FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
I looked up both the sporting and technical regulations and there is no mention of these inspections, other than what is normally done in parc fermé. We have nothing but the FIA's word that these inspections are to carried out at random.

This inspection to me personaly is very disheartening as to the state of the FIA which is imho strictly due to MM :irked: .

But part of the rules this year is the engine freeze, and how else are they going to enforce it and make sure manufactures are playing ball ?
If the rule is there to stop engine development why cant the FIA check the engine to make sure it complys with the regulations- if this happened to anyother driver no one would bat an eyelid but now its a big conspirisy by the FIA.
It makes sense to leave it this long there is no point checking to early development doesnt happen that quick on the engine front so the FIA were right to leave it a few races before starting to check

I agree with you yet the concensus is, as bud stated before, is that we are only seeing this 'inspection' because it is a McLaren? I'm a tifosi but I honestly do not believe Ferrari would be going through this shebacle and I put 99.9% of the blame on Max. I am by no mean's a pro at the rule's, I dont deal well with the pressure of politic's, but as I mentioned before I have my doubt's and concern's about this inspection.
Lewis's engine has been given the all clear, it has also been stated that another 5 engine manufactures will come under scrutiny before the end of the season.
Lewis's engine has been given the all clear, it has also been stated that another 5 engine manufactures will come under scrutiny before the end of the season.

Sweet, cheers for the info chris! :thumbup:

Thanks for that.
Here's the official word from autosport.com:

FIA gives Hamilton's engine the all-clear

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, July 31st 2008, 08:15 GMT

Lewis Hamilton's engine has been given the all clear by the FIA following its routine examination prior to the Hungarian Grand Prix.

As autosport.com reported last week, the FIA has begun a series of random tests of the power-units of the car manufacturers in F1 to ensure they are complying with the freeze on development.

Mercedes-Benz were the first manufacturer whose engine was picked to be examined, with Lewis Hamilton's race-winning unit from the German Grand Prix sealed after the race for a detailed examination by the FIA.

The sport's governing body duly conducted an exhaustive test of the engine and its parts, as well as comparing it with the engine that was submitted to the FIA by Mercedes-Benz's High Performance Engines division earlier this year.

The FIA confirmed in Hungary on Thursday that all parts of the engine conformed with the regulations, and there was no disparity between the power unit submitted before the season and the one being used now.
Ok so what are the odds that Hammys engine blows this weekend . . . now that would cause a fuss!! :twisted:
Ok so what are the odds that Hammys engine blows this weekend . . . now that would cause a fuss!! :twisted:

It would be an unjustified fuss - he should be on a fresh engine, seeing as it is round 11.

It would be an unjustified fuss - he should be on a fresh engine, seeing as it is round 11.

indeed he is!

tex the ECU have a seal if broken they know its been tampered with
tex the ECU have a seal if broken they know its been tampered with

Ah ok I was just curious if the ecu's would be inspected also.

Not really, he could've changed his engine which was on it's first race after not finishing in Canada without penalty.
Looks like its Ferrari's tern for the inspection.

Massa's engine is next

And now BMW Sauber.

FIA to inspect Heidfeld's engine

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, September 28th 2008, 18:19 GMT

The BMW engine of Nick Heidfeld is to be inspected prior to the Japanese Grand Prix to ensure it is the same specification as that lodged with the FIA.

Motor racing's governing body has begun an examination of the power units of all the manufacturers in F1, with Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari's engines having already been examined.

Now the BMW power unit will be examined to ensure that it is of the same specification as that provided to the FIA before the start of the season.
Is there anywhere to get the info on whether a drivers engine is on it's first or second race for each race in the season? Is it made public or is it just between each team and the FIA, like could a driver have used up his free first engine change and no one else knows about it?

See our F1 related articles too!