FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
it is Evolution Racing, Revolution Racing, or Thistle Racing.

Anyways, I've sent off a few emails to some businesses in my area. What do you recommend that I say in my email.. I just keep thinking that I am sending some random a letter asking for money (Which is essentially what I am doing.) I also spoke of success, (3x Club Champion, Runner up in British Clubman region, 2x Third place in Scottish Champs)

I included my website, and that they would have advertising space on:

The Kart,
The Van
The Race Suit
The Website

Do you think I have missed out any other info that might help me?

Thanks
Sam,
It's all about exposure for the company and letting them know what you can do for them basically. One thing I learned from my search for sponsorship for a fishing team is that you need to be persistent and very professional. The sponsor's I had did not want to talk about fishing they wanted to know my goal's as far as getting them the most exposure, how much and how often and what event's I would be attending.

There are actually quite a few writeup's on the internet about what it take's to acquire sponsorship. It does not matter if it's fishing or racing the same rule's apply for everyone.
Sam, good luck, it sounds like you have most of your bases covered already :)
I personally would also consider sending out some letters via snail mail (particularly if you aren't getting much response from your emails). I get c. 300 spam emails a day and if it's not from a name I recognise, or a subject line I'm expecting, it does tend to get binned....

Random thought - do you have a local newspaper? If so, do you think it is possible to get them to do a small feature on you inc. pictures and then at the end of the article say you are looking for sponsorship? My (free) local paper often covers things like this although I don't know how successful it is.
Yeah, it does.

My aim is to get a win at the weekend, which will hopefully mean that I can get an interview in the paper, which should get me some exposure and sponsorship :)

Well of the sponsors hasn't replied because he was at a rally.. Which is probably a good thing, meaning that he is into Racing :)
Hi Sam,

A few ideas for you, apologies if some of it is a bit obvious:

Firstly, read Perry McCarthy's autobiography "Flat out, flat broke". I know the name isn't terribly enticing, but he does describe his own attempts to get sponsorship so it should give you some additional information as to what works and what doesn't. And it's an entertaining book. The latter chapters of Jackie Stewart's autobiography are also good for describing the sort of business-like mindset you should adopt when approaching sponsors, of which more later. And it's also an entertaining book...

Remember that success breeds success. About a year ago Williams announced they'd signed AT&T as "Title Sponsor" and the fact that they appeared to have landed this major coup led to more companies having the confidence to sponsor them, while it turned out that AT&T's actual coverage on the car was very limited indeed. (That doesn't mean you should try to pull the wool over sponsors' eyes though...) I took a look at your website and while it's very good in terms of format and presentation the media page has no media coverage on it and the sponsors page doesn't show any sponsors that you have. If you don't appear to have a sponsor already, potential sponsors may infer that it's because it's not worth sponsoring you (pm me if this is the case, I have a suggestion). If you have a sponsor make sure that they get a good prominent piece of space on your website describing what services they provide, why they're brilliant and what their web address is. If you show sponsors that you can add value then it will make sense to them. Otherwise you are simply relying on their generosity, which doesn't necessarily stretch that far.

Do you have some good quality photos of you in your overalls and your kart? Many small companies like to put such photos in their reception or another prominent place to show their community spirit to their customers.

Give a pricelist, if possible. Ask competitors how much they get from their sponsors to get an idea. Some of your potential sponsors will have no experience of karting, no idea what you expect of them and will be scared away by this. Make things as easy as possible for them to say yes!

You may have approached companies, but have you approached PR agencies? They may possibly have a use for you, either as part of the marketing strategy of one of their clients or more likely as a prop which they can use as part of a particular marketing campaign - photoshoots for ads, props in a shopping centre and that kind of thing, each of which earns money. If not there's at least a chance they might be willing to give details of some of their clients who may be interested. And if any of their employees are motor racing fans they might be available to give you infinitely better advice than I ever could.

Do you have firm contacts with your local papers? If not, ring the papers and ask for someone you can speak to in the sport department and - this is important - make sure you keep in contact, and try to contact them on days when they're not too busy if possible. Journalists love easy copy so feed them stories and photos when you've something to shout about. Your attempts to get sponsorship might form the basis of at least one story, for example, and then if that story gets you a sponsor, you could suggest they run a story saying the paper's coverage got you a sponsor! Another thing journos love - self-congratulation.

Remember that business is all about PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS. As well as sending letters see if you or someone involved with you can make an appointment to meet potential sponsors face-to-face. In everything you do, make sure everything about you gives the impression of someone who knows what they're doing. Do the letters you send have some sort of neat letterhead including any sponsors you already have? How's your handshake? Have you done your homework on the people you're approaching? And so on and so forth...

Finally, never give up, never let an opportunity go, and don't beat yourself up if it isn't working. It might work next time. "If you're going through Hell, KEEP GOING..." as Churchill said.

Hope this provides food for thought! Let me know if you're racing in or near the West Midlands and I'll see if I can come along.
Cheers Mate, very helpful

I've emailed 3 companies, with no reply..

This was my email..

Hello,

I am writing to enquire about sponsorship. I am a Karter, racing up and down the country and this season I will be competing in England aswell. I have been racing for 6 years and with some sucess, I am running out of funds to continue racing.

No sponsors currently...

Get's even harder when your financer has just retired :lol:

In return for sponsorship, I could give you kart space, suit space, website space and transport space for advertising

Please take a look at my website, http://www.sammoffat.co.uk

Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you,

Sam Moffat
How long ago did you send the emails Sam? If it was a few days ago I wouldn't worry yet, some companies might take a couple of days to come back as they might want to show the email to the senior figures in the company or whatever departments look after sponsorship. :)
I sent one on Saturday night and two on Sunday..

What sort of companies should I target.. The problem is that I need to get someone quite local, but with the expenses most companies cannot afford it..
Sam,
Heck you could even hound local auto dealership's about some sort of sponsorship. Since the UK is so motorsport's orienated I'm sure the major companie's are constantly hounded for sponsorship's so you may want to think 'out of the box' in the concern that the sponsor does not have to be automotive or motorsport's related in anyway.

As long as you are persistant and keep at it you WILL get some form or sponsorship I have no doubt. Just be able to present a detailed financial requirement's statement as to how much the team will need for the new or next season and let the company decide how much they want to contribute. Meaning dont go out and say I need $5K from you or it's a no deal because as I mentioned once before companie's are alway's competeing against each other.
I would say firstly, don't send emails - they are far too prone to be deleted before the decision makers within a company even see them. You really need to write letters, in the proper business layout, and write them directly to the individual at the head of the company. a proper business layout looks like this:

Your address (on the right of the page)

Recipient's address (on the left)

Date (on the right)

Dear Sir

(letter body)

Yours faithfully

(hand-written signature in ink)

Sam Moffatt

Note that if you write to someone by name, i.e. Dear Mr Smith, "Yours faithfully" is replaced by "Yours sincerely". I used to work for a politician who got begging letters asking for jobs in his office and at least 50% found the bin simply on the presentation alone. "Dear Phil" was a particular no-no!

The companies you are likely to have the most joy with will be privately-owned, successful local businesses with one or two kind-hearted figureheads. Get a programme from a local non-league football match and the businesses advertising inside will probably be a good place to start.
I would say firstly, don't send emails - they are far too prone to be deleted before the decision makers within a company even see them. You really need to write letters, in the proper business layout, and write them directly to the individual at the head of the company. a proper business layout looks like this:

Your address (on the right of the page)

Recipient's address (on the left)

Date (on the right)

Dear Sir

(letter body)

Yours faithfully

(hand-written signature in ink)

Sam Moffatt

Note that if you write to someone by name, i.e. Dear Mr Smith, "Yours faithfully" is replaced by "Yours sincerely". I used to work for a politician who got begging letters asking for jobs in his office and at least 50% found the bin simply on the presentation alone. "Dear Phil" was a particular no-no!

The companies you are likely to have the most joy with will be privately-owned, successful local businesses with one or two kind-hearted figureheads. Get a programme from a local non-league football match and the businesses advertising inside will probably be a good place to start.

Good advice lsd, uh 1ld :wink:
I was about to suggest similar. I would add to this the following: make sure your letter gets proof-read a couple times as to eliminate typos and grammar problems. Most businesses are sticklers and use any excuse to weed out their correspondence - an easy target are badly written letters.
Thanks for all the help guys, greatly appreciated :)

I am competing in the 1st round of the Scottish Championships this weekend. First time ever I am starting the series at one of the Championship favourites, so if I can get a good result I'll contact the local papers and see if we can get an interview or whatever :)

See our F1 related articles too!