, in making that reference anyway, and i read into it just that they do it for a reason in that its overall a better thing to do, but pointed out why they couldnt.

Oh god, ive just tried following what ive wrote....
By Jensonb
But you said "Fifa Football and Madden Football both release BEFORE OR TOWARDS THE START of the Association Football and Nation Football League seasons. For a reason."

So i said why they couldnt ACCURATELY do that, cause we dont know at the start, or better, before (like you said) what the capabilities of the teams/dirvers/tyres are. Im not talking about marketing, i was just saying they couldnt do it and make a decent game.

I dont know what im in the wrong for, for not understanding your point of view. But i tell you why they couldnt do it start or before AS YOU IMPLIED with your madden fifa reference. And you say something about "by mid season", which is totally not what your hinting at in your reference to fifa and madden.

That said you did say "for a reason" perhaps your reason is purely marketing, in making that reference anyway, and i read into it just that they do it for a reason in that its overall a better thing to do, but pointed out why they couldnt.

Uh-huh. In conclusion, it's not my fault if you leap in halfway through and disregard the starting point.
By FRAFPDD

Uh-huh. In conclusion, it's not my fault if you leap in halfway through and disregard the starting point.

So to be clear you agree they couldnt possible realease a decent f1 game prior/start of season.

Middle of the seasons ok but dodgy enough cause cars often get that weird performance leap (ferrari 10) and you get a game with Ferraris blowing up, when theyve just won the last 5 races straight. And you know how fickle f fans are, " only as good as your last performance", theyll wonder wtf codies were thinking when they made ferrari so crap.
By Jensonb
So to be clear you agree they couldnt possible realease a decent f1 game prior/start of season.

Middle of the seasons ok but dodgy enough cause cars often get that weird performance leap (ferrari 10) and you get a game with Ferraris blowing up, when theyve just won the last 5 races straight. And you know how fickle f fans are, " only as good as your last performance", theyll wonder wtf codies were thinking when they made ferrari so crap.

Sure, you need the cars to race at least once so you can at least gauge relative performance. It's always inaccurate because they never account for performance evolution. But if you just guessed, or based it on testing performance, it wouldn't be "inaccurate"", it'd be "completely wrong" - for instance, last year the Sauber would have been massively overrated.
By IceManpjn
Alright, I'm going to be honest. I've only skimmed through the first page out of five, so.... *shrug*

hopefully a vast improvment than F1 2010.
No excuses Codies for F1 2011. NO MORE BUGS PLEASE!!!!

That's an impossible task. All programs, at least all major ones like a major video game (versus some one-dollar downloadable one, perhaps) have at least some sort of bugs in them. It's virtually impossible to squish 100% of bugs in something like that. Even the most worshiped racing game franchise had its share of bugs in Gran Turismo 5 (and while some have subsequently been squished, some have not, like my trees flickering on Monza every single time I go there). It would be nice if all the game-breaking ones were squished, though, like the one I'm about to reference here in a moment.

it would be nice that if you made a pitstop you didn't run the risk of being overtaken because the AI didn't bother

I think that was the most annoying bug of the whole game. :banghead:

Personally, I felt that the one that corrupted my game save such that I have to completely start over was the most annoying. Granted, once it was discovered and discussion about it circulated the Internet we knew ways of trying to avoid it, but 1) by then it was too late for the first waves of people that encountered it, 2) learning about it and how to avoid it meant you had to be someone that lurks around gaming message boards which a lot of gamers don't, and 3) I learned how to avoid it and thought I went far enough but still ended up starting over. (It wasn't an enormous setback for me since I was still early into the first season, but it still sucked and could have been worse.)

Ive tried to make the game as realistic as possible by turning everything off, manual gears on. no driving line, no abs, no traction control, expert, legend ai, but im still winning races in a sauber. when i evntually move to a higher team im gonna forbid myself from racing with custom setups just to make it that much harder.

I suppose that the difficulty needs to be tweaked a bit such that only the top one percent of players can stand a chance at the highest difficulty settings and have to be using a top car like a Red Bull, McLaren, or Ferrari, but I still want to add something about how easily some players find stuff like this.

The thing about games like this one is that they aren't played by just the best racing gamers in the world but by a somewhat broader spectrum, many of them being more average and even below average. Average and even above average racing gamers still can't hop in one of the lesser cars and smoke the field on the hardest settings. It's really just the best of the best that find it to be such a cake walk. It might not always appear that way when looking at discussion on certain message boards, but those communities often fail to reflect the broader spectrum of players and instead tend to lean toward the more skilled, more hardcore end a bit.

Let me use a game with a large community as an example - the aforementioned GT5. When last I checked, it had sold more than six million copies already, and still going. Now, you could go to a gaming forum where a couple dozen players are griping about how they breezed through the game in their sleep, but they don't adequately represent all or most of the 6+ million players. Rather, the ones sliding through in their sleep tend to be the top one percent or five percent, rather than the average player.

I just felt the need to clarify that because often people complaining about how easy a game was neglects to consider the majority of players. Still, as I've already said, I do support dialing up the difficulty for the higher challenge settings such that it really is a challenge even for the best of the best. I just don't want it to appear like the game was simple for most of the people playing it.
By Frontrunner
I noticed that the F1 site is already promoting F1 2011 for pre order. F1 2010 was the first ever game that i had ever pre ordered and will probably be the last. I know I won't be rushing to get my hands on 2011 edition. I wait and see how it pans out before getting it.
By Bubbie
With regards to the change to the cars mid-season, why not get the engine out with where you think the cars are going to be, and push updates as they show through the season. You could also have it where an option is to mirror real-life upgrades, or have them more along the lines of you pick the upgrades a'la F1-2010.
By Big Azza
I also think that their should be driver changes. i.e., Jenson Button moves to Ferrari a few seasons in. :P
By Bubbie
Why so glum. I think that would add something to the game. Do I peel into the pits when the SC comes out? How do I keep the temps in the tires and brakes so that I would be quick on restart.

Maybe the option to bypass the SC period if you so wish would be good.

See our F1 related articles too!